• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Dealing with "informed" sellers can be very frustrating. A woman contacted me and said she has 30 longboxes that were left behind in a house she bought. She plugged 80 books randomly into comicspriceguide.com and they are all automatically logged at 9.4 grade or something. The value on the 80 books is a whopping $7000 because things like FF18 in 9.4 are valued on the site as $1800. I think I talked some sense into her but still hoping negotiations go well tomorrow. Waking up at 6 AM for a 5 hour drive. 

When you get there ask her what her best price is. Then suggest she move one of the longboxes herself from point A to point B. Then ask her what her best price is again. I think you'll find that her price has moved considerably, especially if a set or two of stairs are involved.

Edited by darkstar

8 hours ago, darkstar said:

When you get there ask her what her best price is. Then suggest she move one of the longboxes herself from point A to point B. Then ask her what her best price is again. I think you'll find that her price has moved considerably, especially if a set or two of stairs are involved.

I encountered a similar story; a home-flipper bought a hoarder's house that had about 15k comics (among other things).  There was some definite good stuff in there, but a huge chunk of it wasn't bagged/boarded and unsorted (90s modern stuff of low value), plus there weren't any big keys.  I came in pretty low, but I wasn't that keen on the lot.  Turns out another buyer came in and went in much higher, even though I told this buyer it wasn't worth the effort and probably better to walk away.  My point is, despite the seller having gotten this collection for free and not having to do any of the work if there's someone else out there willing to pay a higher amount then it's gonna sell.  Hopefully that isn't the case here, ideally if you're the only buyer interested you control all the negotiation. 

On 2/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, srezvan said:

Popped in to a Goodwill while waiting for dinner (for clarity, I did not get dinner from Goodwill). They had a box of comics, which is unusual for me to see there. Here's what I picked out. I censored the last image. It was a random mix of modern books with a few of these older ones in the back.

Wow, I'm surprised they had comics. I thought they all put them online.

Came prepared to spend some cash but only walked away with one longbox out of the 30. The boxes were full of 90s books as far as the eye could see. She had some early ASM in the 100s which was why I made the trip but there weren't many other bronze books. Walked away with 2 infinity gauntlet sets, 6 infinity war sets, 2nd Punisher app, a bunch of Venom Lethal Protector 1s, and some other good stuff. It was worth my while but not the score I was psyched over. 

4 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Came prepared to spend some cash but only walked away with one longbox out of the 30. The boxes were full of 90s books as far as the eye could see. She had some early ASM in the 100s which was why I made the trip but there weren't many other bronze books. Walked away with 2 infinity gauntlet sets, 6 infinity war sets, 2nd Punisher app, a bunch of Venom Lethal Protector 1s, and some other good stuff. It was worth my while but not the score I was psyched over. 

Wasn't that a 5 hour drive?  You didn't pay her much if a long of 90's books was worth a whole day.

Total cost including gas/food is around $260 for hopefully $1,200-$1,500 of books. Snagged around 300 books and nothing that I will sell for less than $3. Only timesink was the drive there because the drive after was to my hotel for work. I was able to fill in some holes in some of the runs I already have for sale so even the cheap stuff will result in more sales for my existing inventory, added bonus. 

Edited by rsouxlja7

2 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Total cost including gas/food is around $260 for hopefully $1,200-$1,500 of books. Snagged around 300 books and nothing that I will sell for less than $3. Only timesink was the drive there because the drive after was to my hotel for work. I was able to fill in some holes in some of the runs I already have for sale so even the cheap stuff will result in more sales for my existing inventory, added bonus. 

How did you find out about it?  I can never seem to find anything in my area.

2 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Good Job! sounds like you got some decent stuff!

Plus you got a good story to share here!

11 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Well I hope it turns out, but I wouldn't have made that trip without a firmer commitment of a sale and/or more details of what the stuff was.  I mean five hours....I think you need to put a higher value on your time.

Edited by spreads

17 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

How did you find out about it?  I can never seem to find anything in my area.

Craigslist

8 hours ago, spreads said:

Well I hope it turns out, but I wouldn't have made that trip without a firmer commitment of a sale and/or more details of what the stuff was.  I mean five hours....I think you need to put a higher value on your time.

Impossible to vet these things further in some cases. Most of the people that contact me know absolutely nothing about the books they possess. This person knew just enough to show me 80 books with lower cover prices. Plus I figured with 30 boxes it had to be worth it. Some of the people I deal with are also in remote areas so it is very difficult getting in contact with them due to poor phone and internet service. Gotta take a chance on these things sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, KryptoMayor said:

Nothing spectacular but the price was right at $2 a piece. 

424E130B-5D14-4070-ADDB-197EBC548981.jpeg

E1274EDE-07DC-45A3-BC69-0993519E26A8.jpeg

I'm impressed...

Go Joe 21/ omega men 3 I wish that I could find those priced right :)

Congrats!

14 hours ago, KryptoMayor said:

Nothing spectacular but the price was right at $2 a piece. 

424E130B-5D14-4070-ADDB-197EBC548981.jpeg

E1274EDE-07DC-45A3-BC69-0993519E26A8.jpeg

At $2 a pop I'd say fairly spectacular!