• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

I’m at an estate sale right now. It starts at 8am so I’m 5 hours early. I’m first in line, started the list. My friends sale. She told me there’s like 200 comics , records etc. For those of you that don’t know how estate sales work, you get there first. Get here late, it’s gone.

https://www.estatesales.net/MA/Haverhill/01830/1887822

Edited by Junkdrawer

5 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

I’m at an estate sale right now. It starts at 8am so I’m 5 hours early. I’m first in line, started the list. My friends sale. She told me there’s like 200 comics , records etc. For those of you that don’t know how estate sales work, you get there first. Get here late, it’s gone.

That's interesting, how does "the list" work? Does that mean you get to look through everything you want first? Every estate sale I've been to locally had a firm start, so being first in the door may give you an advantage, but basically once the door was open it was bedlam to race and get whatever you wanted, no list involved.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That's interesting, how does "the list" work? Does that mean you get to look through everything you want first? Every estate sale I've been to locally had a firm start, so being first in the door may give you an advantage, but basically once the door was open it was bedlam to race and get whatever you wanted, no list involved.

What he's referring to is more like a 'content sale'; a sale organized through an executor or a content sale company like 'sell my stuff'.  How 'sell my stuff' operates is that you get there in line, they hand out tickets, then you have an hour or so before they open doors based on ticket priority (usually it's a few at a time).  I saw one of these where I snagged a ton of comics early (I'm pretty sure the story is embedded way back in this thread somewhere).....now this company is so popular in this area it's almost a feeding-frenzy at the start.  I've only gone to a few of these in the very late hours of the sale, I picked up a few nice items late because they offer discounts to really move items near the end.  It's essentially a reverse-auction where the first people through the door get first crack....

6 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Did some jerk show up and buy all the comics?

7 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Wait-- is this a friend of yours running it or their stuff? Seems like a prime opportunity to look over the books and deal without it depending on the start time. Do you already know what books are there?

8 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Looks like a good one Chris. It pays to be the early "jerk". The lazy chumps get the scraps. Tin toys seem to be worth looking at as does that Barbie case. Records as you know are always fast sellers. Hope the comics pan out and you score!

2 hours ago, spreads said:

What he's referring to is more like a 'content sale'; a sale organized through an executor or a content sale company like 'sell my stuff'.  How 'sell my stuff' operates is that you get there in line, they hand out tickets, then you have an hour or so before they open doors based on ticket priority (usually it's a few at a time).  I saw one of these where I snagged a ton of comics early (I'm pretty sure the story is embedded way back in this thread somewhere).....now this company is so popular in this area it's almost a feeding-frenzy at the start.  I've only gone to a few of these in the very late hours of the sale, I picked up a few nice items late because they offer discounts to really move items near the end.  It's essentially a reverse-auction where the first people through the door get first crack....

Yep, they are a feeding frenzy here too. Usually they let the first 10 or so in line first. You head to where what you want is and grab it fast. Sometimes the person running the show will tell you where it is. The good stuff is gone right away. I have pretty much stopped going to them. Usually not worth it. There is also usually deals made between the person putting on the sale and their friends. I've been one of those "friends". Fair? Life ain't fair kids. These aren't for the passive or faint of heart...

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Wait-- is this a friend of yours running it or their stuff? Seems like a prime opportunity to look over the books and deal without it depending on the start time. Do you already know what books are there?

We are not that friendly and she runs an honest estate sale ie first come first serve. It was all mid/late 70s marvel and dc. ASM, DD, Flash, Bats, Tecs, Green Lanten etc. I counted 280 books and gave $150. The condition was very nice overall

4 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Did some jerk show up and buy all the comics?

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Looks like a good one Chris. It pays to be the early "jerk". The lazy chumps get the scraps. Tin toys seem to be worth looking at as does that Barbie case. Records as you know are always fast sellers. Hope the comics pan out and you score!

I feel like folks took the "jerks" thing much, much more seriously than it was ever intended. But if it continues to amuse you guys, feel free to run with it, I suppose.

Jerks.

5 hours ago, spreads said:

Got it, thanks! I've not participated in a sale that was set up that way, but it makes sense!

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

In some cases such as a small house, they might decide to only let a certain number of people in. 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

I feel like folks took the "jerks" thing much, much more seriously than it was ever intended. But if it continues to amuse you guys, feel free to run with it, I suppose.

Jerks.

Ryan got there late and some “jerk” got the books. 

Estate Sales often have organized lists and certainly have organized and set start times. You show up early and wait. First come first in the door and often they control entry to limit crowding.  Showing up early is more like lining up for Black Friday.

Garage sales are looser and privately organized with less of a gateway. Many sellers set up annually or less frequent and may not know people will show up so they are unprepared to respond. So showing up early means you are willing to encroach on someone's property before the stated invitation time for the sake of a potential deal. 1. you don't necessarily know what they are selling and 2. even if you do the asking price is rarely known. Often people let you in and certainly the competition will go there. But, IMO, this is a far different thing from estate sales.

You CAN go early to garage sales. It should be considered jerky in most cases. But... stuff and resale so screw it all.

tldr early to estate sales is fine. Early to garage sales is usually a jerky move.