• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,806 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2018 at 2:29 AM, Junkdrawer said:

No Comics today, but I did snag this lovely rack. Anyone care to guess on its vintage?

image.jpg

God I love your shop.

My wife and I are seriously considering something similar if we can find the right spot.

Can I ask - does having your shop detract from the hobby, or do you find it enriches it as you discover more new things?

Keep posting pictures mate - it's wonderful!

1 hour ago, Beige said:

God I love your shop.

My wife and I are seriously considering something similar if we can find the right spot.

Can I ask - does having your shop detract from the hobby, or do you find it enriches it as you discover more new things?

Keep posting pictures mate - it's wonderful!

Tough during the nice weather buying season. I’m such a fan of so many other things. Keeping a focus on Comics isn’t an easy. It’s my true passion and I don’t miss much. At this stage (7+years) I’ve learned what sells better for my shop so I’m not tying up capital. Im afraid to leave myself so shot of funds that I won’t be ready when the “Old Lady with the Actions walks in”

On 8/1/2018 at 10:06 PM, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

I've said it before but I'll say it again, I'm insanely jealous of all of you who find decent or better comic books out in the big, wild world. I've never come across anything more than a stack or box of worthless 90s dreck, usually without bags or boards and often with more rips and creases than you can shake a stick at.

This fall, if I can find the time, I hope to start hitting garage and tag sales on weekends in search of comics. Maybe a flea market or two if possible.

Keep looking. Look all the time. Comics are everywhere.

Late Friday night I saw a posting about a barn garage sale, 9k comics advertised.  I checked googly maps and the location only showed 35 minutes away (I'm out at the cottage in a remote area); woke up early with the wildlife and hit the road....

I should have spent more time looking at google maps, I didn't recognize the town name and the address given was way off nowhere near where the cottage was (three hours away in the opposite direction) so I went home and spent the day doing errands - eradicating a hornet's nest!  T

he next day, FineCollector and I chat about this for a bit, the location was a little over an hour from the city so my gf and I made the day trip out there (wanted to see everything he had). 

Here's some pics...all comics were in the upstairs part of about 1/5th of the Barn, I really doubt there were 9k comics.   Holy mess I thought I was going to pass out up there, it was brutally hot!  I did manage to find some books below really cheap, there was a lot of junk - ironically underneath there's a pile of wooden milk crates that would have more value than some of the comics (one of them was filled with just copper star trek comics).  

IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

Here's a few more pics of the property, the guy is a full-time picker and I would like to go back there and just see the other stuff that he has (it was by far the largest collection of antiques and collectibles I've seen from one individual).  He tells me he sells the high-end stuff, ($300 tea cups?) online (keeps in his house) but his barn was packed full - it was really amazing!   Everything you can imagine...

The story on the comics goes like this, a long time ago a dealer in the city declared personal bankruptcy and this picker bought the lot, did one show shortly afterwards selling a ton of stuff then, and I believe put the rest of the comics in the attic of the barn ever since.  And they're not going anywhere!  :)    I'll keep in touch with him and see if he encounters any more comics in his picking - he could be a valuable resource...

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

Edited by spreads

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

You know they've been at it for a while when all the extra chairs are hanging from the ceiling

He said he was 55 but looked about 70.  :D 

If he was closer to the city he would be very popular, although he did mention he has certain types of repeat buyers (oil and gas stuff for example)...

9 hours ago, spreads said:

Here's a few more pics of the property, the guy is a full-time picker and I would like to go back there and just see the other stuff that he has (it was by far the largest collection of antiques and collectibles I've seen from one individual).  He tells me he sells the high-end stuff, ($300 tea cups?) online (keeps in his house) but his barn was packed full - it was really amazing!   Everything you can imagine...

The story on the comics goes like this, a long time ago a dealer in the city declared personal bankruptcy and this picker bought the lot, did one show shortly afterwards selling a ton of stuff then, and I believe put the rest of the comics in the attic of the barn ever since.  And they're not going anywhere!  :)    I'll keep in touch with him and see if he encounters any more comics in his picking - he could be a valuable resource...

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

I love places like that. There aren't too many out here on the west coast. Looks like a lot of junk but there is enough in the photos that would make me want to stop in and do some digging. Those comics probably haven't been touched in years. Love the lake house photo. What a beautiful place. 

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I love places like that. There aren't too many out here on the west coast. Looks like a lot of junk but there is enough in the photos that would make me want to stop in and do some digging. Those comics probably haven't been touched in years. Love the lake house photo. What a beautiful place. 

Thanks, I actually didn't have time to look through his barn as he was closing down, but I'll go back there at some point and take more photos of his stuff.  If I knew about stuff other than comics I'm sure there's good finds, he would do well if he was closer to the city...not many people are willing to venture out for a drive.  

15 hours ago, spreads said:

Thanks, I actually didn't have time to look through his barn as he was closing down, but I'll go back there at some point and take more photos of his stuff.  If I knew about stuff other than comics I'm sure there's good finds, he would do well if he was closer to the city...not many people are willing to venture out for a drive.  

Now that you've done the legwork, I might! :bigsmile:

On 8/2/2018 at 6:06 PM, Robot Man said:

Congrats!  That looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to go through. Can't be easy finding old comics and comic collections where you are. 

They keep them perfectly preserved under the tundra.  It's a haven for pristine books.

Half price books finds... they had x-factor #6 as well, but I already have that graded, plus they wanted $50 for it O.olol

I should have known that I was over paying for this #5 as well at $20 meh but I didn't own one yet. 

On the plus side, I did find part 2 of the Jim Lee and Dell Otto red Sonja claw series, so there is that (thumbsu

20180809_144421.jpg

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Half price books finds... they had x-factor #6 as well, but I already have that graded, plus they wanted $50 for it O.olol

I should have known that I was over paying for this #5 as well at $20 meh but I didn't own one yet. 

On the plus side, I did find part 2 of the Jim Lee and Dell Otto red Sonja claw series, so there is that (thumbsu

20180809_144421.jpg

do they still put stickers on the covers?