• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

do they still put stickers on the covers?

The one's with bags and boards, yes! But they've got a lot better at that, thank God. 

Usually the ones under lock and key, those bins always have bags and boards, and then also stickers on the outside. The raws in the regular bins that are "half off", sometimes have bags or boards or both, but always no stickers (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

32 minutes ago, kilowatt said:

Always wanted to post here. I had many great finds over the years, but never had the time to show everyone. So I hit up a community garage sale today. Friday and Saturday are the big sale days, but many were getting an early start. These are my findings after looking at around 12 homes. I did set up a time to check out a guys 250 book collection of Army type comics. He had the 2 out that I bought, and he was going to dig out the rest for me tomorrow. I know where I`ll be spending most of my Friday.

GARAGE1.jpg

GARAGE2.jpg

It's nice that you found some treasuries and mags! Congrats! The poptart and superman/flash, nice haul ^^

1 hour ago, kilowatt said:

Always wanted to post here. I had many great finds over the years, but never had the time to show everyone. So I hit up a community garage sale today. Friday and Saturday are the big sale days, but many were getting an early start. These are my findings after looking at around 12 homes. I did set up a time to check out a guys 250 book collection of Army type comics. He had the 2 out that I bought, and he was going to dig out the rest for me tomorrow. I know where I`ll be spending most of my Friday.

GARAGE1.jpg

GARAGE2.jpg

Nice stuff for a garage sale. A wide variety of stuff. Love the MAD #24. Did you notice much competition?

I walked up on a few yards and there was nobody around. The ones that had people there were mostly women looking for clothes for their kids. With the exception of the Han Solo books, the top picture with the Superman books were not out. I asked the sellers if they had any comics and the guy brought a small box out. I bought the box, but the other stuff didn`t have much value. I did it to get a better deal buying it all and not leaving the guy with junk.

Edited by kilowatt

4 minutes ago, kilowatt said:

I bought the box, but the other stuff didn`t have much value. I did it to get a better deal buying it all and not leaving the guy with junk.

If by that, you mean you bought the box so that he wouldnt look up a book you singled out, we get it.  No need for the fake altruism of "not leaving the guy with junk" :roflmao:

No, YOU don`t get it. I`m sorry, I don`t think your way. I bought the entire box even though the other books were worthless. I could have been an jerk and just took the nice stuff and left him with junk. Maybe that`s your way. But I gave him a good price for everything. I took the good with the bad. Nothing fake about it. And FYI it was his sons books, prices were already on them. Where do you get off judging me? 

2 hours ago, kilowatt said:

No, YOU don`t get it. I`m sorry, I don`t think your way. I bought the entire box even though the other books were worthless. I could have been an jerk and just took the nice stuff and left him with junk. Maybe that`s your way. But I gave him a good price for everything. I took the good with the bad. Nothing fake about it. And FYI it was his sons books, prices were already on them. Where do you get off judging me? 

don't mind him. he's a sour puss

Edited by jsilverjanet

27 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

This thread is (or should be) a safe haven from the ethical warriors. :sumo:

We share our finds here, not how much we paid. :sumo:

Seems like we all look for that magical 'find', but then are held accountable if the 'find' includes books of significance at dirt cheap prices.  Who is to blame?  The buyer? The seller?  Both?

Ethics at a garage sale?  People are getting rid of stuff they don't want.  It is up to them to do some research if they are getting rid of a painting by van Gogh, an original print of the Declaration of Independence or a Tec 27. 

In regards to ethics. I've watched PBS' Antiques Roadshow for years, and I do not recall any appraiser or anyone else for that matter, ever tell someone "you need to go back and give so and so some more money because that item you bought for two dollars is worth twenty thousand". It seems like every show has some type of item or items that are bought dirt cheap and turn into high dollar items, and never once did I think "hmmm maybe he needs to kick some money back to the original owner.." Or are the ethics different because in comics we have a pretty good idea what books are worth a lot ahead of time versus neither the buyer or seller of some antiques being aware of an items value until appraised? So in other words, it's not unethical to get a good deal out of ignorance? I just go by my instinct - if it doesn't feel right, then maybe it's not...

When you paint it:  you are knowingly fleecing somebody- then of course is sounds wrong.  If that is the case, then any comic book purchased well under FMV by a comic book collector at a garage sale, flea market etc, should be considered ethically wrong.  Because most of us here know the good stuff from the drek. 

I always thought if I found an Action Comics #1 at a Garage Sale, and was able to turn it into a big money auction sale, I would go back and split it with the person who sold it to me.   Then it would probably turn into a legal sideshow with lawyers etc., and who wants that?  Fortunately this scenario will never (99.99999999% sure) happen.   Always looking though. 

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

Seems like we all look for that magical 'find', but then are held accountable if the 'find' includes books of significance at dirt cheap prices.  Who is to blame?  The buyer? The seller?  Both?

Ethics at a garage sale?  People are getting rid of stuff they don't want.  It is up to them to do some research if they are getting rid of a painting by van Gogh, an original print of the Declaration of Independence or a Tec 27. 

Zactly!  I saw a guy buy a whole stack of Walking Dead from #1 up + a lot of other hot moderns for $2. each last Sunday morning at the flea market. Did I say a word to either the buyer or seller? NO. Good for both of them. She got rid of a pile of pesky old funny books she probably bought for a song at a garage sale and the buyer got the deal of the year. Would I have bought them for that price? Hell yes, in a heartbeat and walked away on clouds. But sadly, it was his lucky day not mine. :sorry:

On the bright side... He did overlook Saga #1 and a couple other hot Image books that went home with me as a consolation prize.

Yep, it's a conspiracy I tells ya! Go back to the used bookstore, and yet another airboy! At least I read the last copy, not a bad story (thumbsu

Also a cool run of Dell Otto covers. :)

20180810_134758.jpg

20180810_134548.jpg

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I sure hope you paid FULL retail for those!  :roflmao:

:roflmao: I agree, but alas only a $1 a piece.... :baiting:

which for the Dell Otto's is meh but alas, can't win them all 

Isn't the fundamental appeal of yard sales and flea markets that stuff can be had cheaply? I think if the seller can't be bothered to determine the value of his wares he gets what he deserves when selling. I wish everyone would post the prices they paid, that to me is a huge part of the appeal of these very fun stories, but I get why they don't. I bought a gorgeous Beatles butcher cover for a buck. I bought a box of Tops baseball cards from the 50s with multiples of all the big stars for two bucks. And plenty of other amazing deals as well. These are awesome stories and the price is, to me at least, a big part of it.

BTW, these scores were back in the 70's when stuff like this was much more common. Still have the record; the cards paid for a year of study abroad.

Edited by mackenzie999