• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

Isn't the fundamental appeal of yard sales and flea markets that stuff can be had cheaply? I think if the seller can't be bothered to determine the value of his wares he gets what he deserves when selling. I wish everyone would post the prices they paid, that to me is a huge part of the appeal of these very fun stories, but I get why they don't. I bought a gorgeous Beatles butcher cover for a buck. I bought a box of Tops baseball cards from the 50s with multiples of all the big stars for two bucks. And plenty of other amazing deals as well. These are awesome stories and the price is, to me at least, a big part of it.

BTW, these scores were back in the 70's when stuff like this was much more common. Still have the record; the cards paid for a year of study abroad.

You got a real deal on that Butcher cover. I had to pay full retail of $2.99 when it came out.

Yeah, very few if anybody get "rich" buying or selling stuff like this. 75% of going to garage sales, flea markets, antique stores is the thrill of the hunt and the possibility of a score. A lot of collectors love to brag how much they spent on a book or something. I get a LOT more enjoyment  when I pay very little. I would love to share some stories here but just don't need the "ethics" crowd ramming their opinion at me. Then again, that's THEIR opinion and at the end of the day, I couldn't care less. 

40 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

Isn't the fundamental appeal of yard sales and flea markets that stuff can be had cheaply? I think if the seller can't be bothered to determine the value of his wares he gets what he deserves when selling. I wish everyone would post the prices they paid, that to me is a huge part of the appeal of these very fun stories, but I get why they don't. I bought a gorgeous Beatles butcher cover for a buck. I bought a box of Tops baseball cards from the 50s with multiples of all the big stars for two bucks. And plenty of other amazing deals as well. These are awesome stories and the price is, to me at least, a big part of it.

BTW, these scores were back in the 70's when stuff like this was much more common. Still have the record; the cards paid for a year of study abroad.

Those finds you describe above are awesome , even if it was back in the 1970,s ?????

12 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

Those finds you describe above are awesome , even if it was back in the 1970,s ?????

The butcher cover I actually had for quite awhile before realizing what it was (it was a paste-over copy). I had another dealer literally follow me all the way to my car haranguing me to sell him the cards. Funny story on the cards: I asked how much, and they said $5. I said each? disappointed that I couldn't buy them all. They looked confused for a minute then said ok two bucks for the whole box. I have a ton of other success stories like this, but at some point around 1980 or so all the flea markets ended up being 99.9% resellers of household products or cheap new knickknacks and stuff like that so I stopped going.

25 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

You got a real deal on that Butcher cover. I had to pay full retail of $2.99 when it came out.

Yeah, very few if anybody get "rich" buying or selling stuff like this. 75% of going to garage sales, flea markets, antique stores is the thrill of the hunt and the possibility of a score. A lot of collectors love to brag how much they spent on a book or something. I get a LOT more enjoyment  when I pay very little. I would love to share some stories here but just don't need the "ethics" crowd ramming their opinion at me. Then again, that's THEIR opinion and at the end of the day, I couldn't care less. 

I always enjoy your posts here and I know you've been at this a long time. I'm sure you've made some great scores that would really wind up people who like to flaunt their ethics. There are reasonable arguments to be made on both sides, but the strongest argument to me is seller beware.

Edited by mackenzie999

9 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

I always enjoy your posts here and I know you've been at this a long time. I'm sure you've made some great scores that would really wind up people who like to flaunt their ethics. There are reasonable arguments to be made on both sides, but the strongest argument to me is seller beware.

I agree that the seller needs to take some responsibility, especially when you hear things like that guy in eastern Canada that found an AF 15 (I think at the time worth about 25k, much more now) for basically nothing.  I mean, how do you not take 10 seconds to do a search on an old comic 'introducing spider-man', especially when it's the only book there?! 

Having said that, if I found a comic worth 25k for free I'd probably send the homeowner something in the mail down the line, especially if there's any type of indicator they could use a few bucks.  I'm not saying everyone should do that, but it's a nice gesture that would go a long way. 

Just now, spreads said:

I agree that the seller needs to take some responsibility, especially when you hear things like that guy in eastern Canada that found an AF 15 (I think at the time worth about 25k, much more now) for basically nothing.  I mean, how do you not take 10 seconds to do a search on an old comic 'introducing spider-man', especially when it's the only book there?! 

Having said that, if I found a comic worth 25k for free I'd probably send the homeowner something in the mail down the line, especially if there's any type of indicator they could use a few bucks.  I'm not saying everyone should do that, but it's a nice gesture that would go a long way. 

Generosity is never a bad idea, especially in cases of need. Just be smart and send the money anonymously to avoid potential regret.

1 hour ago, spreads said:

If I ask and the seller quotes a price I like, I just buy it and leave. (and thank him). I NEVER ask if he will take less on something great at a giveaway price. If they ask me to make an offer, I never will. No matter what offer you make, the seller thinks you are screwing him. I will say, what will make YOU happy? If they won't quote a price, I walk away. 

Have I flipped a seller some cash after I sold the item? Sure, a couple of times especially if I know them or have gotton a lot of cool stuff from them. One time, it was a considerable amount in cash. He asked me why I was handing him the money. I told him he sold me something and I flipped it. He asked me what it was and what I got for it. I wouldn't tell him. I just said I felt it was the right thing to do. Guess what happened? Now, he doesn't trust me and won't sell me stuff. So much for honesty...

1 hour ago, Montezuma said:

I’ve bought at Flea Markets, Garage Sales, and advertised for collections since the 1970’s. I don’t have a lot of time for it now, but used to do it pretty regular. If someone has an item set out and priced (Garage Sale, Flea Market) they have decided what they want for the item and I have no problem giving them a dollar for their Brave and Bold 28. I’ve spent 50 years studying and learning the value of comics and other collectables. On the other hand if they don’t have it priced and ask me what it’s worth, then I’ll give them an honest appraisal and offer a percentage that I’m willing to pay.

There are times when after the appraisal they want too much, so I’m out my time, but I’ve had a lot of luck. As an example back in the late 70’s I went to a farm in North Dakota. The lady had a little over 750 Golden-age / early Silver comics. I went through them and gave her an estimate of $3,500 and told her I couldn’t afford to make an offer (I was fresh out of school and broke), but if she’d sell me the Little Lulu’s cheap I’d be willing to put her in touch with a dealer who could make an offer. She said she’d talked to a dealer already and all he wanted was the Torchy and Lady Luck issues for $1 each, how much could I afford? I came up with $500, she took it, and we were both happy.

Years later she called me back with a silver age collection, mostly DC in VG shape no Keys. Normally I wouldn’t have paid a lot for it, but I wasn’t broke anymore, so I paid her higher because of the earlier collection.

One of the books from the collection

867206183_Torchy5_zpsqul8nbfg.jpg.a65d44014a643e7e676061c934b28dc1.jpg

Great story and even better that you still have that beautiful Torchy as a souvenier of a cool collection!

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

If I ask and the seller quotes a price I like, I just buy it and leave. (and thank him). I NEVER ask if he will take less on something great at a giveaway price. If they ask me to make an offer, I never will. No matter what offer you make, the seller thinks you are screwing him. I will say, what will make YOU happy? If they won't quote a price, I walk away. 

Have I flipped a seller some cash after I sold the item? Sure, a couple of times especially if I know them or have gotton a lot of cool stuff from them. One time, it was a considerable amount in cash. He asked me why I was handing him the money. I told him he sold me something and I flipped it. He asked me what it was and what I got for it. I wouldn't tell him. I just said I felt it was the right thing to do. Guess what happened? Now, he doesn't trust me and won't sell me stuff. So much for honesty...

Good advice all around. Though I am curious as what you do if they give a price that is just outside your comfort range-- do you still not haggle at all? Say a book is worth a $1000 (retail) and you would be willing to pay $350 but they ask for $500 (sorry if these numbers are not close to your normal spread).

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Good advice all around. Though I am curious as what you do if they give a price that is just outside your comfort range-- do you still not haggle at all? Say a book is worth a $1000 (retail) and you would be willing to pay $350 but they ask for $500 (sorry if these numbers are not close to your normal spread).

It all depends on the book and how much I want it. If the seller's price is reasonably close, I might make an offer. If we are just too far off, I usually pass. There just isn't very much I really GOT to have anymore. 

12 hours ago, FineCollector said:

If by that, you mean you bought the box so that he wouldnt look up a book you singled out, we get it.  No need for the fake altruism of "not leaving the guy with junk" :roflmao:

This is exactly my way of thinking, last thing I want is the guy thinking too much and changing his mind so I ask for a lot price. I am unemcumbered by pesky morals at garage sales. 

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It all depends on the book and how much I want it. If the seller's price is reasonably close, I might make an offer. If we are just too far off, I usually pass. There just isn't very much I really GOT to have anymore. 

I have the same mentality. 

Just recently broke the rule of not offering on something where we started really far apart.  They came down quite a bit, I went more than I'd originally wanted.  But I now own it and am pretty happy with it. 

Patrick

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Well I guess you can't please everyone....didn't someone say make it anonymous?  Maybe throw a brick tied with cash through his car window - equally confusing.  lol

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Well I guess you can't please everyone....didn't someone say make it anonymous?  Maybe throw a brick tied with cash through his car window - equally confusing.  lol

I thought I let my gratitude be known since I liked the guy. Thought I'd "do the right thing". I don't do that anymore. 

Estate sale pickups from this morning. Low grade but that's ok! The estate sale was a little annoying with their signage and pricing. They had a couple waaayyyy overpriced Supermans and a Ghost Rider (GA) in a case by the register. Rest of the books were in another room. Just about all were Disney books. These, some WDC&S, Dell Mickeys, etc. Maybe a dozen other random titles. Sign says $2 each. Only later did they say there was a second sign that the Disneys were $10 each. Left the WDC&S and they were super rough and not ones I was after.

15340023973405639434405129656170.jpg

Sorry to get everyone off track with my purchase/post. I`ve read this thread and historically nobody posts what they paid. It`s what keeps this thread exciting. In my opinion, if the seller is happy and the buyer is happy it`s a wash. Like Robot Man said, if the deal don`t seem right just walk away. There have been times at flea markets that I passed on an item then swung back around after changing my mind. Sometimes it`s still there, sometimes it`s not. I may get angry with myself for missing the opportunity, but then again I could only blame myself. 

6 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

The thrill of the hunt keeps me going. It’s been a minute, but found some nice books while on vacay with my better half

63229380-4EBE-422C-ABEA-F5FCFB544FD3.jpeg

51475000-BE7D-463B-9812-2C1A5772CF6F.jpeg

9000BE9C-D661-4FC8-AFC1-9A3113E027FC.jpeg

Nice! I like the ultimate X, cable and deadpool, I've found the moon knight copy in the wild but not the blood version! Congrats!