• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

Just now, shadroch said:

Nice. Was that the Bellmore one or is there a new flea market?

Bellmore... I rarely stop by these days because there really isn't anything worth seeing.  I figured I would make a pit stop as I was in the area. 

Any GI Joes were broken to the point that they could not even be used for parts forget about weapons.  There were G-VG Fine at best Comics thrown about at VF-NM prices but nothing that I wouldn't place in a discount bin. 

I was very glad to see this one train guy there as I bought a couple of items from him last year.  He always has some nice stuff... I was debating a new engine but I would rather pick up a new engine from Trainland where they will back it up.  Not saying these guys are dishonest at all, but with a Lionel engine you cannot test it at the Flea Market and next week is the last set up until next year.  

I mostly set up the Lego Trains in the basement but if I am going to put a circle on the floor for Christmas you gotta go Old School O Scale Lionel. 

I feel he got the items he wanted to keep for $20 less then he paid and you got what you wanted. If he was happy with the deal there should be no problem. I once found a group of items at a flea market, and since I knew a guy that collects records was there, I pulled a few I knew he`d be interested in. I myself don`t collect them. When i ran into him later I showed him what I purchased and he bought them all off of me. He offered what he thought was a fair price and I accepted. He didn`t ask what I paid for them, he was just happy to add them to his collection at a good price. I made out, he made out, we went our separate ways happy. 

2 hours ago, westerberg14 said:

I went to an estate auction that had a few key silver age books, but they were bid out of my price range.  Off to the side was a stack of gold key/dell books that included this VG copy of Fight Comics 81.  The bids ran up to over $40, so that was more than i wanted to spend after fees to take home books i didn't want.  As a last chance to try to not go home empty handed, I pulled off a deal that i haven't tried before.  I offered the buyer $20 for the Fight book from the lot and he said sure, since he didn't know much about that book.  If I would have had a $10 bill, I would have offered that - but i still think it was a good deal to get a pre-code book, which is the last appearance / cover of Tiger Girl in Fight title and in better than expected condition since it wasn't bagged at the auction. Is this a reasonable offer or considered in bad taste at auctions?

Fight 81.jpg

I see it happen a lot. I was bidding Thursday for a box of magazines solely for the hardcover triumph & Torment in there and almost tried the same thing with the guy who outbid me. But then I realized I have 2 sc and 1 hc of the book already so I moved along. I did see two other instances where the underbidders walked over and bought a few items from the winners.

On 11/17/2018 at 5:55 AM, Callaway29 said:

:whatthe:  Honey hole...

Yeah, the last few months have been ridiculous. Usually, I find a small handful of books in this place that should be $5-15 for $1-3, or I find some higher dollar books that are priced right on the edge of where I would be comfortable. I have only bought in this shop occasionally over the years, but lately it has been great. I found out that one of the dealers had a husband pass away. She is SLOWLY but surely putting his stuff up for sale. The comics are only part, I guess. So, I would like to just get a look at the whole collection, and get a chance to pick it. But, I think I will have to be content with her bringing in a stack every couple weeks. The Strange Tales stack was a NICE surprise. Most has been bronze/copper runs. Nothing too exciting. This dealer had the one Fox romance book, and I have grabbed a few Sgt Fury 12c issues at sub-$5 prices. But the Strange Tales stack was a bonanza. I think there are some upgrades for my ST125 - 160 run, but I have to go back and check them out with a list in hand. The Crime Mysteries and Astonishing were from another dealer altogether who prices his stuff WAY too high. Those two just happened to be special. I was happy to pay his prices for that pair of books.

Edited by elibowman

On 11/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, westerberg14 said:

I went to an estate auction that had a few key silver age books, but they were bid out of my price range.  Off to the side was a stack of gold key/dell books that included this VG copy of Fight Comics 81.  The bids ran up to over $40, so that was more than i wanted to spend after fees to take home books i didn't want.  As a last chance to try to not go home empty handed, I pulled off a deal that i haven't tried before.  I offered the buyer $20 for the Fight book from the lot and he said sure, since he didn't know much about that book.  If I would have had a $10 bill, I would have offered that - but i still think it was a good deal to get a pre-code book, which is the last appearance / cover of Tiger Girl in Fight title and in better than expected condition since it wasn't bagged at the auction. Is this a reasonable offer or considered in bad taste at auctions?

Fight 81.jpg

I do that all the time at auctions.  Never hurts to ask as many times in lots, the buyer only wants one thing.

15 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Well they can't all be winners. Contacted by a guy who was selling his late uncle's comic collection. He was 5 hours away so I ask for a lot of information. He was very responsive the first day then would not commit to a meeting and became less responsive as a couple weeks went by. The few pics he sent showed some good 12 cent stuff like Captain America, including #100, and some bronze age that were hot. He had like 10 longboxes though so I didn't know what to expect on the rest, nor did I know if it was an all or nothing deal. I convinced him to meet me halfway, a 2.5 hour drive for each of us after telling him how much cash I'd be willing to pay for the right books. 

So we meet aaaaand it seems to be a major bust. He has what seems like all of the boxes but says he could not fit them all in his SUV, which was packed to the gills. The majority of this stuff was total garbage. The original owner was a major speculator and bought 10+ copies of the most random books. Stuff I've never even heard of. While I'm looking he tells me he thinks he forgot the Cap 100 at home. Well turns out he forgot every book he sent me photos of at home. So here I am with a potential 7 hours of wasted time on my hands when I am scrambling to put together something to make this worthwhile. I ended up with a full longbox, including these 4 books the OO speculated on.

~40 copies of New Mutants 18, 15 Suicide Squad 1, 25 New Mutants 1, 15 Daredevil 183. The weird thing is he had around 15 of Daredevil 178-187 but 0 of 181 and 184. The guy made it sound like I am the first person to get my hands on these so I am not sure what happened here. They're either in the boxes that got left behind or someone picked them out of the boxes before me, but it sounded like I was the first person to look at them.

1.thumb.jpg.6dcaefa1e5e16a7ab2c110844864c4fb.jpg

Good recovery, getting something to make it worthwhile is how you turn losers into winners or at worst ties. It's probably the hardest part of buying collections.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:33 PM, srezvan said:

I love Garbage Pail Kids. Purchased a nice lot that included a full box of unopened packs, lots of other unopened packs, and about 150 single cards. Made my day.

20181117_210323.jpg

I can smell this picture.  

2 hours ago, Wipple said:

Got a call to check out a 500 book collection that his "uncle left him".  Highlight of the collection was a dirty old bag of she hulks.

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

"Dirty old bag of She-Hulks" is now gonna be my go to put-down.