• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,806 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Bird said:

I sold one here on the boards (Tribune one) for $4 or so not too long ago. It is a fun book, picked it up at a flea market for less than $1.

true-- and those Tribune ones appear much more common than the other versions I found checking it out a bit. I could not find that same cover that @Mercury Man had at all in the ComicBookRealm (CBR) website. It might be in the grand comics database-- didn't check there. CBR lists the Tribune version as a one shot (1980- though it has Dec 1979 cover date) and then has another title set as "giveaways" where there were about 5 different covers (possibly stories as well) with some repetition from various different newspapers.

Those listed were:

Dallas Times Herald Giveaway (cover says "Pipeline to Peril") - 1980

Three different papers doing one with the "Missing Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders" on the cover as well - Dallas Times Herald, Tulsa World, and Sanger Harris (1982)

Kansas City Star Giveaway  (title on cover says "Chaos in Kansas City" (1982)

Austin American Statesman Giveaway  (story about a rodeo shoot or something) 1982 - also found in two other papers - San Antonio News Express & Houston Chronicle

Denver Post Giveaway  (Team up against Dr. Doom in the Colorado Caper) 1982

But in all of those-- did not see one that looked like your cover at all.

I would hang on to it until you know more about it.

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

true-- and those Tribune ones appear much more common than the other versions I found checking it out a bit. I could not find that same cover that @Mercury Man had at all in the ComicBookRealm (CBR) website. It might be in the grand comics database-- didn't check there. CBR lists the Tribune version as a one shot (1980- though it has Dec 1979 cover date) and then has another title set as "giveaways" where there were about 5 different covers (possibly stories as well) with some repetition from various different newspapers.

Those listed were:

Dallas Times Herald Giveaway (cover says "Pipeline to Peril") - 1980

Three different papers doing one with the "Missing Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders" on the cover as well - Dallas Times Herald, Tulsa World, and Sanger Harris (1982)

Kansas City Star Giveaway  (title on cover says "Chaos in Kansas City" (1982)

Austin American Statesman Giveaway  (story about a rodeo shoot or something) 1982 - also found in two other papers - San Antonio News Express & Houston Chronicle

Denver Post Giveaway  (Team up against Dr. Doom in the Colorado Caper) 1982

But in all of those-- did not see one that looked like your cover at all.

I would hang on to it until you know more about it.

A number of these are listed in Overstreet. In terms of the Columbia Dispatch book, comicspriceguide.com lists it at $14 in 9.4, which is more or less compatible with the previous poster’s MCS listing. The CPG listing has had 3372 searches, which suggests its not uncommon.

I think the ones that are listed in Overstreet are in the $16-$20 range in NM-, though I don’t recall if this particular one is there.

1 minute ago, Brock said:

A number of these are listed in Overstreet. In terms of the Columbia Dispatch book, comicspriceguide.com lists it at $14 in 9.4, which is more or less compatible with the previous poster’s MCS listing. The CPG listing has had 3372 searches, which suggests its not uncommon.

I think the ones that are listed in Overstreet are in the $16-$20 range in NM-, though I don’t recall if this particular one is there.

interesting

What struck me was finding out that a book I have always thought was a one shot thing has so many other versions. I bet there is someone out there hunting down every single version from every single paper-- since the newspaper imprint is a form of variant imo.

Nobody went out this weekend? I jumped out of the car to take a 3 minute look at some comics a guy was selling on the street. Picked these up. The Batman 567 and 570 are newsstands as is shadow of the bat 81. I may need to see if he is out next weekend if I decide more newsies of that era are worth getting at $1 each.

20190127_190642_HDR.jpg

Edited by the blob

5 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Not exactly in the wild, but found these buried in a dealer’s box in Australia (that’s right, a FF52 in a box). I won’t advertise prices, but after the exchange rate and negotiations...I’m very pleased. The dealer was good people, super cool.

D86AC0CF-8E94-41A9-8017-6900EFEA9AC5.thumb.jpeg.58c92116389bc8b4045afc0756eac97c.jpeg

250A4A4B-F43C-42FC-AEEB-788301316AFF.thumb.jpeg.8e5a6dff5de620a490e275a0a7643ac0.jpeg

Not too shabby! Congrats on the find :)

18 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Not exactly in the wild, but found these buried in a dealer’s box in Australia (that’s right, a FF52 in a box). I won’t advertise prices, but after the exchange rate and negotiations...I’m very pleased. The dealer was good people, super cool.

D86AC0CF-8E94-41A9-8017-6900EFEA9AC5.thumb.jpeg.58c92116389bc8b4045afc0756eac97c.jpeg

250A4A4B-F43C-42FC-AEEB-788301316AFF.thumb.jpeg.8e5a6dff5de620a490e275a0a7643ac0.jpeg

awesome  books!

Went to a local Sunday flea market

Picked up a Lionel Train Bridge which matches my dad's for $15

Picked up a Vamp with Vamp Mark II doors missing gas cans, steering wheel and gun for $2.  However vehicle is in great condition with no cracks or frame damage. 

One local flea market guy 'Steve' had some decent comics but he wanted top dollar for beater books. In inquired about a early Batman book and a Superman 4.  I declined when hearing his prices and that the Superman book had restoration.  Didn't like his remark as to telling me that if I didn't like his prices then I can't afford his price range or something like that.  Very taken aback by those comments.  What he doesn't realize is that now I will never shop with him.

IMG_8839.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Didn't like his remark as to telling me that if I didn't like his prices then I can't afford his price range or something like that.  Very taken aback by those comments.

That's the worst.  I get that a lot too, so we must both Iook poor when we go rummaging!  lol  The frustrating part is he's not worth the schooling you could give him.  They never are.

I went to a house sale that was really a flea market guy setting up in his living room. Stuff was well picked through, but I still managed to make a pile of 40 comics for $30. The stack was bigger at first but I culled it a bit before paying. By the time I got home and sorted through everything, I still think I overpaid but oh well! :cry:(shrug):tonofbricks:

hm

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Picked up a Vamp with Vamp Mark II doors missing gas cans, steering wheel and gun for $2.  However vehicle is in great condition with no cracks or frame damage. 

One local flea market guy 'Steve' had some decent comics but he wanted top dollar for beater books. In inquired about a early Batman book and a Superman 4.  I declined when hearing his prices and that the Superman book had restoration.  Didn't like his remark as to telling me that if I didn't like his prices then I can't afford his price range or something like that.  Very taken aback by those comments.  What he doesn't realize is that now I will never shop with him.

IMG_8839.jpeg

That was the Seaford indoor flea? The Bellmore train station flea market's winter home. I often say about that flea that if you offered to buy a guy out, he'd decline on the grounds of - "what am I going to do next weekend??"

Like a toddler who needs to pee, those guys hold on to their junk!

:insane:

4 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

That was the Seaford indoor flea? The Bellmore train station flea market's winter home. I often say about that flea that if you offered to buy a guy out, he'd decline on the grounds of - "what am I going to do next weekend??"

Like a toddler who needs to pee, those guys hold on to their junk!

:insane:

Yup... I liked the Seaford room better than the outdoor flea market as there was less 'junk'.  I don't get why people want rusty screwdrivers which is what you find at the Bellmore train station.  Seaford room had some very nice stuff.  It was interesting to look at some older Matchbox cars and the Lionel guys set up nicer displays indoors than they do outdoors.   As you can imagine, I don't see a high turnover of things except for the Lionel stuff as I always see that guy with new stuff.   I basically stop by this flea market both indoor and outdoor maybe once a month or two.   

On 1/27/2019 at 9:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

IMG_8839.jpeg

I am sorry he hurt your feelings. Next time go Tony soprano on him and kneecap him. Sure, it's Long Island, not Staten Island or Jersey, but these kinds of affronts cannot be ignored!

44 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am sorry he hurt your feelings. Next time go Tony soprano on him and kneecap him. Sure, it's Long Island, not Staten Island or Jersey, but these kinds of affronts cannot be ignored!

Nah, what I did was that there was someone else that was looking at his table and 'admired' the two DC GA books that he had.  When that customer looked at me, I told the other customer that he could do better on Comic Link, Metropolis Comics that offer better prices for better grades.  

.... that guy.  

52 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Nah, what I did was that there was someone else that was looking at his table and 'admired' the two DC GA books that he had.  When that customer looked at me, I told the other customer that he could do better on Comic Link, Metropolis Comics that offer better prices for better grades.  

.... that guy.  

well, that's a verbal kneecapping

On 1/28/2019 at 11:48 AM, Callaway29 said:

Where was this dealer who had a TOD #10, FF #52 and ASM #41 in a box??  

Just the City will do.

That literally is like Rocking Horse Poo as these books were never sold here,so had to be imported at a later date.(maybe TOD #10 was sold at the news-stand)

A collector I could see, but a dealer?  There really aren't many stores in Australia, and they deal 98% in moderns.In Melbourne (5,500,000 people - there are exactly 5)

There are 1 or two comic cons per year, which are geared mostly for autographs and cosplay, although Harley Yee used to make the trip from USA.

There actually aren't many garage sales either.

Some Auction houses are now selling comics via house clearances, although I wouldn't class them as dealers.

You really fell onto some unbelievably good fortune. Like $6-7,000 AUD worth of good fortune.

Or Australia's worst dealer!

Go back, for the love of god and buy EVERYTHING!

5 hours ago, jools&jim said:

A few road-trip finds from this past weekend.

Nothing spectacular, but for my money at least you just can't beat digging cool and unexpected old books out of beat-up old long white boxes, paying for them on the spot, and taking 'em home that day.

DC-silver.thumb.JPG.ad1f9975a6945f871782af831ee3d75b.JPG

Great stuff across all the examples you shared!  (thumbsu  But you really can't go wrong with the bottom row of the above pic. That Adam Strange MIS is a bit of classic silver goodness; so, too, the Jimmy Olsen. Throw in one of the very memorable imaginary Superman tales from that era and you're firing on all cylinders! :cloud9: