• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,805 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, comicdonna said:

There's an estate auction not too far from me, tomorrow.  Kind of in the boondocks, on a dirt road, that runs along the Canadian border.  It says a wide selection of 10 cent comics.  I wonder if I should check it out?  hm

Yes! & if you don't want a lot of those 10c books I will gladly pay you 5c each for them! 2c (I know 2c means opinion but it felt funny anyway)

Edited by comics4all

I should add the shop owners first pick was the horror box because the auctioneer asked if he wanted second pick with hid $910 bid on first pick.Some of the romance lots were in nicer shape than the horror.  I probably should have been more aggressive on second pick bid but, I had already spent what I was comfortable with.

Edited by comicdonna

20 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I should add the shop owners first pick was the horror box because the auctioneer asked if he wanted second pick with hid $910 bid on first pick.Some of the romance lots were in nicer shape than the horror.  I probably should have been more aggressive on second pick bid but, I had already spent what I was comfortable with.

I'm glad that your happy though :)

I love how the LCS gave his 2c :foryou:

7 hours ago, comicdonna said:

So, I was at the estate auction today.  So was a lot of other people that were interested in comics.  There was also at least 1 comic shop owner there with a younger gentleman, who kept running back and forth from the books to his (dads?) car, during preview.   We were about 1/4 mile from the Canadian border, in the middle of nowhere.  I couldn't get any service to look things up but, I guess they were able to.  

After watching a bunch of rusty stuff sell for $1 to $10, they brought out all the boxes of comics to auction off.  They were in maybe a dozen boxes  probably 400 books, most all in the early to mid 50's.   There was a decent size box of remainder copies, too.   It was real heavy on romance books.  There was a box of horror.  The collection had a wide variety of titles.  Not that many books from the same title.  Not one superhero comic.

So, before they started with the comics, a whole different set of rules were laid out.  I didn't understand at first, and let him know.  They seemed unfair and let him know that some of the boxes were worth more than others.  They decided on bid for choice of a box or multiple boxes.  That seemed more fair.  The shop owner and I bid against each other for first choice.  I opened at $100 and we went back and forth at $10 increments up to $920  Luckily, I was in an isle seat in the second row so, I rested my hand on my thigh and only had to raise one finger each time.   I won.  The shop owner, who was about 30 feet away said they wern't worth that.  Well, he was willing to pay $910   I went up to pick my box.  I went through every book in the horror box because, I have seen people switch book in the past.  I decided to take the horror box.  I declined on 2nd pick (that would be foolish)  Then, they started another auction for next pick.  I was in up to $550 and another couple won.  The shop owner didn't bid this time.  There was two sweet boxes of romance left.  She got one.  I also bid on the 3rd pick up to $350  which the guy in front of me one.  There was still 3 or 4 boxes of nice books left but, it was about 40 degrees with a strong wind.  my wife grabbed a blanket out of the car.

So, with buyers premium, I spent $1012  There is at least 1 incomplete book, and another missing a back cover.  Not all but, a lot of these are low grade.

estate part 1 004.JPG

estate part 1 006.JPG

estate part 1 008.JPG

estate part 1 010.JPG

estate part 1 012.JPG

estate part 2 002.JPG

estate part 2 004.JPG

estate part 2 006.JPG

estate part 2 008.JPG

estate part 2 010.JPG

Cool! Hey, hopefully you will make some $!

Think of it this way: if you didn't go you would have never known if you missed any keys! 

Edited by comics4all

6 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

Was out of town visiting the in laws and lucked out that a little garage sale was going on. I seem to always miss good garage sales. Stuff was halfway organized. The owner stopped collecting about 5 years ago. He had already had one or two sales recently I gathered but I was still able to find some good books that were overlooked. I spent about 30 mins going through probably 20 long boxes. Could have spent more time. Everything was somewhere between .50 and $3 ea. Paid $50 for everything. 

20190511_202006.jpg

20190511_201945.jpg

I know of the FF monger and the tomb raider Hughes, and the wolverine 155...maybe the McFarlane hulk...but wouldn't have known the others...

The knowledge of these boards always astounds...

Congrats! Glad you were given the good timing!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

21 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know of the FF monger and the tomb raider Hughes, and the wolverine 155...maybe the McFarlane hulk...but wouldn't have known the others...

The knowledge of these boards always astounds...

Congrats! Glad you were given the good timing!

Yeah, not everything is a key but for $.50/ $1 I grabbed it. The old FFs are pretty beat but for $3 ea I couldn't pass it up. The Hughes were $1 ea. The noble causes is an Invincible preview I've seen online but never in person. Both variants. 

Edited by Rhymenoceros

15 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Who did the cover to the Blue Bolt?

9 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

Was out of town visiting the in laws and lucked out that a little garage sale was going on. I seem to always miss good garage sales. Stuff was halfway organized. The owner stopped collecting about 5 years ago. He had already had one or two sales recently I gathered but I was still able to find some good books that were overlooked. I spent about 30 mins going through probably 20 long boxes. Could have spent more time. Everything was somewhere between .50 and $3 ea. Paid $50 for everything. 

20190511_202006.jpg

20190511_201945.jpg

Every garage sale I've been to never have comics... did they advertise or were you lucky?

8 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Every garage sale I've been to never have comics... did they advertise or were you lucky?

A small ad on craigslist. The funny thing is comics didn't seem to be the "main thing" listed in the ad with only one box shown. I figured I might find a book or two. When I got there, it was mostly comics to my surprise. Never happens. 

20 hours ago, comicdonna said:

So, I was at the estate auction today.  So was a lot of other people that were interested in comics.  There was also at least 1 comic shop owner there with a younger gentleman, who kept running back and forth from the books to his (dads?) car, during preview.   We were about 1/4 mile from the Canadian border, in the middle of nowhere.  I couldn't get any service to look things up but, I guess they were able to.  

After watching a bunch of rusty stuff sell for $1 to $10, they brought out all the boxes of comics to auction off.  They were in maybe a dozen boxes  probably 400 books, most all in the early to mid 50's.   There was a decent size box of remainder copies, too.   It was real heavy on romance books.  There was a box of horror.  The collection had a wide variety of titles.  Not that many books from the same title.  Not one superhero comic.

So, before they started with the comics, a whole different set of rules were laid out.  I didn't understand at first, and let him know.  They seemed unfair and let him know that some of the boxes were worth more than others.  They decided on bid for choice of a box or multiple boxes.  That seemed more fair.  The shop owner and I bid against each other for first choice.  I opened at $100 and we went back and forth at $10 increments up to $920  Luckily, I was in an isle seat in the second row so, I rested my hand on my thigh and only had to raise one finger each time.   I won.  The shop owner, who was about 30 feet away said they wern't worth that.  Well, he was willing to pay $910   I went up to pick my box.  I went through every book in the horror box because, I have seen people switch book in the past.  I decided to take the horror box.  I declined on 2nd pick (that would be foolish)  Then, they started another auction for next pick.  I was in up to $550 and another couple won.  The shop owner didn't bid this time.  There was two sweet boxes of romance left.  She got one.  I also bid on the 3rd pick up to $350  which the guy in front of me one.  There was still 3 or 4 boxes of nice books left but, it was about 40 degrees with a strong wind.  my wife grabbed a blanket out of the car.

So, with buyers premium, I spent $1012  There is at least 1 incomplete book, and another missing a back cover.  Not all but, a lot of these are low grade.

estate part 1 004.JPG

estate part 1 006.JPG

estate part 1 008.JPG

estate part 1 010.JPG

estate part 1 012.JPG

estate part 2 002.JPG

estate part 2 004.JPG

estate part 2 006.JPG

estate part 2 008.JPG

estate part 2 010.JPG

Nice haul. They didn’t go cheap but there are several nice issues there. The Ghostly Weird and Startling Terror Cole covers are on fire. The Phantom Witch Doctor is in pretty high demand. I really like the Danger is our Business with Frazetta & Williamson art. Many other good titles as well. You should do alright. I didn’t realize it was an auction. Thought it was a straight sale. Auctions with comics like this seem to be bringing very strong prices. Bidders get crazy. I have consigned some average to below average “10 centers” to a couple of local auctions here with great results. A lot of novices get “auction fever”. Sounds like it was fun. Thanks for posting the results!

First flea market visit of the year.  There's a regular there who has boxes of books, records, pinback buttons, militaria all kinds of things.  Grading and pricing on the comics is a mystery, but found these two that I didn't have to haggle over .  Passed on some silver age Atoms at $80-140 for 5.0 shape, low grade JLAs in the late teens at $100 each, low grade Strange Tales at $60-80 each, that kind of thing.  You can deal him down to the right price sometimes, but didn't want to spend the time on stuff I didn't need as much.

688718312_20190512_1645131.thumb.jpg.225a62d2b5116525091f74c068d06333.jpg

On 5/11/2019 at 3:28 PM, comicdonna said:

Excelllent news and congratulations!

So, how many comics all together were in these lots you won?   What was your most favorite out of what you won?

8 minutes ago, Phantalien said:

Excelllent news and congratulations!

So, how many comics all together were in these lots you won?   What was your most favorite out of what you won?

1 lot that contained 31 books.  My favorites in no particular order are:

The phantom witch doctor

Horrific

The hand of fate

Blue bolt weird tales

Startling terror

I should add that the page quality on these books is outstanding.  Many white pagers.  

Edited by comicdonna

4 hours ago, comicdonna said:

1 lot that contained 31 books.  My favorites in no particular order are:

The phantom witch doctor

Horrific

The hand of fate

Blue bolt weird tales

Startling terror

I should add that the page quality on these books is outstanding.  Many white pagers.  

Those are the kind of books that new shiny mylars were made for. They'll look beautiful in them. So you paid basically $33 each for those books - that's a nice buy.