• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Speaking of movie related collectibles. One thing I love is Japanese movie tickets. My holy grail is the one from the original Halloween. But I just love the artwork and the hunt keeps me going. I also have unused tickets from Alien and the Thing.

Halloween_zpssumeyamz.jpg

IMG_20171031_194908129_HDR_zpshtidjfzo.jpg

IMG_20171115_050140325_HDR_zpse2hjgddh.jpg

Very cool. Didn't even know these were a thing. 

On 8/10/2019 at 8:15 PM, Rip said:

I'm usually kind of knowledgable on Star Wars stuff but there are a few things here even I'm not sure of.

I also got the Burger King glasses display from 1980 in the back complete.

I see some guy on e-bay wants 22K for the Star Wars novel display but I'm sure its not a true value. Nor do I know a value on the two Empire Strikes back displays. 

@Rip you have made very easily one of the best scores I've seen in this thread, without a doubt. Display collecting has really carved itself quite a niche in Star Wars toy collecting, to the point where these have been getting graded and achieved more significant value gains in the past 5 years. The graded market, mixed with the proliferation of reproduction display headers, has also created a much wider disparity in value. I have every confidence yours are real. I've sent you a PM on my thoughts on helping you with a direction of value, but for the most part, these are seen regularly enough where condition becomes a more important factor in assigning a value. On truly rare display pieces, condition seems to factor in a lot less.

Congratulations man, you must be so thrilled! I've been collecting for the last 40 years, I don't know anyone who has pulled in a dislay haul like this without them knowing they were buying from a dedicated display collector.

21 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

The real guy to ask on the boards is @comicwiz - He is your Star Wars guy... 

However, there are a few pieces there that, judging by the cut out parts and the foldable lines that would slot into display units.  They might be retail endcap display headers.  For example, if you had a retail cardboard bin that you would put the figures in on a standee, that a couple of those cardboard cutout would slot into the top.  The same could be true if it was on the endcap with a slat wall.  

Thanks @Buzzetta! You are correct, those three (12, 21 and series 1 diecast) are bin headers, and the most significant valued ones are the early bird (EB) ones. Last year a complete bin with header, insert, and original shipping box sold for mid 5 figures, and more recently, another sold for just as much.

The headers alone do well also, and have become a lot more popular for grading even when they are incomplete (i.e. no bin or MOC tray) . Prior to the popularity of having them graded (brought on partly from the proliferation of fakes), those who didn't want to be hassled into trying to complete one for displaying MOC's would have the headers framed. They do look great framed as well.

It's an area of collecting I've always enjoyed observing from the sidelines, but haven't dabbled into myself. Price surges in recent years haven't really made it easier to delve into, but finds like @Rip's renew excitement that there's still a lot of great stuff out there!

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

Thanks @Buzzetta! You are correct, those three (12, 21 and series 1 diecast) are bin headers, and the most significant valued ones are the early bird (EB) ones. Last year a complete bin with header, insert, and original shipping box sold for mid 5 figures, and more recently, another sold for just as much.

The headers alone do well also, and have become a lot more popular for grading even when they are incomplete (i.e. no bin or MOC tray) . Prior to the popularity of having them graded (brought on partly from the proliferation of fakes), those who didn't want to be hassled into trying to complete one for displaying MOC's would have the headers framed. They do look great framed as well.

It's an area of collecting I've always enjoyed observing from the sidelines, but haven't dabbled into myself. Price surges in recent years haven't really made it easier to delve into, but finds like @Rip's renew excitement that there's still a lot of great stuff out there!

Out of curiosity, do you know the protocol that Kenner had for store displays back then?  I worked for Disney on the retail and the art and collectables side of things during the 90's when I was in college.  Disney protocol was for nothing to be destroyed but it actually had to be sent back and accounted for.   Things conveniently were 'lost' but loss had to be accounted for with corporate.  Yes, I am talking about cardboard signage and not even the decorate large figures that were on the lip above the retail areas.  Disney was very protective of all of its product even down to the advertising so this is an extreme example. 

Lego on the other hand (supposedly as I never worked for them) wants their display pieces back but are not very assertive about it.  This has led to many glued store displays of retail models making their way to the public, especially when Toys R Us closed.  

So, do you have any familiarity with the Kenner and later, Hasbro, policy regarding signage?  I remember Hasbro having cardboard bins with headers as late as 2008 when the BMF Falcon was first released.  On a more interesting note, when Toys R Us did close, I inquired about some of the signage as I thought a piece or two would look cool in the basement.  I was told that the TRU stuff would be for sale but the Star Wars and Transformers stuff had to be sent back.  That was not true in other stores though... or they did not care? 

On 8/10/2019 at 8:36 PM, Rip said:

I didn't get to see everything but hundreds of Laserdiscs. Here some of what I came home with. He had some autograph stuff as well by John Carpenter which I didn't get to see yet. 

Discs.1.jpg

Discs1.jpg

SCOOOOOORE! Man, that's sweet. I'm a laser collector myself. I got into laser back in the day, as it was pretty much the only way to see movies at home in their original format (aside from a few random "letterboxed" vhs tapes). I remember the day I walked into Suncoast video to look at lasers, and the kid at the counter told me that DVD was coming, that it would kill laser in a year or two, and VHS within 5. I laughed. LAUGHED! Oh well, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Anyway, I sold off most of my lasers as I went into DVD (and then DVD's as I went into Blu Ray) but I held onto a few. I discovered a laser group on FB a year or two ago and it sparked my interest again. You used to be able to find these things around town for $2 or less. Now they've dried up, as collectors are scooping them up.

As for why someone would collect them, for me it's primarily the nostalgia and the beautiful large artwork, but I do enjoy watching them as well. As has been pointed out, if you have a receiver that can do AC3, it's hard to beat the uncompressed sound of the laserdisc. There are also many instances where movies have been monkeyed with endlessly over several releases, so if you want to see the original color timing, LD is the way to roll.

SWEET score, @Rip

Edited by F For Fake

On 8/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, Rip said:

I went to pick up some Laserdiscs and some comic book stuff. Ended up only making it as far as the Garage. Got a lot of cool horror movies. However I came across something really interesting....and this was just the beginning .....

Alien.jpg

Also, uh, if you don't NEED that Kenner Alien, or anything, I'd be happy to take it off your hands! ;)

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Also, uh, if you don't NEED that Kenner Alien, or anything, I'd be happy to take it off your hands! ;)

The Freddy is so great too!

You mentioned the art and sound with laserdisks-I don't have a player,but I hunted down a Return of the Living Dead just for that-and it fits perfect beside my soundtrack lp.

3 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

You mentioned the art and sound with laserdisks-I don't have a player,but I hunted down a Return of the Living Dead just for that-and it fits perfect beside my soundtrack lp.

For sure, the artwork is a huge part of the appeal. I got my first laserdisc player specifically so I could see the deleted scenes from "Alien" and the "Director's Cut" of "Aliens", as there was no other way to see them. Those boxed sets were sooooo sweet. The Nightmare Before Christmas set came in a huge velvet lined slipcased box with a hardcover book. I also have some beautiful Disney sets like the Tron Archive, etc. Just gorgeous presentation.

Here are a couple of faves that I put in cheap album frames, look pretty snazzy!

IMG_0761.JPG

8 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

@porcupine48 the RotLD soundtrack made an impression on me as a kid. I vividly remember flipping through records at the Camelot Music at the mall, and I ran across the RotLD soundtrack. The image on the front was so creepy and cool, The back had stills from the flick and the half zombie girl on the slab totally freaked me out. I was a big chicken when I was a kid!

@F For Fake my chum did the same with his Return 1&2 and Evil Dead 2-looks great!I don't follow close,but he was SUPER jazzed to get the Evil Dead 2,I guess it's a special super duper copy.His eyes glaze over when I comic nerdout,so I don't feel so bad when I drift off in his excitement lol

Edit-RotLD part 2 soundtrack is decent too,if you don't have it.More metal though

Edited by porcupine48

9 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

@F For Fake my chum did the same with his Return 1&2 and Evil Dead 2-looks great!I don't follow close,but he was SUPER jazzed to get the Evil Dead 2,I guess it's a special super duper copy.His eyes glaze over when I comic nerdout,so I don't feel so bad when I drift off in his excitement lol

Edit-RotLD part 2 soundtrack is decent too,if you don't have it.More metal though

Yeah, my buddy has the Evil Dead 2 LD which is actually BLOOD RED. It is pretty snazzy. He also has the gold Drunken Master II disc. I've bought a bunch of LD's from him but he won't shake those two loose. Oh well.

I've got RotLD2 on Blu Ray but don't have the soundtrack on its own. The first movie made a huge impression and the soundtrack is timeless, the second film didn't hit me as hard but I need to revisit it and the soundtrack soon! 

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, my buddy has the Evil Dead 2 LD which is actually BLOOD RED. It is pretty snazzy. He also has the gold Drunken Master II disc. I've bought a bunch of LD's from him but he won't shake those two loose. Oh well.

I've got RotLD2 on Blu Ray but don't have the soundtrack on its own. The first movie made a huge impression and the soundtrack is timeless, the second film didn't hit me as hard but I need to revisit it and the soundtrack soon! 

Yes the Evil Dead 2 disc is actually blood red, I got an extra now from that stash. I do have Drunken Master II but not sure if its gold. I'll have to check. There are a few versions out there. I've got the one with the extended ending which shows him all messed up after the fight because he drank too much raw alcohol.

Also somewhat appropriate, I watched "Class of 1984" last night for the first time in, geez, 20 years or more, probably, and it has that weird intersection of punk and metal, where the kids are all dressed up by punkers, who are slamdancing at a new wave band show (Teenage Head?), and the soundtrack's theme song is by legendary punk rock artist...Alice Cooper???

5 minutes ago, Rip said:

Yes the Evil Dead 2 disc is actually blood red, I got an extra now from that stash. I do have Drunken Master II but not sure if its gold. I'll have to check. There are a few versions out there. I've got the one with the extended ending which shows him all messed up after the fight because he drank too much raw alcohol.

Oh man, that's so great. Kids today don't understand the challenge! Back in the day if you wanted to see Drunken Master II, you had to import a laserdisc or find someone willing to dub it onto a VHS tape for you. Strange days!

I think there's a green Toxic Avenger disc as well. I may eventually weasel them out of his hands. His wife wants him to sell them to me! ha

8 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Also somewhat appropriate, I watched "Class of 1984" last night for the first time in, geez, 20 years or more, probably, and it has that weird intersection of punk and metal, where the kids are all dressed up by punkers, who are slamdancing at a new wave band show (Teenage Head?), and the soundtrack's theme song is by legendary punk rock artist...Alice Cooper???

Great movie,still have my 'puffy' vhs.

It's funny to me how punk rockers were used so often as baddies in the eighties.Lee Ving from Fear had a small career due to that I think.Quincy punx is the most celebrated I guess,with a band with that moniker,but there's lots if you look.After school specials,horror films ChIPs lollol This entire episode is worth watching.

I bet laser disks and vhs ect would do pretty good in its own thread? @Rip seems to have a tonne of cool horror collectables-those tickets-out of site!

Edited by porcupine48