• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

It does help..I call that "Old White Money" 

I have found that in LA the best area for picking garage sales in South Central or Mid City. Most folks are a little intimidated to go there and you have very little competition. Lots of old houses from the 1920’s-1960’s. Got a Latin friend who lives there and picks up a lot of great stuff for me there. So that would probably “Old Brown and Black Money”

35 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have found that in LA the best area for picking garage sales in South Central or Mid City. Most folks are a little intimidated to go there and you have very little competition. Lots of old houses from the 1920’s-1960’s. Got a Latin friend who lives there and picks up a lot of great stuff for me there. So that would probably “Old Brown and Black Money”

I appreciate the tip. I will have to reconsider my hunting grounds.. hm

See you on Super Sunday. I'll be there bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Edited by Silver_Couch_Surfer

2 hours ago, iggy said:
On 9/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, stock_rotation said:

1st appearance of Moore's Law

*edited explanation for the lingua franca lol

Thanks!

Sorry I forgot to revisit this post.

Here's the story of how Intel paid $10k for a cruddy copy of it in 2005:

https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/moores-law-electronics-magazine/#gs.636o2u

Per the article:

"So the company went looking for an original copy of that April 19, 1965 issue of Electronics magazine. But not just any copy, said High. “We were looking for the best one we could find, either mint or excellent condition,” he said..."

"The earliest respondents had magazines that were in less than ideal condition, but just four days after word had spread came photographic evidence of a near-mint copy."

"Now 50 years off the printing press, the magazine is too delicate to flip through or even lay flat, according to Elizabeth Jones, manager of the Intel Museum and Intel archives. “The binding is very fragile,” she said. “It’s practically shredding, so we have to handle it very carefully.”

"This made it all the more remarkable that one in excellent condition surfaced 40 years after it was first published. High, a technology communications professional who lived a life of “sound bytes,” said it was amazing that Clark had a copy in such fine condition."

That doesn't sound like a near-mint copy to me.

I don't think this is going to end well and I've got to tell the story to warn others lol  I got a phone call yesterday from my 75 year old Uncle about some comic books he bought in a gun auction.  He is a huge hunting guy who must frequent online gun auctions all over the US and he saw a batch of 30 comic books for $50 and had to have them.  He is having the books sent to me direct so I can take a look and sell them for him.  I asked him what type of books they were and he said "older books like Spawn"doh!  You know the market is on a cliff when my uncle is buying comic book boxes from a gun auction!  My gut tells me he got scammed out of his $50 plus shipping but I'll let you guys know if he gets lucky.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I don't think this is going to end well and I've got to tell the story to warn others lol  I got a phone call yesterday from my 75 year old Uncle about some comic books he bought in a gun auction.  He is a huge hunting guy who must frequent online gun auctions all over the US and he saw a batch of 30 comic books for $50 and had to have them.  He is having the books sent to me direct so I can take a look and sell them for him.  I asked him what type of books they were and he said "older books like Spawn"doh!  You know the market is on a cliff when my uncle is buying comic book boxes from a gun auction!  My gut tells me he got scammed out of his $50 plus shipping but I'll let you guys know if he gets lucky.

Good luck! "Older books like Spawn" would definitely give me that feeling in the pit of my stomach. Maybe there's something awesome in there, though!

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

It does help..I call that "Old White Money" 

by far my 2 best craigslist purchases (and easily my scariest non-purchase) have been in the type of situation described above. so there's that.   

Good luck!  Also I've shared this before, but another great trick (if possible), is getting the cash out ahead of time and making your offer loud enough for the wife/gf to hear or directly in front of her.  A lot of times they just want it gone and are happy to get anything, as they think its junk taking up precious space (although to be fair it often is).  Also bringing smaller bills so it looks like a fatter stack of cash (obviously make sure the bigger bills are more visible).

Nothing special, but after the dry spell recently I'm happy with anything!

68 Mad Magazines (with a few 'collectors' issues) and 33 Heavy Metal from the 1980's.

Total cost $60 AUD ( $40 USD)

a.thumb.jpg.dc12584df04eb0c2be30be5564edc334.jpg

8 hours ago, manetteska said:

Per the article:

"So the company went looking for an original copy of that April 19, 1965 issue of Electronics magazine. But not just any copy, said High. “We were looking for the best one we could find, either mint or excellent condition,” he said..."

"The earliest respondents had magazines that were in less than ideal condition, but just four days after word had spread came photographic evidence of a near-mint copy."

"Now 50 years off the printing press, the magazine is too delicate to flip through or even lay flat, according to Elizabeth Jones, manager of the Intel Museum and Intel archives. “The binding is very fragile,” she said. “It’s practically shredding, so we have to handle it very carefully.”

"This made it all the more remarkable that one in excellent condition surfaced 40 years after it was first published. High, a technology communications professional who lived a life of “sound bytes,” said it was amazing that Clark had a copy in such fine condition."

That doesn't sound like a near-mint copy to me.

Yeah they failed trying to talk condition.

I totally lucked out at the auction. There was the 60 boxes of mags to look through, they sold near the beginning of the auction so little time to research them. I typed in "electronics" on my eBay app, sort by sold, sort by highest price and this popped up:

IMG_3815.PNG

That listing was only visible on eBay for another half hour to an hour before it expired and disappeared. I luckily screen captured it. I noticed the seller had a negative feedback and it was for that listing. The buyer said something like "Seller accepted my offer, then cancelled tying up my money for weeks". Maybe he contacted Intel and sold to them. His copy and my copy were very similar in condition. Would like to know what he got since I'm now fielding offers with a high BIN.

Edited by iggy

Oh, I forgot to mention- the box with that magazine in it wasn't the first to sell. It was choice per box, I won first bid per box at $10, grabbed three others, continued researching, bought others at slightly lower prices, I'm thinking I paid $7 or less by the time I saw the magazine to look for and found it in a box. I paid $201 total for 60 jam packed boxes, most at $2 or $1 per and I think most of it has good potential singly or in groups.

1 minute ago, iggy said:

Oh, I forgot to mention- the box with that magazine in it wasn't the first to sell. It was choice per box, I won first bid per box at $10, grabbed three others, continued researching, bought others at slightly lower prices, I'm thinking I paid $7 or less by the time I saw the magazine to look for and found it in a box. I paid $201 total for 60 jam packed boxes, most at $2 or $1 per and I think most of it has good potential singly or in groups.

Big score!

Was it you that also found the big collection of some sort of monster toy/item a few years back?

3 minutes ago, iggy said:

1960s boxes of Rubber Uglies! Yes that was me and it was the same auction house. Close by my house and happens every week. 

Those were super awesome!I loved seeing the posts about those,could picture them just not remember the name.

So cool.

Yeah they are cool, based off Ugly stickers that had Basil Wolverton characters, little rubber monsters with sculpts mainly by Norm Saunders. Rubber Uglies is the general name but they were packaged under many variations. Mine were "Horror Pets" packed 72 to a box. There's a Facebook group devoted to them that I'm still a member of even though I sold out "Jigglers Rubber Monsters and Figures". The artist Stephen Blickenstaff who did the classic Cramps album cover and his friend are putting out a homage to the Ugly Stickers called Funny Fiends. The kickstarter boxes were finalized a day or 2 ago so they should be showing up retail soon...

IMG_3945.PNG

Edited by iggy

2 minutes ago, iggy said:

Yeah they are cool, based off Ugly stickers that had Basil Wolverton characters, little rubber monsters with sculpts mainly by Norm Saunders. Rubber Uglies is the general name but they were packaged under many variations. Mine were "Horror Pets" packed 72 to a box. There's a Facebook group devoted to them that I'm still a member of even though I sold out "Jigglers Rubber Monsters and Figures". The artist Stephen Blickenstaff who did the classic Cramps album cover and his friend are putting out a homage to the Ugly Stickers called Funny Fiends. The kickstarter boxes were finalized a day or 2 ago so they should be showing up retail soon...

I love the Cramps(I just wore my nearly thirty year old Bad Music for Bad People tee a few days ago!),I love Wolverton and really dig monster stuff of all sorts,Wacky Packs et all.There's a good chance I'll love and get these!On my way to look it up now,thanks!

You won't be disappointed. Blickenstaff is like Wolverton reincarnated. They sent me some sample cards or stickers about a year ago as they were first being developed, offered through that Facebook group I mentioned free with SASE. I stashed them in an Overstreet to rediscover some year... :bigsmile:

Edited by iggy

7 hours ago, iggy said:

"Knowledge is power!"

Congrats on the awesome score!!

12 hours ago, iggy said:

You won't be disappointed. Blickenstaff is like Wolverton reincarnated. They sent me some sample cards or stickers about a year ago as they were first being developed, offered through that Facebook group I mentioned free with SASE. I stashed them in an Overstreet to rediscover some year... :bigsmile:

You wouldn't believe the amount of times I've found paper money stashed in old books when checking out a box of them on a curb or something.Learned that trick from an older mover in my teens-found ninety dollars in front of my wife one time as she was griping at me 'we have enough books'!

Thanks for posting up the sticker,I missed it first time around :cool:

On 9/25/2019 at 10:52 PM, iggy said:

IMG_3945.PNG

Love me some Wolverton Ugly Stickers...:x

uglystickers.jpg