• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

Are they in Finnish? Always wondered how it was economically feasible to do some of these smaller foreign language printings unless, maybe, the collecting/reading community in those places is so voracious they will buy nearly everything put out? Seriously, how big is the Finnish market for this stuff? Spanish, French, German, Italian, sure....

On 11/10/2019 at 8:35 AM, southern cross said:

Picked these books up yesterday at a flea market in Reykjavik

There's a used book store in Reykjavik that sells comics. It's about halfway down Laugavegur in an alley. I think it's about opposite the Lebowski Bar, but I could be remembering that wrong. I went in when I was there last year, but didn't have time to look properly.

10 hours ago, the blob said:

Are they in Finnish?

They're Icelandic. A lot of these are really rare. The print runs for some of them are less than 10000. Not sure about the Finnish market except that they love Uncle Scrooge.

Found these in a small market place where they also sold fish. Bought off two retailers. One sold books including a small box of comics. The other sold general items.

I also picked this up

IMG_20191109_144655.thumb.jpg.edb8241e8e8d738caa7e9bbf8d2708e8.jpg

Not as old as the one I had as a kid. Says it was made in Belgium. Can't remember where mine as a kid was made.

Anyway the view master and the two Walt Disney comics and the classics illustrated cost me 800 isk. Not sure what view masters go for. Unfortunately he didn't have any picture wheels to go with it. and the super hero books off another trader cost me 500 isk each so I only bought 4 books off him.

Edited by southern cross

39 minutes ago, rakehell said:

There's a used book store in Reykjavik that sells comics. It's about halfway down Laugavegur in an alley. I think it's about opposite the Lebowski Bar, but I could be remembering that wrong. I went in when I was there last year, but didn't have time to look properly.

They're Icelandic. A lot of these are really rare. The print runs for some of them are less than 10000. Not sure about the Finnish market except that they love Uncle Scrooge.

That's my thoughts on the print runs. With a population around 300k they wouldn't have printed a lot.

Went to the outdoor train station flea market for my once a month visit (they hold it every weekend) and picked up these for $1 each. 

first two appearance of Tim Drake, Joker cover and a Tec 627.

AEE36C42-12DB-434C-8357-AE3027765FB3.jpeg

5 hours ago, rakehell said:

Iceland, of course, dunno why I thought Finland. Even a tinier market. 10000 sounds like a huge print run for such a small market. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, the blob said:

Most of us have other jobs. Most of us are middle aged. Many of us have family and big time demands there. We only have so much energy and so much patience for hassle. With that said I enjoy burying myself in cheap boxes. Wandering around Craigslist or FB and trying to find a collection with easy profit in it and some maybe lunatic on the other end, not as much. But kudos to all the hunter gatherers!

I'm with you.  I just don't have the ability to drop everything to go look at a collection at this point in time, so I'm limited to hunting at my local conventions for the most part.  Most of my purchases come out of the cheap boxes at conventions, since the wall books are typically above market, and I consider the market way too high on most of them anyway.

On the plus side, the almost exclusive focus on keys has left a lot of cool books in the cheap boxes for me.  I've started hoarding a few of them to feed my need to speculate.  It's a cheap way to feed that monster.  I have a couple of books that I will buy every decent copy I find of it until I fill a long box.  The person who goes through my collection after I pass will think I had a mental disorder. :)

4 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

I'm with you.  I just don't have the ability to drop everything to go look at a collection at this point in time, so I'm limited to hunting at my local conventions for the most part.  Most of my purchases come out of the cheap boxes at conventions, since the wall books are typically above market, and I consider the market way too high on most of them anyway.

On the plus side, the almost exclusive focus on keys has left a lot of cool books in the cheap boxes for me.  I've started hoarding a few of them to feed my need to speculate.  It's a cheap way to feed that monster.  I have a couple of books that I will buy every decent copy I find of it until I fill a long box.  The person who goes through my collection after I pass will think I had a mental disorder. :)

My problem is storage! And as I've gone mostly after key's, the slabs are a lot to deal with.... I've bought some raw low low grade SA from time to time just to read, it all accumulates!

I've thought about placing add's to offer a short box, just to get rid of some, but when I look at the books their just not dreky enough to part with at $10-$15 a box... 

32 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My problem is storage! And as I've gone mostly after key's, the slabs are a lot to deal with.... I've bought some raw low low grade SA from time to time just to read, it all accumulates!

I've thought about placing add's to offer a short box, just to get rid of some, but when I look at the books their just not dreky enough to part with at $10-$15 a box... 

I feel your pain about storage....:ohnoez:

20180916_113431.jpg

20180916_111909.jpg

7 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

I feel your pain about storage....:ohnoez:

20180916_113431.jpg

20180916_111909.jpg

Man, I don't feel bad at all anymore... I just gotta ask...how much enjoyment do you get out of a collection like that?

I have really started parting with stuff in a big way. It is really kind of liberating and I don't find that I miss any of it.