• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Okay, since I enjoy seeing everyone else's acquisitions, I figured I'd post a pair of group shots from a local show several weeks back. Most of the books pictured were 5 bucks except for the Donald Duck in the top pic and the Aquaman in the bottom pic. Admittedly, I was probably the only person at the show who was interested in a few of them (Merry Mailman?), as most of the people were looking up a few more expensive Batman's and Spidey's on their phones (I can't even imagine having the patience to do that).  Even the Frontline Combat was a fin because of a taped-up spine - still, an EC for five bucks?? I was just as excited to pick up the oddball magazines as the comics.

49540984.45ce2f20.1024.jpg

49540982.64e15529.1024.jpg

Nice $5. buys Don! That Atomic Spy Cases is my favorite. Even I paid more for my copy many moons ago...:roflmao:

Frozen Gold is a classic.

You would love sitting through my boxes...

21 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A tale of two estate sales...

Had a couple promising ones come up near my house this week.

#1)  THURSDAY  About a mile or two away in a nice area of town. Big old Spanish style house. Interesting stuff but nothing of real interest except this. This is the largest version of this 1930's character toy. Often if found comes broken, chipped or crazed. This one looked real nice. I've wanted one for a long time. The only old toy in a massive house of stuff.

Got there pretty early. 6:30 for a 9:00 sale. Wrote my name on the list as #4. Was feeling pretty good. Doors opened and off I went. I try by the pictures to tell what room it would be in and I figured a bedroom. Hit the first one, nope, no luck on the next one. The third one was the one. As I was quickly walking across the room towards it, I lady picked up, took a quick look and started to put it down. Then decided to get it. Damn. Never even saw the price. Best I don't know.

I hope Eugene the Jeep has a happy new home...

IMG_7450.jpg

I was waiting to see you say you got it, but drat! Does it say IHOP across his neck?

Estate Sale #2  TODAY  Literally 3 blocks away from my house! My wife found it and said "Look dear, comic books!". Got my attention. I checked out the photos but wasn't too knocked out. Pretty new for my liking. See the photos below. At least one real minor key. Labels on the boxes looked interesting. Figured I couldn't go wrong.

I had this one figured out. It was the same model as my house and I had it figured out just what room to go to. The company said they did no sign up sheets or wrist bands. Started at 9:00. Got there at 6:30. Only one old lady waiting in the car. I walked up and sat on the steps. Then it got dicey. A younger kid in his early 20's shows up. Obviously, not looking for a lawn mower or dishes. Then two more, oh, oh... I knew I had competition. We started talking. I told them I was there for the stereo equipment and records. I heard them comparing notes about other sales offering comics and more modern toys and action figures on their phones. Another guy shows up and joins the group. This was going to be a lot harder. I figured I'd just grab the whole box of FF4 and Spiderman and start on the Hulk/Wolverine box next to it.

The folks running it showed up and guess what? There was a sign up sheet tucked away and I hadn't seen it. I quickly signed up at #12. Lady comes out and says right off, "The comics and jewelry are in the back bedroom and only 4 people in the room at once". I knew I was dead right then. They let 10 people in the house first. I whined to the guy in the line and he let me in. I ended up in the hall watching 3 comic guys pick the boxes with a jewelry lady. Finally I got in. NADA. I managed to pick up 3 Cherry Poptarts for a buck each.

The first kid told me he only got the first Antman book (not the big one) and some other stuff I never heard of. Another guy got a long run of X-men from #180 on.

Man, the word is out in my area. The flipper kids and their phones now know about estate sales...

A waste of two days. I know why I don't hit them very often.

Here were their photos on line photos with a note about "Iron Man comics".

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7447.jpg

IMG_7448.jpg

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Similar story here in the Chicago area. You have to be relentless and connected. At some point, my time is worth more to me. I'll just buy it from a dealer at some point...  :sorry:

On 12/13/2019 at 11:38 PM, PopKulture said:

Similar story here in the Chicago area. You have to be relentless and connected. At some point, my time is worth more to me. I'll just buy it from a dealer at some point...  :sorry:

Both true statements. With nice stuff drying up the competition has gotton off the hook. Either being “connected” or getting there at midnight for a 9:00 am sale is about the only way. Stuff isn’t exactly cheap usually either. I just don’t like being shoved and trampled either any more. I’d rather show up early at a flea market and being able to buy right away. Not to mention, the one I went to had 600 “estate sales” all in one place. 

Here is my haul today. No comics but I went home happy and got some great deals. 

0FE26ECF-4FB1-43BF-8F03-D4480D84D9A2.jpeg

1547288E-D7F2-4008-9231-C62D29457C9C.jpeg

can any hunters out there please tell me if there is a rule of thumb concerning bound comics and value? I am talking late GA and SA, trimmed and bound. I do not know about covers/back covers but kinda assume covers yes and no back covers. These are coming up in my area and I might get in the bidding but do not know how de-valued a bound run is. Assume no keys but nice binding and cover. I see some comps but wondered what the popular opinion is if anyone wants to offer any info. :wishluck:

47 minutes ago, Bird said:

can any hunters out there please tell me if there is a rule of thumb concerning bound comics and value? I am talking late GA and SA, trimmed and bound. I do not know about covers/back covers but kinda assume covers yes and no back covers. These are coming up in my area and I might get in the bidding but do not know how de-valued a bound run is. Assume no keys but nice binding and cover. I see some comps but wondered what the popular opinion is if anyone wants to offer any info. :wishluck:

There are some on and off discussions of bound volumes in the Omnibus/HC thread. I don't remember any discussion of value, but there are some links to other sites with more information that may be helpful.

54 minutes ago, Bird said:

I collect them. No rules. Depends what is in them. Are they publisher volumes? Condition other than the binding? Makes them better. A random fan bound edition of used copies would be less unless there are keys or classic covers. Content is very important. Hard to value but I generally value them the same way I value restored books. Collectors love them and at any given day they could do quite well at auction. One thing I would recommend, don’t un-bind them. They are already stitched and usually trimmed. Better to keep them and sell them intact. Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, cabinboy said:

Got a small stack of books today.  Highlights were the Tec below - although I was apparently late to the party, as the dealer said someone had just bought a bunch from him

1BAB6438-F4B9-459B-86A4-6AF133CD7A6D.jpeg.403a5650b0f08591a911b5f4514d6634.jpeg

Then the find of the day was this - was looking through the guys small stack of 70s Archies when he says “I have Archie #1 over here for $40 - you interested?”  He had my attention - not what I was hoping for, but still very happy with the purchase.:cloud9:

515C3CFA-9D44-4DB5-AA7D-5601459AF5D6.jpeg.20cf6931815c91e2955f479d1bea1409.jpeg

Great scores. I probably would have missed that Archie but I was in the booth where the Detectives were. Too late though. I found out later about the guy who beat you out. He got some more Detectives as well as some super nice stamped WDCS file copies. My friend was there and said the guy was a bit clueless but had enough knowledge to be dangerous. My friend got a nice movie poster and some nice pulps. All I got was an early Disneyland game that everyone else overlooked. The guy’s prices were apparently very good and the guy was new there and had apparently done a big house clean out with lots of comics and games from late ‘50s-early ‘60s. Wish I had been there a little sooner...:sorry:

On 12/13/2019 at 7:53 PM, Robot Man said:

Estate Sale #2  TODAY  Literally 3 blocks away from my house! My wife found it and said "Look dear, comic books!". Got my attention. I checked out the photos but wasn't too knocked out. Pretty new for my liking. See the photos below. At least one real minor key. Labels on the boxes looked interesting. Figured I couldn't go wrong.

I had this one figured out. It was the same model as my house and I had it figured out just what room to go to. The company said they did no sign up sheets or wrist bands. Started at 9:00. Got there at 6:30. Only one old lady waiting in the car. I walked up and sat on the steps. Then it got dicey. A younger kid in his early 20's shows up. Obviously, not looking for a lawn mower or dishes. Then two more, oh, oh... I knew I had competition. We started talking. I told them I was there for the stereo equipment and records. I heard them comparing notes about other sales offering comics and more modern toys and action figures on their phones. Another guy shows up and joins the group. This was going to be a lot harder. I figured I'd just grab the whole box of FF4 and Spiderman and start on the Hulk/Wolverine box next to it.

The folks running it showed up and guess what? There was a sign up sheet tucked away and I hadn't seen it. I quickly signed up at #12. Lady comes out and says right off, "The comics and jewelry are in the back bedroom and only 4 people in the room at once". I knew I was dead right then. They let 10 people in the house first. I whined to the guy in the line and he let me in. I ended up in the hall watching 3 comic guys pick the boxes with a jewelry lady. Finally I got in. NADA. I managed to pick up 3 Cherry Poptarts for a buck each.

The first kid told me he only got the first Antman book (not the big one) and some other stuff I never heard of. Another guy got a long run of X-men from #180 on.

Man, the word is out in my area. The flipper kids and their phones now know about estate sales...

Here were their photos on line photos with a note about "Iron Man comics".

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7447.jpg

IMG_7448.jpg

I've gotten a couple of great scores from estate sales, but they are so few and far between it's not worth the effort to check them out anymore. I've also found true estate sales (run out of an auction house) most of the books sell for higher prices than you'd ever expect to see anywhere.  I always say I should be dumping my longs on these folks since they seem to move them!

On 12/13/2019 at 7:27 PM, Robot Man said:

A tale of two estate sales...

Had a couple promising ones come up near my house this week.

#1)  THURSDAY  About a mile or two away in a nice area of town. Big old Spanish style house. Interesting stuff but nothing of real interest except this. This is the largest version of this 1930's character toy. Often if found comes broken, chipped or crazed. This one looked real nice. I've wanted one for a long time. The only old toy in a massive house of stuff.

Got there pretty early. 6:30 for a 9:00 sale. Wrote my name on the list as #4. Was feeling pretty good. Doors opened and off I went. I try by the pictures to tell what room it would be in and I figured a bedroom. Hit the first one, nope, no luck on the next one. The third one was the one. As I was quickly walking across the room towards it, I lady picked up, took a quick look and started to put it down. Then decided to get it. Damn. Never even saw the price. Best I don't know.

I hope Eugene the Jeep has a happy new home...

IMG_7450.jpg

Aw man, that would have been an awesome score, but I still enjoyed the story. You know how it goes.On to the next pick!