• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,806 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, srezvan said:

The Marvel Times are great. I think I bought 1 and 3 from the boards. I still need #2...

What does the Marvel Handbook look like inside? I've never seen that before.

The Marvel Handbook is basically an Index of F.F. w/a Jack Kirby interview....nothing great but still an interesting piece of Marvelmania

On 2/17/2020 at 2:31 PM, Chief1332 said:

The X1 that you mentioned... I believe I saw a facebook post with it for sale.  asking price was $3000..

Assuming he got it for enough to flip for profit that was a good price!  How often do you see that book for 2k?  Even the most beat up....

7 hours ago, spreads said:

No snow in February, yes please!  Here's my view...

IMG-4673.jpg

What a lovely vista.

Where's that as the wifey want's to move there!

What a beautiful sight to wake up to (the view, not my wife...)

32 minutes ago, Beige said:

What a lovely vista.

Where's that as the wifey want's to move there!

What a beautiful sight to wake up to (the view, not my wife...)

I'm not sure you would enjoy the 8 hours I spent shovelling the roof last winter....this cottage is in the Laurentians, not far from Mont Tremblant.  Here's some blue jays looking for breakfast chow!

IMG_4641.jpg

On 2/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, spreads said:

How often do you see that book for 2k? 

it went for a little more than $2K...1900 (maybe 1800, I forget exactly) plus 15% vig and maybe + 7% tax depending on his dealer status. So a nice quick flip if he got the $3K but a good amount to put in to do it.

I didn't plan on bidding on it but was the underbidder (based on same reasoning as yours). It was quiet at $1400 or so and I jumped in. That extra staple is the bugaboo and I didn't look it over closely before the auction (I asked and knew it was complete and that it had the extra but didn't handle it myself) so I dropped out there. Glad I did too, I always overspend there. 

Edited by Bird

16 hours ago, Bird said:

it went for a little more than $2K...1900 (maybe 1800, I forget exactly) plus 15% vig and maybe + 7% tax depending on his dealer status. So a nice quick flip if he got the $3K but a good amount to put in to do it.

I didn't plan on bidding on it but was the underbidder (based on same reasoning as yours). It was quiet at $1400 or so and I jumped in. That extra staple is the bugaboo and I didn't look it over closely before the auction (I asked and knew it was complete and that it had the extra but didn't handle it myself) so I dropped out there. Glad I did too, I always overspend there. 

Good call.  Often estate auctions books go high as you tend to get a lot of non collectors bidding up books because they are not able to grade, nor can they spot material damages/restoration.  Sometimes you can flip books but a lot of the time it would be a net loss factoring in those additional taxes and buyer premiums...

I have done pretty well consigning un-bagged cardboard boxes of lower grade and less desirable titles to some of the smaller local auction houses. Anything, including funny animal and western photo cover Dell’s sell at a premium mostly to non comic people who think all comics are worth a fortune. All it takes is a couple of fools bidding them up. 

It can be funny sometimes. I remember an auction where they were doing choice of a comic lot that contained a low grade Aquaman 1, a nice John Wayne 2, A VG Action 123, and a lot of other mixed books. I got outbid at a pretty high price, and an old lady walked up and picked out a Hayley Mills gold key issue with a big grin on her face. I won the next round at $4 a piece.

3 hours ago, Montezuma said:

It can be funny sometimes. I remember an auction where they were doing choice of a comic lot that contained a low grade Aquaman 1, a nice John Wayne 2, A VG Action 123, and a lot of other mixed books. I got outbid at a pretty high price, and an old lady walked up and picked out a Hayley Mills gold key issue with a big grin on her face. I won the next round at $4 a piece.

lol

In a similar story I was at an auction where they had dozens of copper age books (nothing bagged/boarded, so condition was no better than a VF+) and was rummaging through them to see if there were any filler books I could use or minor keys.  I believe they were a buck or two a piece.  The auctioneer thought he was doing me the favor because I was the only buyer there, and was irritated I was looking through them.. meanwhile an elderly lady (no less than 80) was beside me and asked what these (the huge pile of comics in front of us because to her I guess they would all be equally-valued) were worth?  The auctioneer's sidekick was also beside me on the other side and looked for my response, 'ugh, not of these are really worth much' - which was a political way of saying, don't buy these comics unless you have some kids in the family that might want them to read.  

Edited by spreads

18 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Went to an auction tonight and came away with a bunch misc comics that all together averaged around $3 each.

Here are a few highlights.....several GK/Dell #1's......

20200221_215227.jpg

20200221_215236.jpg

20200221_220334.jpg

20200221_220303.jpg

Looks like they are in pretty good shape, cept for the slight spine role :applause:

On 2/21/2020 at 9:12 PM, Bearcatcoach said:

Went to an auction tonight and came away with a bunch misc comics that all together averaged around $3 each.

Here are a few highlights.....several GK/Dell #1's......

That's a great array of fun books! Congrats! :golfclap:

I just picked up a pretty large mostly coverless haul Sunday. Mostly from the late 60’s to early 70’s. DC, Marvel, Disney, Gold Key...  The best part was the price. $4 for the lot. I think I did okay for some readers grades. I still need to do a little more research. Tell me what y’all think  

Top Box: Marvel

Bottom Left: Misc. Gold Keys, Archie, Charlton, etc.

Bottom Right: DC

AD2ECF25-8929-47E5-A800-FF0E49678032.jpeg

55C83A6D-F2E3-4A7B-82F1-D9F88491C9B5.jpeg

541AEE9D-E72F-49EB-A4C5-B41A17BE5ADE.jpeg

10 hours ago, Beige said:

Reply to one of my ads:

Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novel Collection

1-60, 68 + XXXVI

$200 inc shipping for 62 hardbacks. 

Happy :headbang:

1828639812_image0(2).thumb.jpeg.37c18f9ee4239dc14598ddbc0b432e74.jpeg

2060858572_image1(2).thumb.jpeg.61de104f6f8d2137b012499b3c7573c0.jpeg

wow, those are sharp!

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 9:12 AM, dshre00 said:

I just picked up a pretty large mostly coverless haul Sunday. Mostly from the late 60’s to early 70’s. DC, Marvel, Disney, Gold Key...  The best part was the price. $4 for the lot. I think I did okay for some readers grades. I still need to do a little more research. Tell me what y’all think  

Top Box: Marvel

Bottom Left: Misc. Gold Keys, Archie, Charlton, etc.

Bottom Right: DC

AD2ECF25-8929-47E5-A800-FF0E49678032.jpeg

55C83A6D-F2E3-4A7B-82F1-D9F88491C9B5.jpeg

541AEE9D-E72F-49EB-A4C5-B41A17BE5ADE.jpeg

I think you got well over $4 of reading material.

As for potential profit, I think you can get at least 100% profit.