• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Yesterday-1.jpg?resize=1920,1080

Since 1976, the leaning, yellow shack has sat at 1143 W. Addison St., just a block from Wrigley Field. The shop was known for its expansive collection of relics and oddities, as well as its rejection of modern technologies like credit card readers, computers and cash registers.

Tom-Boyle.jpg?w=620 Tom Boyle, founder of Yesterday, died in December at 88 years old.

Yesterday closing - Chicago/Wrigleyville --full article

case in point - never been there but it has old school comic shop written all over it

Got to love a guy that doesn't use (or trust) credit cards but is willing to take personal cheques.  

On 5/16/2020 at 10:14 PM, 01TheDude said:

Yesterday-1.jpg?resize=1920,1080

Since 1976, the leaning, yellow shack has sat at 1143 W. Addison St., just a block from Wrigley Field. The shop was known for its expansive collection of relics and oddities, as well as its rejection of modern technologies like credit card readers, computers and cash registers.

Tom-Boyle.jpg?w=620 Tom Boyle, founder of Yesterday, died in December at 88 years old.

Yesterday closing - Chicago/Wrigleyville --full article

case in point - never been there but it has old school comic shop written all over it

When in Chicago many years ago I hit that store. Yeah, funky, old school place. I got about a half dozen decent GA books for a pretty good price. Fun store and owner. 

On 5/16/2020 at 12:26 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Is that a first edition Skull Face?????? Wow. Show more!

Thanks for the interest in this collection guys!  Here are the other shelves pictured.  And no, I don't have the Dark Carnival :cry:

All are 1st prints with a couple of the other printings thrown in.  Nearly 20 are signed also.

IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4765.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4775.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

Edited by Comics-n-ERB

Antique collective finds. 

Originally purchased in old style Saran Wrap sheets  stapled shut. The Monkees solid Fines for the most part were $3.00 each. Fun stuff.

D.C.'s were $15.00 each and very nice glossy and off white page quality VG/F range.

I'm sure the books were nicer at some point, but we all know some people don't really handle items in antique shops very nicely.🤔🐒

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

Edited by Cobbledclam
Grammar

On 9/30/2016 at 12:26 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

For the last few years I've had ads up that I buy collections. In that time I've talked to 100s of people and have only bought one collection, which had a full run of JLA v1 and some other goodies. I bought my second collection tonight. This guy contacted me a year ago about his father's books he inherited and has stored for like 20+ years. He could never give me good pics but from what I did see it looked to be low grade (GD/VG) copies of ASM from 8 through 130ish, including 129, Fantastic Four 20-30, and Detective Comics 270-300. He said he had around 700 books total, but I never received photos of them.

His initial asking price? Well since he looked them up on ebay and values them at 26k, he would cut me a deal at 13K. I explained to him that that would never happen, and over the course of a year and many phone calls, we finally came to an agreement tonight on a much more reasonable price. Literally a year of haggling.

We meet up in a parking lot and all of the books are smashed togethe rin ziploc bags or wrapped in saran wrap. Guy was pretty creative making bags, no boards of any sort of course. Everything is there though and I think I can make a pretty good profit so we do the deal.

Just got home and nearly fell out of my chair when I uncovered this.

n4oU0a2.jpg

There's some other great books I uncovered but this one takes the cake. Unfortunately no ASM1, FF1, etc.

Persistence pays off!

Wish I still had this one!

On 10/1/2016 at 4:43 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

This has been way more work than I expected for such a small collection. The collection was probably close to 1000 books. I took out all of the ones I want to sell myself and placed the rest in a box that I am selling tomorrow for a bulk rate. There's around 350 that I kept judging by the number of packs of bags and boards I used. This was a very long process because books were either unbagged, in a ziploc, or (for the majority) placed in these weird produce bags and taped up. The bags and tape were so old that it was hard to open, especially with this many books, so I ended up carefully ripping them open from the middle. Thankfully this went off without a hitch.

Here's the other books from that collection. Placed it in spoiler tags because the photos are large. The post-its are for my notes for condition issues.

ASM 8 through 130, not many missing between 20 and 60 but theres a lot of gaps between 60 and 90, then hardly any from 90 to 130, lots of duplicates

Superman 199 through 234, barely any missing

Detective 270ish through 300ish

Neal Adams Detectives (my favorites, especially the 408)

Submariner 1-66, none missing

Hide contents

rpgC27N.jpg

YZt5uec.jpg

8qz0Zcs.jpg

FRdLMbu.jpg

Nukq8yi.jpg

MgrqBUA.jpg

D6cxMfI.jpg

12dN6Wl.jpg

4Evyti9.jpg

The rest from that collection. 

One of the guys (a little older than me) who used to collect/trade books with me often--- he worked at a south suburbs of Chicago grocery store and used produce bags to protect his comics. The bags were quite a bit larger than the comics so he wrapped them and used tape of the back to keep the bag snug.

17 hours ago, littledoom said:

I would have paid well over 13K

Ya I was thinking the same thing.....he didn't even have a full list, including an X-Men #1, but said 13k would never happen?  700 books isn't a lot, I'm surprised he wouldn't look at all the books before negotiating?  

33 minutes ago, spreads said:

Ya I was thinking the same thing.....he didn't even have a full list, including an X-Men #1, but said 13k would never happen?  700 books isn't a lot, I'm surprised he wouldn't look at all the books before negotiating?  

Sometimes I tend to pay healthy prices just to take stuff out of ppls hands and in mine.. those are the best deals a little more than I like and a little less than what sellers like = fair

the value the owner put on it was $26K, so paying "well over $13K" might not be the best bet. And it seems like the owner may have been unaware of some of the books like the X-Men 1, leading to a lower offer than would be normal perhaps

42 minutes ago, spreads said:

Books were low grade. After selling them all I think I grossed around 15K. 4K of that was the X1 which I didn't know was in the box until I got home. So yeah 13K out of the question. 

21 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I ended up taking a half day and ran over to the thrift shop yesterday since this weekend is getting busy.  These were mostly from the more then $1 portion of his boxes (except the first picture) which meant better books but nothing too crazy.  I did pony up a decent amount for a very nice looking Sub-Mariner & Iron Man and a decent price for a sweet Conan 14.  I was over there for 3 hours throwing around boxes and didn’t even get a chance to check out the mountain of magazine boxes - maybe another trip in a month.  It’s basically the only place I can buy books right now because all my other outlets are closed so it’s good to scratch that itch.

612A0DA3-F429-451A-B50E-1DC8E535B8A9.jpeg

2DC55DA3-D260-47E1-BAA8-33BBBCBD144E.jpeg

60B11A7D-812E-4D19-B471-A126D5370BB5.jpeg

Jesus

2 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Books were low grade. After selling them all I think I grossed around 15K. 4K of that was the X1 which I didn't know was in the box until I got home. So yeah 13K out of the question. 

I see.  I thought it strange that months went by and the seller didn't mention he had an X Men 1 there?  If he was valuing books on ebay, and there were only 700 comics which is a small collection, did he factor that X-men in his 26k ebay (which we know is probably not what they'd sell for anyway) price?  I know with SA books condition has a huge factor on value, that's also why I wouldn't even make an offer without having to see them in person.  Pics and descriptions from a non collector don't provide a ton of information....

33 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I ended up taking a half day and ran over to the thrift shop yesterday since this weekend is getting busy.  These were mostly from the more then $1 portion of his boxes (except the first picture) which meant better books but nothing too crazy.  I did pony up a decent amount for a very nice looking Sub-Mariner & Iron Man and a decent price for a sweet Conan 14.  I was over there for 3 hours throwing around boxes and didn’t even get a chance to check out the mountain of magazine boxes - maybe another trip in a month.  It’s basically the only place I can buy books right now because all my other outlets are closed so it’s good to scratch that itch.

612A0DA3-F429-451A-B50E-1DC8E535B8A9.jpeg

2DC55DA3-D260-47E1-BAA8-33BBBCBD144E.jpeg

60B11A7D-812E-4D19-B471-A126D5370BB5.jpeg

Holy hell, those at those duplicates!!  What a haul...