• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,805 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I’ve spent way longer digging thru boxes at a Con and gotten a lot less.

I'm surprised the seller still let's you in to see the long boxes after you tore down his shelves of long boxes three years ago.

595d32de2b6c4_ComicCrash.thumb.jpg.4c43e

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

4 hours ago, spreads said:

I see.  I thought it strange that months went by and the seller didn't mention he had an X Men 1 there?  If he was valuing books on ebay, and there were only 700 comics which is a small collection, did he factor that X-men in his 26k ebay (which we know is probably not what they'd sell for anyway) price?  I know with SA books condition has a huge factor on value, that's also why I wouldn't even make an offer without having to see them in person.  Pics and descriptions from a non collector don't provide a ton of information....

Most of these people are just clueless and throwing numbers out there. I doubt he looked up more than 1% of them. 

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I ended up taking a half day and ran over to the thrift shop yesterday since this weekend is getting busy.  These were mostly from the more then $1 portion of his boxes (except the first picture) which meant better books but nothing too crazy.  I did pony up a decent amount for a very nice looking Sub-Mariner & Iron Man and a decent price for a sweet Conan 14.  I was over there for 3 hours throwing around boxes and didn’t even get a chance to check out the mountain of magazine boxes - maybe another trip in a month.  It’s basically the only place I can buy books right now because all my other outlets are closed so it’s good to scratch that itch.

612A0DA3-F429-451A-B50E-1DC8E535B8A9.jpeg

2DC55DA3-D260-47E1-BAA8-33BBBCBD144E.jpeg

60B11A7D-812E-4D19-B471-A126D5370BB5.jpeg

At $1 each or close, why cherry pick?

I'd have had a peek, and thrown out an offer for the whole lot.

How many bloody Avengers annual #10 do you have now - didn't you grab a whole box last week or something? :headbang: :nyah::foryou:

I've always found sellers to be much easier to deal with if you buy everything - if you pull out some and start a pile, half the time they start running to ebay and ask silly prices.

Lesson learn't - never cherry pick

Sweet score mate - how much $ in total for those shown?

1 minute ago, Beige said:

How many bloody Avengers annual #10 do you have now - didn't you grab a whole box last week or something? :headbang: :nyah::foryou:

I've always found sellers to be much easier to deal with if you buy everything - if you pull out some and start a pile, half the time they start running to ebay and ask silly prices.

Italian superman comic in the corner?

3 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm surprised the seller still let's you in to see the long boxes after you tore down his shelves of long boxes three years ago.

595d32de2b6c4_ComicCrash.thumb.jpg.4c43e

Nice picture - those boxes almost got me.  Thankfully the guy never blamed me for the cheap shelves collapsing and we have had no issues after he put up shelves that were meant to handle that much weight.  That day was definetely one you don’t forget.

5 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Italian superman comic in the corner?

Nope - I grabbed four Superman 300s since they looked nice and it’s a sweet cover.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Nice picture - those boxes almost got me.  Thankfully the guy never blamed me for the cheap shelves collapsing and we have had no issues after he put up shelves that were meant to handle that much weight.  That day was definetely one you don’t forget.

I had something similar like this happen to me w wooden pull out shelves... I know the feeling... it's very dramatic and scary and frankly traumatizing.. to all of a sudden have mass amounts of uncontrollable weight start to fall on you.. luckily there were people to help push the shelves back up as they well collapsing on me. not great feeling helpless

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Nope - I grabbed four Superman 300s since they looked nice and it’s a sweet cover.

Cool I've seen the cover around before, just never knew which anniversary issue to look out for thanks!

10 hours ago, Beige said:

I’ve been hammering on this guy for 3 years and he just won’t bring down his price for the whole thing.  He has has some really nice books but his 50k price tag is just crazy with almost all the bigger keys having been picked a long time ago - heck even the minor keys are pretty much gone.  I spent $1,500 for all the books shown which is about 350 books.  I keep expecting the whole thing to sell eventually but in the mean time it’s fun to go pick out a few long boxes each year of the new hot books - that way I’m not trying to store 300 long boxes in my basement lol

The new batch of Avengers Annual 10 were some really nice looking copies from the 100 he has squirreled away in another box.  I’ve got about 300 copies right now and I think he had over 400 copies a few years ago.  Kind of crazy to think that many minor keys have been just chilling there all these years.  

He probably has 30-40 copies of all the Micronauts, Kazar and Dazzler books (except the 1s) and hopefully there will be some hot books pop out of those series and I will know where to go.

Edited by 1Cool

13 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I had something similar like this happen to me w wooden pull out shelves... I know the feeling... it's very dramatic and scary and frankly traumatizing.. to all of a sudden have mass amounts of uncontrollable weight start to fall on you.. luckily there were people to help push the shelves back up as they well collapsing on me. not great feeling helpless

Thankfully I was on the very end when it all came down or I don’t think there was enough people nearby to lift it off me.  I heard a snap and the shelves kind of buckled and the end one kind of sagged towards me.  I held it for a split second and it got heavy really fast so I jumped out of the way and watched in horror as the shelves came down domino style.  Thankfully the owner saw it all happen and knew I really hadn’t done anything to have it come down like that.  I can only imagine how scary that must have been.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Thankfully I was on the very end when it all came down or I don’t think there was enough people nearby to lift it off me.  I heard a snap and the shelves kind of buckled and the end one kind of sagged towards me.  I held it for a split second and it got heavy really fast so I jumped out of the way and watched in horror as the shelves came down domino style.  Thankfully the owner saw it all happen and knew I really hadn’t done anything to have it come down like that.  I can only imagine how scary that must have been.

Glad you're ok, I remember you posting about it, scary :eek: eek!

46 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

As you were jumping out of the way you should have yelled, "TIMBERRRRRRR"

11 minutes ago, WeR138 said:
42 minutes ago, spreads said:

As you were jumping out of the way you should have yelled, "TIMBERRRRRRR"

OR 

"My neck, my back. My neck and my back!............."

I want a hundred and fifty thousand!

c7d239099d2d9aa7222b64cd74655ce4.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Comics-n-ERB said:

Two years ago now I went to an estate auction that listed war comics.  Got there and started looking and they were all 1950's war books.  I saw a friend there who messes with comics also.  Between us, we bought quite a few but a out of town buyer got a bunch via phone bids.

At the end of the day I asked if there were anymore comics to the collection as it seemed weird that they were all war books.  The Auctioneer said yes, there were a bunch more.  He said he was planning to take 5 sealed bids for the rest of the collection.  The 5 bids he was going to ask the 5 biggest buyers from the auction to participate. 

I told him I was very interested and he said I would be one of the 5.  I then told my friend to go talk to the Auctioneer and get on the list.  He did.

So I talked to my friend and told him we should team up and split the collection; both of us would bid, but my bid would be the "real" bid.  In other words instead of both of us competing against 4 bidders, we would only be bidding against 3.  So I went and looked at the collection one day and my friend went another day.  We then got together and compared notes and decided on a bid.

We won the bid.

First picture is what they looked like when I went to view them.

Next picture is some of them after I got them out of the "bags".

And then some after I got them graded and priced.

A very nice original owner Golden Age collection!

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

Outstanding buy and great story!  I'm guessing the price stickers on the cover were appraised by the auctioneer?  I love that Batman 49!!

2 hours ago, Comics-n-ERB said:

Two years ago now I went to an estate auction that listed war comics.  Got there and started looking and they were all 1950's war books.  I saw a friend there who messes with comics also.  Between us, we bought quite a few but a out of town buyer got a bunch via phone bids.

At the end of the day I asked if there were anymore comics to the collection as it seemed weird that they were all war books.  The Auctioneer said yes, there were a bunch more.  He said he was planning to take 5 sealed bids for the rest of the collection.  The 5 bids he was going to ask the 5 biggest buyers from the auction to participate. 

I told him I was very interested and he said I would be one of the 5.  I then told my friend to go talk to the Auctioneer and get on the list.  He did.

So I talked to my friend and told him we should team up and split the collection; both of us would bid, but my bid would be the "real" bid.  In other words instead of both of us competing against 4 bidders, we would only be bidding against 3.  So I went and looked at the collection one day and my friend went another day.  We then got together and compared notes and decided on a bid.

We won the bid.

First picture is what they looked like when I went to view them.

Next picture is some of them after I got them out of the "bags".

And then some after I got them graded and priced.

A very nice original owner Golden Age collection!

Great story and great thinking. Sealed bids/auctions are stressful.

Do you still have any of the comics pictured?

What an awsome score! I love them just sitting raw in stacks. Great you took those pictures. 

Many years ago, I bought a similar collection of about 250-300 books of the same era. They were brought to me in paper boxes a box every couple of weeks. All mixed up. Blew my mind as I went through them and wondering what might be coming next. Took about 4 months to get them all. I sure wish I took pictures like that.