• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Outstanding buy and great story!  I'm guessing the price stickers on the cover were appraised by the auctioneer?  I love that Batman 49!!

Those are my prices.  I took the collection and priced it all up, then my friend and and split it up going by my pricing.  I'll take this one, you take that one, etc....

55 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Great story and great thinking. Sealed bids/auctions are stressful.

Do you still have any of the comics pictured?

Nearly all are gone now.  I still have a couple of the Superman's and Batman's.  None of the "keys" though.

44 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What an awsome score! I love them just sitting raw in stacks. Great you took those pictures. 

Many years ago, I bought a similar collection of about 250-300 books of the same era. They were brought to me in paper boxes a box every couple of weeks. All mixed up. Blew my mind as I went through them and wondering what might be coming next. Took about 4 months to get them all. I sure wish I took pictures like that. 

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

What an awsome score! I love them just sitting raw in stacks. Great you took those pictures. 

Many years ago, I bought a similar collection of about 250-300 books of the same era. They were brought to me in paper boxes a box every couple of weeks. All mixed up. Blew my mind as I went through them and wondering what might be coming next. Took about 4 months to get them all. I sure wish I took pictures like that. 

Thanks.  I wish I had taken pictures of a lot of the collections I have picked up over the years.

15 hours ago, Comics-n-ERB said:

Two years ago now I went to an estate auction that listed war comics.  Got there and started looking and they were all 1950's war books.  I saw a friend there who messes with comics also.  Between us, we bought quite a few but a out of town buyer got a bunch via phone bids.

At the end of the day I asked if there were anymore comics to the collection as it seemed weird that they were all war books.  The Auctioneer said yes, there were a bunch more.  He said he was planning to take 5 sealed bids for the rest of the collection.  The 5 bids he was going to ask the 5 biggest buyers from the auction to participate. 

I told him I was very interested and he said I would be one of the 5.  I then told my friend to go talk to the Auctioneer and get on the list.  He did.

So I talked to my friend and told him we should team up and split the collection; both of us would bid, but my bid would be the "real" bid.  In other words instead of both of us competing against 4 bidders, we would only be bidding against 3.  So I went and looked at the collection one day and my friend went another day.  We then got together and compared notes and decided on a bid.

We won the bid.

First picture is what they looked like when I went to view them.

Next picture is some of them after I got them out of the "bags".

And then some after I got them graded and priced.

A very nice original owner Golden Age collection!

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

Dave showed me the World's Finest book in the third photo (top right), and I can vouch that it was really nice! I can't wait to see him (and all the other Carolina dealers) at a show again!

On 5/27/2020 at 7:44 AM, Comics-n-ERB said:

both of us would bid, but my bid would be the "real" bid.  In other words instead of both of us competing against 4 bidders, we would only be bidding against 3.

Maybe I'm a Puritan but that feels unethical to me.  The seller probably did OK because there were 3 other bidders to keep it honest but rigging an auction is dishonest and this could have hurt the seller.

29 minutes ago, Turnando said:

Maybe I'm a Puritan but that feels unethical to me.  The seller probably did OK because there were 3 other bidders to keep it honest but rigging an auction is dishonest and this could have hurt the seller.

It wasn't a pure auction though, the auctioneer only initiated contact with the real buyers that showed up.  And based on the OP buying other books, they presented a very strong bid.  

If the auctioneer felt the bids received were not the best he could have easily said no deal, and sold the books at auction like the rest of them.  It was dumb on his part not piecing them out, but I think I've already mentioned how lazy some of these guys are - even auctioneers.  

Edited by spreads

1 hour ago, Turnando said:

this isn't new... Buyer 1 sends an offer.. Buyer 2 (pal of Buyer 1) sends an even lower offer. So the seller accepts Buyer 1's offer... it's a win win

18 hours ago, littledoom said:

this isn't new... Buyer 1 sends an offer.. Buyer 2 (pal of Buyer 1) sends an even lower offer. So the seller accepts Buyer 1's offer... it's a win win

It's not win-win for the seller.  It might not even be win-win for the two buyers if the high bid decides to stiff the lower bidder, and keep all the books.  Take your best shot or go home.

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

It's not win-win for the seller.  It might not even be win-win for the two buyers if the high bid decides to stiff the lower bidder, and keep all the books.  Take your best shot or go home.

We were bidding against 3 other buyers.  One of them was the call in bidder that bought so much and paid a lot doing it during the auction.  I beat his bid by $500.  We certainly didn't "steal" this collection as we paid $10,500.  If that's not a fair bid then I don't know what is.

And if you can't trust your friends then who can you trust?

On 6/1/2020 at 9:01 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

The ethics policing in this thread is getting old. 

It is definitely expected whenever someone feels the need to act like they know the best way to handle anything.

It is like when you go out to eat and buy the whole meal for the people you are with and they concern themselves with the size of the tip you are adding. I find that type of nonsense unacceptable and grounds to make that the last dinner with that person. Insulting! I tip very well-- mind your own business.

Edited by 01TheDude

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The comics I grabbed from the garage sale I attended aren’t really worthy of note, but there was a stack of programs in one of the boxes that are kinda cool.

They’re from 1948-1954

What was cool to find is that a bunch of them have clipped newspaper articles about each play tucked inside.   No idea if there’s a market for this stuff, but fun to go through regardless. :smile:

8FAB3692-9DB2-4CA5-8663-1EFAFA1FC028.jpeg

E2714C19-2645-4D08-B052-D9E73F53E662.jpeg

17752BD6-AA23-495A-945F-4651E2370454.jpeg

D4D2EFBD-F0CE-4F7F-91B9-D20F706B42A2.jpeg

3041BC39-8D88-4EF7-9F43-63C98ADAF05E.jpeg

4B4DC16C-4270-4876-A7FE-9A269122F95A.jpeg

I love old menus ... in regards to other ephemera

10 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The comics I grabbed from the garage sale I attended aren’t really worthy of note, but there was a stack of programs in one of the boxes that are kinda cool.

They’re from 1948-1954

What was cool to find is that a bunch of them have clipped newspaper articles about each play tucked inside.   No idea if there’s a market for this stuff, but fun to go through regardless. :smile:

8FAB3692-9DB2-4CA5-8663-1EFAFA1FC028.jpeg

E2714C19-2645-4D08-B052-D9E73F53E662.jpeg

17752BD6-AA23-495A-945F-4651E2370454.jpeg

D4D2EFBD-F0CE-4F7F-91B9-D20F706B42A2.jpeg

3041BC39-8D88-4EF7-9F43-63C98ADAF05E.jpeg

4B4DC16C-4270-4876-A7FE-9A269122F95A.jpeg

Neat!

I made a very modest buy that I'm very happy with.  The seller posted a few beater treasuries for sale for $20.  I had them, so I passed.  Later, he added a digest, a magazine, and an A-Team marvel graphic novel that I'd never seen before (squarebound, magazine size like Death of Captain Marvel).  It was still $20, so I took it.  Probably would have paid $20 for the A-Team by itself, but I didnt even meet the guy: it was left outside the side entrance, and I was told to drop the $20 bill in the mailbox.

20200604_224031.jpg

53 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I made a very modest buy that I'm very happy with.  The seller posted a few beater treasuries for sale for $20.  I had them, so I passed.  Later, he added a digest, a magazine, and an A-Team marvel graphic novel that I'd never seen before (squarebound, magazine size like Death of Captain Marvel).  It was still $20, so I took it.  Probably would have paid $20 for the A-Team by itself, but I didnt even meet the guy: it was left outside the side entrance, and I was told to drop the $20 bill in the mailbox.

20200604_224031.jpg

Thanks for leaving me a fake $20 bill!  You crook!