• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,806 posts in this topic

This posting showed up on local estate sale site with only one picture of comics and note that they would take bids via email, and could provide a list of books. I responded and got the list also attached. I didn’t make a bid, figuring the Loki and Morbius books would be out of my budget.

On Sunday I got an email saying the winning bid was $3,700 - which surprised me. Maybe the buyer got a chance to look at books to assess their condition, but does this sound like a win for the buyer or seller? I’m thinking the seller is likely pretty happy with the outcome.

054A27C3-CDF5-4D16-A70D-BF1424B52CF3.jpeg

AC847619-8FE5-48EE-974D-EB29D46D8A80.jpeg

5B08E5ED-9990-45BE-84C6-C0AACF8D575C.jpeg

BCE9FE82-86C7-497B-AB55-6FAB919EA997.jpeg

2 minutes ago, westerberg14 said:

This posting showed up on local estate sale site with only one picture of comics and note that they would take bids via email, and could provide a list of books. I responded and got the list also attached. I didn’t make a bid, figuring the Loki and Morbius books would be out of my budget.

On Sunday I got an email saying the winning bid was $3,700 - which surprised me. Maybe the buyer got a chance to look at books to assess their condition, but does this sound like a win for the buyer or seller? I’m thinking the seller is likely pretty happy with the outcome.

@jsilverjanet

1 hour ago, westerberg14 said:

AC847619-8FE5-48EE-974D-EB29D46D8A80.jpeg

5B08E5ED-9990-45BE-84C6-C0AACF8D575C.jpeg

BCE9FE82-86C7-497B-AB55-6FAB919EA997.jpeg

Def sounds high. I used to try to bid on local estate auctions like that and I found that for whatever reason people always overbid on those things. 

I think it's due to the "estate find" mentality. In people's minds it adds a mystique and makes them think they're getting a steal. 

I would say the seller won on that deal. Like $27. a book. A few nice to OK books but mostly a lot of swill to deal with. Not knowing condition, I would have stayed away too. 

I have hand picked some lots, salted in a few low grade keys and semi keys and sent them to a local auction house. Just enough to get a little attention. People get worked up and then those folks who have heard that “comics are worth money” get involved and poof! 

Even with consignment fees, I usually do real well. And, I move out a lot of swill I can’t sell any other way.

As far as buying estate sale comics, I’ve been doing this a long time. I know a lot of the estate people. I either offer them a fair price for what I want or advise them how to maximize what they have. A lot of the real good stuff is already gone before the sale is announced...

Edited by Robot Man

On 7/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, Robot Man said:

Now, that’s a good friend! Those would have probably sold well in the estate sale. At the least, you owe him a nice dinner. 

I had a friend bring in this tub of comics to work. He found them in a garage of a house he just bought. He just gave them to me. I went in the next day and handed him some nice cash. He was blown away. 

553B3609-5F2B-4268-8E18-5F7FFE4574C3.jpeg

BBE86A0A-48D5-418E-BF03-1506C12391A3.jpeg

giphy.gif

On 7/16/2020 at 7:48 PM, DJones said:

giphy.gif

Yes of course. But things like this happen because I let people know what I look for. I was known as “that comic guy” at work. I was able to score a couple little collections there. One cool one was about 100 red line Hot Wheels. Again, started out as a gift. But I believe in being honest with people. He was very grateful when I handed him a nice handful of money the next day. Word gets around. 

25 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Auction today....these were my favorite purchases....

The Scoobies will be off for a press and grade....definitely some of the nicer raw early numbers I've seen....

Another good day of scrounging for comics and things!

20200718_202437.jpg

That Scooby 1 looks so nice!

Edited by Cozmo-One

11 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Auction today....these were my favorite purchases....

The Scoobies will be off for a press and grade....definitely some of the nicer raw early numbers I've seen....

Another good day of scrounging for comics and things!

20200718_202437.jpg

20200718_213419.jpg

20200718_213434.jpg

20200718_213514.jpg

The Batman puppet in the box and Magic Slate are. :luhv:

On 7/18/2020 at 10:44 AM, Robot Man said:

Yes of course. But things like this happen because I let people know what I look for. I was known as “that comic guy” at work. I was able to score a couple little collections there. One cool one was about 100 red line Hot Wheels. Again, started out as a gift. But I believe in being honest with people. He was very grateful when I handed him a nice handful of money the next day. Word gets around. 

Exactly.  You need to be able to network, case in point earlier this week my cousin sent me a FB message....'hey you still do the comic buying/appraisal thing?'.  'Co worker of mine is thinking of selling his collection 3,000 comics, Avengers 1, ASM 6, etc. '

This might lead nowhere, or it might be a huge buy, but you need to network to get the leads.  Anyone can just post a WTB ad on Facebook/Craiglist/Kijiji.  

51 minutes ago, yecul said:

Gotta be some D&D folks here. There were a few random comics in the lot as well so I say this one counts.

Saw a post on Facebook marketplace for a lot of D&D items. A couple box sets, some modules/hardcovers, and a bunch of Dragon magazines were pictured. Enough for me and some fun stuff if that was it so I went to check it out. There was quite a bit more as it turned out

Parents were downsizing to a retirement community and the son whose stuff this was is out west, so time to sell. I didn't look close when I was there but once home... wow.

The boxes and modules in the 3rd pic are mostly sealed. The Illuminati sets are sealed. Had no idea what they were. Some really great stuff!

20200729_232425.jpg

20200729_231804.jpg

20200729_231807.jpg

20200729_231812.jpg

20200729_231815.jpg

20200729_231818.jpg

20200729_231824.jpg

I just bought 10 5th edition books, 21 sets of dice, and other random stuff today on OfferUp. I would like to start playing again. Please message me if you are selling any books or modules. 

4 hours ago, yecul said:

Gotta be some D&D folks here. There were a few random comics in the lot as well so I say this one counts.

Saw a post on Facebook marketplace for a lot of D&D items. A couple box sets, some modules/hardcovers, and a bunch of Dragon magazines were pictured. Enough for me and some fun stuff if that was it so I went to check it out. There was quite a bit more as it turned out

Parents were downsizing to a retirement community and the son whose stuff this was is out west, so time to sell. I didn't look close when I was there but once home... wow.

The boxes and modules in the 3rd pic are mostly sealed. The Illuminati sets are sealed. Had no idea what they were. Some really great stuff!

20200729_232425.jpg

20200729_231804.jpg

20200729_231807.jpg

20200729_231812.jpg

:whatthe:

Wow. Been trying to re-acquire an original Monster Manual to fill out my set. They ain't cheap.

On another note - if my parents sold my D&D stuff while I was away, even if I'd gone on a mining survey to Pluto, it would be the last thing they did as living entities. Just saying...

Seriously though, nice haul. (thumbsu