• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Not a flea market find but wanted to share beyond my journal...Last year, well, nearly a year and a half ago, an acquaintance referred an older gentleman to me about some comics. 

As he was from out of province, I met quickly with him one afternoon over a year ago when he was in town for a medical appointment to look at his books.  We couldn’t agree to something at that very brief meeting is because my initial offer, in typical fashion, was “not enough” and “below his expectations.”  These were books he had as a child and had hung onto all these years. 

Regardless, we stayed in touch here and there and I looked at more of his books via email, gave him storage advice, etc.  He emailed me to say he was in town this week for another medical appointment and asked me if I was still interested. I said yes. So, we agreed to meet.  With both of us wearing masks and social distancing I looked at his books in the trunk of his car in the hotel parking lot (we joked people would think we were doing a drug deal) and he had a change of heart and I upped my offer a bit and he came down a lot, so we did the deal.

This is a sample of what I think is the “better stuff” but I still have a lot of 10 cent Dell’s and early cartoon/Disney books to look at and process along with a few other comic books.  Not really any super hero books. Mostly war and westerns.  In total, it was like two and a half banker boxes worth, books towered side by side (didn’t really do anything with my storage advice).  He mentioned he thought he had more crime books but has not been able to find them. I told him if he did, to call me.  He seemed happy, so hopefully if he does ever find them, he will call me again. 

I don’t come across these type of books too often, even though most of them are low to mid graders, I wanted them.  Plus, quite a few of them seem to be Canadian editions which I find interesting.  It will take a bit of time to process, but here are a few group shots of what I picked up.

Those are some really cool books.  Obviously the Captain America is amazing but I love those War covers.  Great find and glad you were able to work out a deal.

7 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Not a flea market find but wanted to share beyond my journal...Last year, well, nearly a year and a half ago, an acquaintance referred an older gentleman to me about some comics. 

As he was from out of province, I met quickly with him one afternoon over a year ago when he was in town for a medical appointment to look at his books.  We couldn’t agree to something at that very brief meeting is because my initial offer, in typical fashion, was “not enough” and “below his expectations.”  These were books he had as a child and had hung onto all these years. 

Regardless, we stayed in touch here and there and I looked at more of his books via email, gave him storage advice, etc.  He emailed me to say he was in town this week for another medical appointment and asked me if I was still interested. I said yes. So, we agreed to meet.  With both of us wearing masks and social distancing I looked at his books in the trunk of his car in the hotel parking lot (we joked people would think we were doing a drug deal) and he had a change of heart and I upped my offer a bit and he came down a lot, so we did the deal.

This is a sample of what I think is the “better stuff” but I still have a lot of 10 cent Dell’s and early cartoon/Disney books to look at and process along with a few other comic books.  Not really any super hero books. Mostly war and westerns.  In total, it was like two and a half banker boxes worth, books towered side by side (didn’t really do anything with my storage advice).  He mentioned he thought he had more crime books but has not been able to find them. I told him if he did, to call me.  He seemed happy, so hopefully if he does ever find them, he will call me again. 

I don’t come across these type of books too often, even though most of them are low to mid graders, I wanted them.  Plus, quite a few of them seem to be Canadian editions which I find interesting.  It will take a bit of time to process, but here are a few group shots of what I picked up.

20200828_095340.jpg

20200828_095259.jpg

20200828_095206.jpg

20200828_095125.jpg

20200828_095042.jpg

20200828_095009.jpg

20200828_094707.jpg

Wow, fun bunch of books! Congrats! Hopefully, he comes through with those Crime (and maybe some horror)...

Behold and gaze at the Fraunkin Stein book

First off the cover is in twain and has yellow tape

Then since it is a glue cover

BEHOLD THE GLORY OF STAPLES!! 

All this WORK for the gloried sum of 

Spoiler

Receipt below! Egor approved!

:x

have fun on this another Saturday 😉

IMG_20200829_151535063.jpg

IMG_20200829_151543068.jpg

IMG_20200829_151607760.jpg

IMG_20200829_151718124.jpg

30YTFRANKENSTEINjpg.jpg

37 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Behold and gaze at the Fraunkin Stein book

First off the cover is in twain and has yellow tape

Then since it is a glue cover

BEHOLD THE GLORY OF STAPLES!! 

All this WORK for the gloried sum of 

Reveal hidden contents

Receipt below! Egor approved!

:x

have fun on this another Saturday 😉

The Giant Size books, while glued, do also have staples. (Unless I’m blatantly missing something else in the picture.)

8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

The Giant Size books, while glued, do also have staples. (Unless I’m blatantly missing something else in the picture.)

Well that's news to me, I'd have never thought!

My giant size spiderman 4 I don't remember having them....

Can you tell by that pic if those were added after manufacturing?

That's the way it looked to me whether it came with staples originally.

Is that the way they staples glue ones? Not in the middle where you fold the center and see the staples

Here is the back page and you'll see what I mean..

IMG_20200829_161223322.jpg

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well that's news to me, I'd have never thought!

My giant size spiderman 4 I don't remember having them....

Can you tell by that pic if those were added after manufacturing?

That's the way it looked to me whether it came with staples originally.

Is that the way they staples glue ones? Not in the middle where you fold the center and see the staples

Here is the back page and you'll see what I mean..

IMG_20200829_161223322.jpg

Yep, those look original for this book. It appears stapled “backwards” compared to how we think it should be with the prongs facing the front cover. 

It is not uncommon for those prongs to dent or even poke through the front cover on some books (including GSX 1). 

I don’t know about all Giant Size books, but the interior pages are stapled together and then the cover is glued on at the spine. 

3 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Yep, those look original for this book. It appears stapled “backwards” compared to how we think it should be with the prongs facing the front cover. 

It is not uncommon for those prongs to dent or even poke through the front cover on some books (including GSX 1). 

I don’t know about all Giant Size books, but the interior pages are stapled together and then the cover is glued on at the spine. 

Wow! You just made my day!!! ^^

So it's a blue label after all lol

Sure only a 1.5 grade but dang, even a .5 blue label looks decent for 54 cents haha

That's if I was to have it graded hm

Haha

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wow! You just made my day!!! ^^

So it's a blue label after all lol

Sure only a 1.5 grade but dang, even a .5 blue label looks decent for 54 cents haha

That's if I was to have it graded hm

Haha

If you go for it then go for the gold and make it a signature series. I think it is more of a challenge to have the lowest graded signature series book then the highest. 

Just now, cgcsketcherz said:

If you go for it then go for the gold and make it a signature series. I think it is more of a challenge to have the lowest graded signature series book then the highest. 

Interesting thought, but the grade is so low I dont see anyone wanting it but me ha

Signature series or not, and I'm not sure that I want to track down a signature myself

I have many low grade readers like this, bats 234 & 244, jo 134 etc 

This will just have to be filed under someday :x

8 minutes ago, cgcsketcherz said:

Plus, I have seen writers/artist smile brightly when they get the dog eared books. 

I've done the low grade sig thing on value books like ASM 50, the artist would be happy if I brought it up now lol

As oppose to when korvac is on lunchboxes I guess, makes sense.

I wish we had cons to go to, to contemplate this stuff easier and with more assurance.

But I'll take it to heart (thumbsu

For now it'll be my read after the three stooges and family feud...

Thanks again for setting me straight @manetteska you made my day, I knew I was buying a reader but this made it special. :)

3 minutes ago, kilowatt said:

Now some of the highlights of what was inside...I guess i owe her a nice dinner out!

IMG_20200830_132300226.jpg

IMG_20200830_132627318.jpg

IMG_20200830_132942857.jpg

IMG_20200830_133212375.jpg

IMG_20200830_133649685.jpg

Holy Crud! What a haul!.. That has to be the best $20 I've seen spent on this thread in a while.. So many keys... Miracleman 15 is nuts. 

8 minutes ago, kilowatt said:

There were some Elvira`s, Spider-Man 2099, Aliens, Predator and Terminator comics. I just didn`t show them all. Some jackpots are still out there.  

She deserves a raise!!! That's so awesome :)

43 minutes ago, kilowatt said:

Now some of the highlights of what was inside...I guess i owe her a nice dinner out!

Seriously, that box is ridiculous. It looks like all the stuff that's missing out of boxes I get to look through. Hell, even had the Alf seal-molestation issue for giggles.