• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, littledoom said:

What does that entail? How is that possible?.. Solo or do you have employees? that number is more than half a years weekends.. that's a full time job if you ask me...

1. A lot of work 

2. Call up promoters and sign up

3. Me, a friend and brother all go in on stuff together.  My brother is retired from shows for the most part as of this year however.  Also get my wife & daughter to help most shows and have a couple other friends I call in a pinch if we need extra help.

4. Some weekends there will be a show on Sat and another on Sun....they pile up quickly that way.

5.  Well, it was worse when I was also the Head Wrestling Coach at our High School for 28 years....At least now I do have a moment or two to do other things I like....:insane:

12 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

1. A lot of work 

2. Call up promoters and sign up

3. Me, a friend and brother all go in on stuff together.  My brother is retired from shows for the most part as of this year however.  Also get my wife & daughter to help most shows and have a couple other friends I call in a pinch if we need extra help.

4. Some weekends there will be a show on Sat and another on Sun....they pile up quickly that way.

5.  Well, it was worse when I was also the Head Wrestling Coach at our High School for 28 years....At least now I do have a moment or two to do other things I like....:insane:

two different shows on a weekend makes sense.. for some reason all local shows in my area are always on Sundays.. hope you get your rest and enjoy holidays

5 hours ago, littledoom said:

What does that entail? How is that possible?.. Solo or do you have employees? that number is more than half a years weekends.. that's a full time job if you ask me...

It's very possible.  I have buddies that have done 3 even 4 shows in a month (every weekend), some of these shows would be two day events.....Less than two months ago I started a new career in Real Estate, I'm probably logging 65-70 hours a week (I have a 18 month old at home).  It's no different than running a business, so for the guys with full time jobs and committed to many shows they are basically working 70-80 hour weeks.  It's exhausting, but you do it because it's a passion.....

Edited by spreads

35 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Recent pick-ups from an antique mall, all sensibly priced under $10. The Sherlock Holmes Classics Illustrated isn’t a first edition, but the Tom Brown’s School Days is. It’s evident from this small grouping just how much Dell liked yellow backgrounds! :banana:

57E8F554-F54D-45D7-BBFA-34EE899A7B07.jpeg

It's a primary color... yellow is a fun color. I see green covers dominate the golden age also.. lots of black for horror..

Not pressing a book with considerable value these days is horrible practice. You could be leaving hundreds or thousands of dollars on the table. Most pressers will do it for $10-20 a book depending on how good they are. It will also cut down on your wait because if CGC presses the books prepare to wait several months. I send my books to a guy who then sends them to CGC for me.

43 minutes ago, Comic Roger B said:

Not pressing a book with considerable value these days is horrible practice. You could be leaving hundreds or thousands of dollars on the table. Most pressers will do it for $10-20 a book depending on how good they are. It will also cut down on your wait because if CGC presses the books prepare to wait several months. I send my books to a guy who then sends them to CGC for me.

Everything you said here I already knew....my question (cross posted in the PGM thread) is, 'what type of grading penalty would CGC assign to the grade based on the curve of this book'.  I'm evaluating pressing or not pressing a handful of books, and how that affects the timelines and marketability of the collection as a whole.  The top books above will not be pressed because there is far too much risk of damaging the spines, nor will they see any real benefit from a press. 

Edited by spreads

On 9/18/2020 at 1:21 PM, F For Fake said:

It's absolutely one of my all time favorite books. Heavy nostalgia vibe for me. Somewhere there's a yearbook with a picture of me in 7th grade proudly wearing my Excalibur shirt for my school photo! ha

It's a beautiful cover as well, and instantly transports me to those middle school years. Kitty and Nightcrawler were always my favorite X-Men, and as you point out, Davis' art is terrific. No one ever drew those characters better, IMO.

I buy them whenever I see them for a buck or less, and have a pretty healthy stack. It's fun to seek out the different variations. There are at least four: the 1st print no cover price version with barcode on back (not sure if it was actually a newsstand, but it has a bar code all the same. Some folks sell this as a "newsstand". I've never actually confirmed it), a first print WITH cover price $3.25, 2nd print with cover price of $3.50, and a final 3rd printing with $4.50 cover price and "Sword is Drawn" logo on the front cover.

Over the years of picking them up, I've accumulated a stack of a couple dozen or more, and the 1st print w/ cover price far outweighs the others. 2nd print $3.50 is the scarcest according to my experience, but I use "scarcest" in the loosest sense of the word and only my limited buying pool to judge by.  I've only got a couple of the no-price 1st prints as well. Of course, none of them are scarce. BUT, if you're a big fan like me, it's fun to track them all down on the cheap!

Only 1 case example, but I bought the bar code version at my local 7-11 when it came out

2 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

Only 1 case example, but I bought the bar code version at my local 7-11 when it came out

Ok, cool! So maybe they were newsstands after all? They're the only versions that had a bar code, as far as I can tell, so that may in fact be legit!

2 hours ago, spreads said:

Everything you said here I already knew....my question (cross posted in the PGM thread) is, 'what type of grading penalty would CGC assign to the grade based on the curve of this book'.  I'm evaluating pressing or not pressing a handful of books, and how that affects the timelines and marketability of the collection as a whole.  The top books above will not be pressed because there is far too much risk of damaging the spines, nor will they see any real benefit from a press. 

Almost every book can benefit from a press (especially Silver-Age books that have been stored improperly for years) and the cost vs benefit when you are talking about key books makes it almost imperative that you press the books before grading if you want top dollar.  I don't have a definete grade drop but I'd think CGC would give a warped book a big down grade.  The key books will still be in demand after a few months so I'd not worry about the market shifting while you wait for the press / grade.

10 hours ago, spreads said:

Follow-up....several pages back I mentioned that I would market and prepare a collection for sale, here are the books now that I've gone through them.  Sadly, a lot of the comics have curvature (mostly the Bronze era) from improper storage.  I really hate that 'benefit from pressing' cliche but if you see these books in hand, you'd agree that statement is never more true than this instance!   I'll be sending them off to CGC this week, so I'll have a bit of time to figure out how I can successfully orchestrate a bank heist, or win the lottery, so afford this collection! 

I don't think...selling our second property to buy a collection of comics I really want, will fly with my better half.imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

IMG-6666.jpg

You bought these comics in this pic?