• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,805 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya and after research the #2 at 75 cents was 2nd print too lol

:takeit:

Only reason I know is because I found a GIJOE 27 (.75) with the black head Spidey, and looked it up. 

AFB4FFF8-270D-44D4-9C39-30329D9F67D5.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Picked up a little collection tonight. 1500+ books for $150. At that price I don’t worry too much about the contents, but when I picked them up he mentioned Crossgen so I was like “Ooh, I’ve made a terrible mistake.”

However, he then mentioned sexy girls, so I thought I might be ok. Really, for $150, I only need to make $200 to cover fees and gas and break even, which means I only need to find 20 books to sell at $10 a pop to be ok. I like those odds.

Won’t have a chance to dig in until tomorrow, but I’ve already found some AH covers, some Harley Quinn etc so I think I’ll be ok. Digging through them will be fun. I can’t do the big collections anymore, too much space and time and back pain, but a collection this size seems just right. He said he started collecting in 1999 and stopped in 2001, so if there’s anything in particular you think is worth looking for, chime in! I’ve already seen some Dirty Pair, so I hope that AH cover is in there!

Will report back soon!

1999-2001, eh? That's a lot of bins for a pretty narrow time frame, which suggests he may have been pretty thorough. That's a good sort of collection to check for the low print run and recalled stuff. Off the top of my head, stuff I'd look for:

• The "microwaved baby" printing of the Elseworlds 80-page Giant
  • Elektra #3 "nude" printing (check panels on 17-18)
  • Universe X Spidey #1 recalled print, slandering Bob Harras. Honestly wouldn't expect to see this one in the wild, but...
  • There are quite a few DF covers and other variants in this time period that are worth having, but it's always hard to know if a collection will have them. Of course, there are also a lot of variant covers and promo pieces from 1999-2001 that are worth approximately nothing!

"Normal" books that are better than bulk:

• 100 Bullets #1. Maybe.
  • Amazing Spider-Man (v2). Both #1 and #36 (the 9/11 tribute issue) are in this timeframe. Frankly, several other issues are at least worth paying attention to, including other books in the JMS run.
  • Batman: Harley Quinn nn
  • Harley Quinn #1
  • Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (and potentially #2).
  • <self-promotion> If the collection is particularly high-grade, I'm incentivizing adding certain Midnight Nation issues to a 9.8 pre-screening... </self-promotion>
Edited by Qalyar
Corrected 80-page typo

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

He said he started collecting in 1999 and stopped in 2001, so if there’s anything in particular you think is worth looking for, chime in!

To add to what @Qalyarsaid, from a Wolverine perspective, be on the lookout for #145 (Standard, Silver, Gold, DF, Nabisco, and Bone... good luck and :wishluck: on any of those last three).

If there are newsstands, also check for the Marvel price variants, as denoted in the thread below.  Lots of boardies hunting those books down now.

If you want to have "fun" going through boxes of comics, here is a current add in our local craigslist (Raleigh, NC).

All or none!!! You must take all!! --I have 70 boxes of comics ----the price is firm!!!-any issues you have on your end are your issues!!(ie--storage and transport).

Long and short boxes-41 long and 29 short-(some are what I would consider 3/4---shorter than long , but longer than the short))-about 70 total with lots of each--tons of Marvel , DC, and tons of Independents -- ! Xmen, XForce Hulk, Batman, Spiderman, Avengers, Green Lantern, Harley Quinn, Superman(some of the Superman are definitely older--1970s and a lot of newer), Outsiders, Some Conan and some Transformers, some Star Trek, Etc Etc.... May be 35-40% Independents-(some titles have many copies( a few 10 plus) of the same book and some stuff Ive never heard of))-this should be in the approximate range of 15,000 comics(that is just a guesstimate)!!!!! -~~~~

Comics are likely mostly 1980s-2000s with a few earlier and a lot newer!! Condition is all over the place--with tons bagged and boarded but many are not---some might be very good all the way down to rough!!

I dont think you are going to finds tons, if any, keys or super expensive books in the comics! I definitely DO NOT have a list! I do not need you to come here and search through every book and am not interested in piecing this out! However, there is a wide variety of stuff here. You come prepared to take it all---my son and I will help load!! Its a lot!!!

Pay me $4000 to take away all the comics I have left after I have picked out all the valuable keys please

I don't know how anyone finds a deal anymore.  You have to somehow stumble on someone who has no idea of the value of what they have?  And then you're pretty scummy if you buy it cheap off them anyway?  Maybe estate sales are okay?  But even then the administrators would have to be pretty clueless for something valuable to be missed.    

Another try at $2 lol

This time from a video game store with some random short boxes called game exchange 

They had some trade paperbacks that were still sealed priced at $10, but often they ring up lower than sticker. Just friendly atmosphere if you see one in the your area. This one was clean and well kept. 

20210116_131749.jpg

13 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Hey guys, thanks so much for the input, especially @Qalyar and @masterlogan2000for the tips!

This is a very unusual and interesting collection, in that it's from a very specific period, but has very little mainstream superhero stuff. Aside from some Punisher, Spider-Woman, JSA and Harley, there's practically zero Marvel and DC. But that's not a bad thing.

I made a quick pass last night and pulled all of these out. So with this little stack we are already "in the money." Now to go through it all again and sort the rest out to see if I missed any goodies, and start assembling the runs.

The way the guy described it to me, he randomly started collecting in 1999. He'd carefully read a book once, then put it in one of these tubs, then never touch it again. So they're in the order he read them, which is interesting. On the pro side, they are almost entirely free of spine stresses and corner dings. On the con side, the contents of a few of the tubs had shifted, so you have some stacking curls and spine rolls. Luckily most of the "money" books were unaffected.

Aside from the stuff pictured there are tons of Chaos Comics, like complete runs of Lady Death, Purgatori, but also all of the WWF stuff and even Insane Clown Posse. Maybe not exciting at first glance, but they'll sell in complete sets, no problem. Lots of random Bad Girl stuff which always moves at the right price.

There are also dozens of Image and Top Cow books I've never heard of, as well as what appears to be a complete set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as well as most of the Crossgen line. Now, again, that all seems pretty drekky, but it look s like complete sets on some of these titles sell for $30-$40, and even $60-$80. Since my cost is only around 10 cents a book, they'll pay off well.

So luckily I've got a nice little starter stack to make an instant profit, and as I work the collection over the next couple of weeks, I should do nicely. And as @Get Marwood & I pointed out, sorting through a collection like this is just fun!

On the personal front, the guy had a complete set of the last 30 issue of so of Gen 13, which aren't worth anything, but I can never find them. I've been trying to put the entire title (all of the volumes) together at a buck or less each for a few years now, and I think I'm nearly done!

There were also some trades as well.

All in all a lot of fun. Thanks for reading along.

And @Qalyar PM me your want list. There actually are a few Midnight Nation books in here. Not sure about condition, but you can have 'em!

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

If you're going to have only a little mainstream stuff in that range, Harley's a good run to have. I'll also agree that some of that Chaos stuff is tolerable in full runs.

And while I personally find the title execrable, that Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #1A is a pretty good money book for the period.

20 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Hey guys, thanks so much for the input, especially @Qalyar and @masterlogan2000for the tips!

This is a very unusual and interesting collection, in that it's from a very specific period, but has very little mainstream superhero stuff. Aside from some Punisher, Spider-Woman, JSA and Harley, there's practically zero Marvel and DC. But that's not a bad thing.

I made a quick pass last night and pulled all of these out. So with this little stack we are already "in the money." Now to go through it all again and sort the rest out to see if I missed any goodies, and start assembling the runs.

The way the guy described it to me, he randomly started collecting in 1999. He'd carefully read a book once, then put it in one of these tubs, then never touch it again. So they're in the order he read them, which is interesting. On the pro side, they are almost entirely free of spine stresses and corner dings. On the con side, the contents of a few of the tubs had shifted, so you have some stacking curls and spine rolls. Luckily most of the "money" books were unaffected.

Aside from the stuff pictured there are tons of Chaos Comics, like complete runs of Lady Death, Purgatori, but also all of the WWF stuff and even Insane Clown Posse. Maybe not exciting at first glance, but they'll sell in complete sets, no problem. Lots of random Bad Girl stuff which always moves at the right price.

There are also dozens of Image and Top Cow books I've never heard of, as well as what appears to be a complete set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as well as most of the Crossgen line. Now, again, that all seems pretty drekky, but it look s like complete sets on some of these titles sell for $30-$40, and even $60-$80. Since my cost is only around 10 cents a book, they'll pay off well.

So luckily I've got a nice little starter stack to make an instant profit, and as I work the collection over the next couple of weeks, I should do nicely. And as @Get Marwood & I pointed out, sorting through a collection like this is just fun!

On the personal front, the guy had a complete set of the last 30 issue of so of Gen 13, which aren't worth anything, but I can never find them. I've been trying to put the entire title (all of the volumes) together at a buck or less each for a few years now, and I think I'm nearly done!

And @Qalyar PM me your want list. There actually are a few Midnight Nation books in here. Not sure about condition, but you can have 'em!

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

man I loved that our worlds at war cover lol it's a sweet Jae Lee! I had it on my radar early on, I had Jae sign a statue. Then directly put my foot in mouth :roflmao: man artists have to put up with a lot because I've been "that guy" before ha

Still nice haul. And thanks for liking my Uncanny X-force :shy: it was fun to pick up, because of our last conversation when I picked up #4 from the same location. I'm indebted to the boards for the information that y'all have relayed. I hope that I too do my part :) 

30 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

If you're going to have only a little mainstream stuff in that range, Harley's a good run to have. I'll also agree that some of that Chaos stuff is tolerable in full runs.

And while I personally find the title execrable, that Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #1A is a pretty good money book for the period.

Yes, none of it really speaks to my personal tastes, which is just as well, as I won't be tempted to keep it! Yeah, there are several $20-$30 books in here, as well as a few $40-$50, and lots and lots of sets. It adds up quickly!

9 hours ago, F For Fake said:

He'd carefully read a book once, then put it in one of these tubs, then never touch it again.

I rarely read the same exact comic twice.. the mention of read once then stored away is funny. It’s not like a basketball where you’re using it all the time lol 

11 hours ago, littledoom said:

I rarely read the same exact comic twice.. the mention of read once then stored away is funny. It’s not like a basketball where you’re using it all the time lol 

Hmm, I dunno, most of the people I know who grew up reading comics read them many times. That's why so many older comics have reading wear and tear. Most of us were readers before we were collectors. Most of these books in this collection are 20 years old now, and I'd judge the guy was a teenager at that time, so his statement made sense to me. 

Picked up this haul yesterday at a local swap meet. Most of everything here was $2-3 each, a few that were $5 (Saga7, MP21, Defenders27). I think i made out pretty well. I think my favorites have got to be the Saga #7 (low print run), Hellboy signed by Maleev, the Inhumans issues and Marvel Premier 21 (1st app. Misty Knight).

11721haul1.jpg

11721haul2.jpg

11721haul3.jpg

On 1/16/2021 at 3:49 PM, F For Fake said:

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

The Crossgen stuff and a lot of publishers like them actually have very good reads, and some of them have very rare variant covers.  A lot of the titles you already mentioned: Halloween, Chaos comics....also a lot of the B-C list bad girl comics have niche but collectible markets.  I think you should pull them out by title and go through them, 1500 comics isn't a ton! 

Sight unseen it was a no lose buy....a few years back I bought 11 shorts for about $500 because it had a good run of Spawn.  The rest of the stuff was easy to sell at $50 a short - low risk venture.  You could easily do this with this lot, dump some of the longs in the $40-50 range.  

Also look out for newsstands of all the publishers.  I actually probably prefer this type of collection buy over any other because it's not much work at all, little to no monetary risk, and you'll educate yourself on a ton of titles that you never knew of for the next time.  EG Maybe there's a bunch of Avatar comics in there with value that you never heard of before. 

Edited by spreads