• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, spreads said:

The Crossgen stuff and a lot of publishers like them actually have very good reads, and some of them have very rare variant covers.  A lot of the titles you already mentioned: Halloween, Chaos comics....also a lot of the B-C list bad girl comics have niche but collectible markets.  I think you should pull them out by title and go through them, 1500 comics isn't a ton! 

Sight unseen it was a no lose buy....a few years back I bought 11 shorts for about $500 because it had a good run of Spawn.  The rest of the stuff was easy to sell at $50 a short - low risk venture.  You could easily do this with this lot, dump some of the longs in the $40-50 range.  

Also look out for newsstands of all the publishers.  I actually probably prefer this type of collection buy over any other because it's not much work at all, little to no monetary risk, and you'll educate yourself on a ton of titles that you never knew of for the next time.  EG Maybe there's a bunch of Avatar comics in there with value that you never heard of before. 

Thanks, yeah, it's a lot of fun! This era is sorta my bread and butter, buying cheap stuff from the 90's and later, diamonds in the rough! So many great books in this era that have niche fan bases that "mainstream" sellers couldn't bother to look into. For instance, at this point I can't count how many times I've found that Chaos Halloween #1 in a dollar bin and flipped it for $30-$40. Horror fans are as rabid as Star Wars fans, they will show up for this stuff. Chaos isn't my bag personally, but in lots they will sell, no problem. 

Always looking for newsies, but there were none in this collection. Pretty sure the guy had a holds box at his local comic shop, just based on the stuff he was picking up, and not a newsstand in sight. Oh well. The last big score I made was a fun of Star Wars KOTOR that I picked up for $30, which had a ton of newsstands. The auctions closed last night at about $700. So believe me, I am ALWAYS checking those bar codes! ha

But yes, like you said, this is my ideal collection. That's why when he told me the price and the number of books, I didn't try to negotiate or ask many questions. This is also the size that works for me. My last BIG collection was 40 longs, and that just about broke my back as well as my garage. ha So this is MUCH more manageable, on a number of fronts!

On 1/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, spreads said:

The Crossgen stuff and a lot of publishers like them actually have very good reads, and some of them have very rare variant covers.  A lot of the titles you already mentioned: Halloween, Chaos comics....also a lot of the B-C list bad girl comics have niche but collectible markets.  I think you should pull them out by title and go through them, 1500 comics isn't a ton! 

Sight unseen it was a no lose buy....a few years back I bought 11 shorts for about $500 because it had a good run of Spawn.  The rest of the stuff was easy to sell at $50 a short - low risk venture.  You could easily do this with this lot, dump some of the longs in the $40-50 range.  

Also look out for newsstands of all the publishers.  I actually probably prefer this type of collection buy over any other because it's not much work at all, little to no monetary risk, and you'll educate yourself on a ton of titles that you never knew of for the next time.  EG Maybe there's a bunch of Avatar comics in there with value that you never heard of before. 

Oh, and it's funny you mention the Crossgen stuff, because as I was sorting through them, I was tempted to read them. They certainly are PRETTY books, very nicely produced, looks like very strong artwork and coloring. A very professional package. Crossgen was an interesting experiment. I may have to give them a read at some point.

56 minutes ago, ft88 said:

Got a bunch of TSR items and a Monopoly game.  Some posters too if interested in seeing those.

9EF2F391-A3F3-4CA6-80A1-203C4FB3BF4E.jpegE03E58C0-DEFF-43E8-8F7C-3300D2F1C605.jpeg45729C50-7E29-4A50-98D5-105E0D35A60A.jpeg3688300D-CE4F-44F4-BB95-3159EECB4F38.jpeg

9C39AED9-2917-4469-B271-D037FCA0C235.jpeg

love that Marvel Monopoly.. I have one from the 2000s.. it gets played often

Edited by littledoom

3 hours ago, ft88 said:

Got a bunch of TSR items and a Monopoly game.  Some posters too if interested in seeing those.

9EF2F391-A3F3-4CA6-80A1-203C4FB3BF4E.jpegE03E58C0-DEFF-43E8-8F7C-3300D2F1C605.jpeg45729C50-7E29-4A50-98D5-105E0D35A60A.jpeg3688300D-CE4F-44F4-BB95-3159EECB4F38.jpeg

9C39AED9-2917-4469-B271-D037FCA0C235.jpeg

Those TSRs are really cool.  Just got one too, was planning on posting it.  Will tonight. 

I actually have that Monopoly game sealed.  Planning on selling it. 

Patrick 

On 1/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, Beige said:

Response to one of my ads.

Big ol' box of utter drek very,very badly damaged.

I did see a couple of possibilities so I paid the grand sum of $30 and took them.

It would be no exaggeration to say I have just thrown 90% of them in the bin!

I did find a couple of nice books though.

FYI - The Last 30c Star Wars #1 in low grade were $125 USD for 4.0 and $200 USD for 4.5

So for $30 for #1 - #6  (plus the other books) even in rough order - a good result :wishluck:

1.thumb.jpg.f0aa44730b8772cc9076de33d9a3ca72.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.bcfc229b53676936793da13748170370.jpg

This was in it too

Didn't know it was a 'thing' - until someone kindly pointed it out.

Love these boards  - thanks!

CCF22012021_0008.thumb.jpg.9b81529f7951d3a0c85de91f2abceaef.jpg

Got a call from a buddy - Library in the City was having a one-day used book sale.

Drove like a loony to find nobody else there!

Got these for $4 USD TOTAL (yes $4)

The Hardback Spidey had an RRP of $75 USD alone.

Priced at 50c for any book - but they gave me a 'bulk' price on them.

Crazy, but I'll take it all day - and I'll be emailing every one of the 700 libraries in the entire state to see if they do used book sales as well.

Most simply give them away - often to prisoners or immigrants (for learning to read English).

I should feel a bit guilty but I guess my tax $$ paid for them in the first place, so I don't - they set the price, I didn't.

a.thumb.jpg.98c78d0c52c0ac0f004e69a2fe006abc.jpg

12 hours ago, cabinboy said:

Pickup from a Craigslist ad - about 200 comics, mostly Epic/Eclipse and other random mid to late 80s titles.  I missed the best of the bunch when I was looking at the collection - but was pleasantly surprised to see the Raphael jammed into the right side of the box when I got home and took a closer look

IMG_4475.jpg

Nice grab.  I found a copy of that book in a collection years back - and it was beat to $$%$.  It had been lying sideways along a book, I sold it for about $20 many years back.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:04 PM, F For Fake said:

Oh, and it's funny you mention the Crossgen stuff, because as I was sorting through them, I was tempted to read them. They certainly are PRETTY books, very nicely produced, looks like very strong artwork and coloring. A very professional package. Crossgen was an interesting experiment. I may have to give them a read at some point.

So when does the crossgen stuff make an early valiant style come back? Outside of Dragons Lair, the ROb Zombie books, Space Ace, Mystic 15, and maybe the Sojourn Prequel / #1 it doesn't look like any of them get cover price? I remember paying attention to new comics again around 2004 toward the end of crossgen and remembering how attractive the books looked, but I guess after the initial excitement, fanboy speculators settled in their usual ways and decided fantasy comics aren't a good investment vehicle?

22 hours ago, the blob said:

So when does the crossgen stuff make an early valiant style come back? Outside of Dragons Lair, the ROb Zombie books, Space Ace, Mystic 15, and maybe the Sojourn Prequel / #1 it doesn't look like any of them get cover price? I remember paying attention to new comics again around 2004 toward the end of crossgen and remembering how attractive the books looked, but I guess after the initial excitement, fanboy speculators settled in their usual ways and decided fantasy comics aren't a good investment vehicle?

Didn't Disney buy all of that stuff? I'm not sure why they'd ever need to dig into the Crossgen library when they still have SO much to play with in the MCU, but I guess it's not out of the question that they may do something with the IP one day. I guess the smart thing would be to just sit on them, because "who knows", but for the time being the space is worth more to me than the potential down the road. Famous last words, of course. I'm sure I'll come back to this post one day and say "Damn, I gave about 200+ Crossgen books away, and now Ruse is a $1k book", given my luck.

It's funny, and a little frustrating, I thought SURELY, with all of the Crossgen and Chaos stuff in this collection I picked up, those Rob Zombie books, and MAYBE the Dragon's Lair books, would be in there. But nope, not a thing. Just all of the normal CG titles no one wants.

The thing is, Crossgen had a very good stable of talent, the books were very professionally made, they're colorful and very attractive. It was certainly an interesting experiment. Seems like there's a lot of potential there. But I just don't see any real interest from most folks. Valiant, as dire as things got, always had a hardcore crew of fans. I never hear a peep about Crossgen.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Didn't Disney buy all of that stuff? I'm not sure why they'd ever need to dig into the Crossgen library when they still have SO much to play with in the MCU, but I guess it's not out of the question that they may do something with the IP one day. I guess the smart thing would be to just sit on them, because "who knows", but for the time being the space is worth more to me than the potential down the road. Famous last words, of course. I'm sure I'll come back to this post one day and say "Damn, I gave about 200+ Crossgen books away, and now Ruse is a $1k book", given my luck.

It's funny, and a little frustrating, I thought SURELY, with all of the Crossgen and Chaos stuff in this collection I picked up, those Rob Zombie books, and MAYBE the Dragon's Lair books, would be in there. But nope, not a thing. Just all of the normal CG titles no one wants.

The thing is, Crossgen had a very good stable of talent, the books were very professionally made, they're colorful and very attractive. It was certainly an interesting experiment. Seems like there's a lot of potential there. But I just don't see any real interest from most folks. Valiant, as dire as things got, always had a hardcore crew of fans. I never hear a peep about Crossgen.

They probably paid very little. Some of the crossgen titles went 3-4 years. There is a lot of material. But yeah, beautiful books may not = good TV. But its a shame, reading about the corporate shenanigans, they came up with an elaborate structure expecting to lose money until they got TV and other media deals, which did not materialize in time. Kind of putting the cart before the horse. It's not like Indie publishers can't make money or break even, but they walked into this thinking they were already image or darkhorse 

Edited by the blob