• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,807 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2021 at 9:43 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Books are from '86 which from what I kinda know, was a period when distribution of newsstands and direct copies were pretty much 50/50. Maybe they had an overstock of newsstand copies in the warehouse and those were used to fullfill order? I am not sure at all how the process would have went. I do know that the brown envelopes I have seen (a friend had some from when he ordered him X-Men comics back in the 80s), and the copies he received were direct editions. 

Cool little treasures. Keep the envelopes for fun! 

I had subscriptions to ASM, Cap, Avengers, and Nova from 1977-1984.  Mine all came like that in the brown envelopes.  Still have them (the comics, not the envelopes) and for the most part they all arrived in great condition.  Still remember the name of our mailman - Al.  He was a great guy and I think he knew the comics were mine and he must have handled them with some TLC.  Thanks Al wherever you are!

4 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Few more oddballs, most in that $5 to $20 sweet spot.
I’m honestly glad I’m not wired (or heeled) to chase big keys. Frankly, I’d be nervous to own most of the big books. I’m happy just playin’ around with stuff like this.  :x

8773666C-4E72-4930-8AD1-AF9AF1938575.jpeg

That Hoppy the Marvel Bunny promotional comic is a nice find. Comes in both a blue version (which you have), and a red one. Neither is exactly common, but my perception is that the red edition comes up more often. Either way, fun book, and not an everyday encounter. Condition looks relatively good, too. The large size really works against the quality of a lot of surviving copies.

7 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

That Hoppy the Marvel Bunny promotional comic is a nice find. Comes in both a blue version (which you have), and a red one. Neither is exactly common, but my perception is that the red edition comes up more often. Either way, fun book, and not an everyday encounter. Condition looks relatively good, too. The large size really works against the quality of a lot of surviving copies.

Thanks! I have a bunch of the Reed paper toys featuring the Fawcett characters, so it's a natural fit. The Reed toys are warehouse finds, I believe, so relatively common but still really cool to look at. As far as the size being a detriment, you're so right: even this one long held by a collector was sitting in a comic box despite being in a magazine bag and board. Luckily the board was only curled down a bit without crunching the book. 

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Thanks! I have a bunch of the Reed paper toys featuring the Fawcett characters, so it's a natural fit. The Reed toys are warehouse finds, I believe, so relatively common but still really cool to look at. As far as the size being a detriment, you're so right: even this one long held by a collector was sitting in a comic box despite being in a magazine bag and board. Luckily the board was only curled down a bit without crunching the book. 

If you decide to become a collector of Fawcett ephemera... There are a whole BUNCH of "Well Known Comics" promos, for a pretty good swathe of their titles, all in that weird large size. Some are (much!) more common than others. It's generally established they were marketing giveaways. I honestly can't tell you how many, because I've never seen a list that I really believe to be comprehensive. Only a few have been graded (and CGC sort of made a hash out of their treatment of them); no issue has more than a handful slabbed.

For the record, neither the blue nor red Hoppy appears to have been submitted to CGC yet.

35 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Someone went to the toy show!

Yep. Some decent stuff at fair prices (at least I think so!) and way more books at nosebleed prices. There was a guy fall of 2019 who had a whole box of 50's Atlas that I was sad to see not set up.  :juggle:

I long for the day of having a nice flea market/antique mall score. 
I spent the bulk of my Saturday hitting 3x antique malls, 1x flea market, and 3x new comic book stores. 
Finds: Zero. Nada. Zilch. Bubkiss. Nothing.
In sheer frustration, I purchased 5 copies of Punchline 1 from a $1 Bin. lol

But I shall persevere. The amazing finds regularly posted here give me hope!