• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

I'm guessing you can buy for less than 1000

Show them the cash, they've got to take it

With the 450 TPBs (assuming the are actually 120+ page Marvel/DC/Image/Vertigo books) you should be able to make a lot of the money back very quickly.

- the key there is fair market value -

Just because you paid a quarter for the books in bulk - does not mean that they are individually valued at that number. If the books are in decent shape - one could easily use the OPG for value as it is a published standard (which for 90s drek is around cover price).

I think I was dating myself when I called them "quarter books". I wasn't referring to the price you paid, but the kind of books LCS owners throw into the 'dreck box', which when I was a kid, was 25 cents. Which makes FMV on those kind of books "twenty-five cents", not OSPG's "MSRP".

Ultimately, though, we're talking about risk (the dreaded audit) vs reward (the value you declare), and how comfortable you are in staking a position on that line. Which is why I suggest talking to your accountant. I'm not one, I'm just another on the internet (albeit one who has been audited twice), and everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. :)

I'm guessing you can buy for less than 1000

Show them the cash, they've got to take it

With the 450 TPBs (assuming the are actually 120+ page Marvel/DC/Image/Vertigo books) you should be able to make a lot of the money back very quickly.

I would say the issue would be the long term commitment to the buy.

Earlier in the thread - I posted about picking up ~ 30 short boxes from a closing store for a song. Some decent - some dreck - but if I sold at an average of 50c apiece, a good profit margin. Really should do better - as a lot

But the buy was small enough to fit in the truck - and my office, so I did not have to worry about any additional transportation and storage. Then - I look over the books and duplicates - and the concern becomes how in the world do I get rid of 3000 books quickly..... - the CL deal is way more volume.

(stay tuned for the VCC blowout sale, lol )

Maybe 3 years ago. My wife who is an antique dealer and I go the Brimfield MA week long flea market about every two years ago. Put it on your bucket list if you've never gone you won't be sorry. Those of you who have gone will vouch for this. Anyway, we usually fly into Philly a few days before and drive to Brimfield from there. Along the way, we go to Addamstown and other places. We were at Rennigers in Addamstown. The Spy Smasher, Marvel Mystery and Wonder Woman #2 were at the bottom of a pile on a guy's table. He had done a house clean out and had huge piles of paper. I got these as well as 4 BLB's and a 1942 Capt Midnight manual. I spied the Spy Smasher peeking out, then came The Marvel Mystery and then the Wonder Woman. (all same date and month). The Mickey Mouse came by chance. My wife dragged me into an antique doll shop. The lady felt sorry for me and pulled it out of a drawer and sold it to me. The other stuff was from different dealers at Brimfield. The Planet and Scoop were my favorites.

brim07comics_zpse8dea6db.jpg

Maybe 3 years ago. My wife who is an antique dealer and I go the Brimfield MA week long flea market about every two years ago. Put it on your bucket list if you've never gone you won't be sorry. Those of you who have gone will vouch for this. Anyway, we usually fly into Philly a few days before and drive to Brimfield from there. Along the way, we go to Addamstown and other places. We were at Rennigers in Addamstown. The Spy Smasher, Marvel Mystery and Wonder Woman #2 were at the bottom of a pile on a guy's table. He had done a house clean out and had huge piles of paper. I got these as well as 4 BLB's and a 1942 Capt Midnight manual. I spied the Spy Smasher peeking out, then came The Marvel Mystery and then the Wonder Woman. (all same date and month). The Mickey Mouse came by chance. My wife dragged me into an antique doll shop. The lady felt sorry for me and pulled it out of a drawer and sold it to me. The other stuff was from different dealers at Brimfield. The Planet and Scoop were my favorites.

brim07comics_zpse8dea6db.jpg

I am about a half hour or so from Adamstown as Morphy's Auctions is my favorite auction house.

I go to Brimfield every year; sometimes more! (thumbs u

Yeah, you lucky dog! I've gotta travel a bit to get there. Always worth it. Been to Rennigers, Black Angus ect as well as Kutztown many times. Ever come out this way? We can go to a large flea market every weekend all year round. The stuff isn't as old and historic but pleanty of what I look for. Portland Expo in OR is also great especially in July!

I just pulled this box out of a dumpster with a bunch of other people threw out after cleaning out a garage or shop. Box is hammered. I will post pics when I go through it.

IMG_9203_zps0abed88d.jpg

JUST DONT TURN THE BURNERS ON!

Ooooh! Please do! I love dumpster diving and did it myself a couple of days ago with a little minor sucess. Those old fuddyduddy guys over in Gold would never do that. Just joking!

I just pulled this box out of a dumpster with a bunch of other people threw out after cleaning out a garage or shop. Box is hammered. I will post pics when I go through it.

IMG_9203_zps0abed88d.jpg

Tease!!! :pullhair:

Hopefully, he's checked that it contains comics and isn't some varmint's final resting place!

:eek:

Hopefully, he's checked that it contains comics and isn't some varmint's final resting place!

:eek:

:wishluck:

Excellent point.

OK I pulled everything out and I am presently surprised.

A lot of stuff from the early to mid 90's, so not much there.

BUT a ton of vintage Man-Thing, some Hulk, Green Lantern, ect.

The good news is that everything is mostly bagged, the bad news none of the Man-Thing is boarded so some has gotten some abuse over the years, but in my non professional opinion the comics are in great shape. Mostly spine roll but they look to be in grades maybe 8.0-9.0?

IMG_9207_zpse6e7e3cf.jpg

IMG_9208_zps589d9764.jpg

IMG_9209_zpsefc7bc44.jpg

IMG_9210_zps932a18b0.jpg

IMG_9211_zpsaa39a6a6.jpg

IMG_9212_zps8ca3b00b.jpg

IMG_9213_zpsfc44d821.jpg

IMG_9214_zpsd4789366.jpg

IMG_9215_zpse41dc9f9.jpg

IMG_9216_zps0e7fcd5c.jpg

IMG_9217_zps85a39cec.jpg

IMG_9218_zpsb4386be8.jpg