• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

Although this was picked up at a small local con, I thought Id show off a bit...

.25, haggled down from .50.....

image.jpeg

It was like finding a Golden Ticket!!!!

:banana:

I understand getting a deal. i believe as a seller, you should know what you have too. but to find a book like this for peanuts, and then STILL want a better deal is pretty foul.

Why is it assumed that it's the responsibility of the buyer to educate the seller? As a seller, if you can't take the time to educate yourself about what you're selling (internet makes it so easy!), then you've kind of 'made your own bed' on that one...

Although this was picked up at a small local con, I thought Id show off a bit...

image.jpeg

I understand getting a deal. i believe as a seller, you should know what you have too. but to find a book like this for peanuts, and then STILL want a better deal is pretty foul.

Why is it assumed that it's the responsibility of the buyer to educate the seller? As a seller, if you can't take the time to educate yourself about what you're selling (internet makes it so easy!), then you've kind of 'made your own bed' on that one...

If only there was some source that a person could go to to get a description and potential value of nearly any item in the world. If only it was free and available to anyone willing to put in the time to look for information on an item they own and choose to sell at a price which they also choose.

image.jpeg

If only there was some source that a person could go to to get a description and potential value of nearly any item in the world. If only it was free and available to anyone willing to put in the time to look for information on an item they own and choose to sell at a price which they also choose.

It's not technically 'free'

image.jpeg

Libraries are free and open at least two hours a day at least three days a week now in America.

image.jpeg

Libraries are free and open at least two hours a day at least three days a week now in America.

Because you don't pay for it doesn't make it free :foryou:

image.jpeg

Because you don't pay for it doesn't make it free :foryou:

That's deep

Tinstaafl as they said in my high school econ

image.jpeg

???

Who said anything about him educating the seller? All the comments are saying that the buyer knew the book he found, but wanted to save a quarter. That has nothing to do with telling the seller the book should be priced higher. Just pay the .50 and move on.

Couple of thoughts on this

1. Maybe he worked out an agreement before finding this? I've had some luck offering to buy x amount if they work out a deal. A lot of sellers want the space back more than they want full price and a large volume sale is appealing.

2. If this were bought to resell and you track ROI by percentage, cutting the purchase price in half sure makes that ending percentage look awesome.

Edited by tmcneil82

image.jpeg

Just curious - why did you haggle this down?

image.jpeg

(tsk)

The fact that this was sold at a local con presumably by a dealer, that doesn't know his inventory is not on the buyer. While I generally agree with your comment the he could have paid the .50 bottom line is if the seller is happy with what he got no harm no foul.

Good looking out by the buyer IMO to notice this book in with the dreck.

FTR - I've hit up some garage sales where I've gone out of my way to inform the seller that they had books with significant value and ponied up some extra cash for them. They were appreciative of this but some actually refused and said they are happy with what they were asking and just wanted to be rid of them.

Let's be happy for this guy who found a diamond in the rough.

Spent all Saturday traveling to see different collections. Left the house at (9:30 got home at 5:30)

1st collection was a huge Star Wars collection. Son dies leaving 15 boxes of toys and a few comics.

While the person had been collecting since the late 70's it was almost all either recent junk or they wanted to much for it. Spent 2 hours in a hot storage shed with nothing to take home. :(

2nd stop was a flea market full of junk. Nothing :(

3rd stop was hours way out in the middle of nowhere. House ran on generators some rooms had no air conditioning in 100 degree weather.

Comic boxes smelled like cat pee. Looked through about 3-4 thousand books of 90's dealer overstock. But finally toward the end found a single copy of Batman Adventures 12 for $100 (strong 9.8 possibility), picked up another $50 dollars of a few other minor books, some 70's horror and a little bit of Valiant.

Made the entire day! :):)

Edited by Rip

Comic is good :)

Most of the comics were bagged and boarded. Was afraid to open anything because room was so hot I would have dripped sweat on them.

One other interesting thing was she had about 30-40 copies of Scooby Doo 1 Archie from 1995. Thinking about making an offer at $3 bucks each.

Edited by Rip

Doesn't seem like an issue of a buyer educating a seller. Clearly the seller didn't know what he had. That has nothing to do with haggling a 50 cent item down to 25 cents.

Reads to me like a slap in the face.

Yeah, me too. You don't want to know what I would tell him.

Here's a similar story. I was set up at a flea market with a bunch of stuff. Had a box of SA and BA lower grade Marvel's and DC's graded and priced at guide that I was selling for true half off.

A young guy came up, searched the boxes carefully and pulled out a "movie" book I had forgotton about. It was priced like $14. and I grimaced and told him seven. It was probably a $40-50 book at the time. He then proceeds to offer me four. I looked at him and took it back and threw it on the car seat. "No longer for sale" I told him. He whined and asked why? I proceeded to educate him and told him "When someone offers you a steal take it and run". Hard life lesson. He whimpered and slunk away. I promptly remarked when I got home. I would have taken my lumps but I just hate lowballers...

Another time, I tore a book in half, handed it to another whiner and said Merry Christmas. The look on his little red face was worth it 10 times over.

Like I said, I hate lowballers, especially the ones who brag about it...

Like I said, I hate lowballers, especially the ones who brag about it...

Unfortunately it has become the norm. The value of most books is BS. Everyone believes they should be able to buy and pennies on the dollar. If everyone can find the books for a dollar then how are they worth $20,$30,$40... I will use my books as kindling before I give them away.