• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,805 posts in this topic

Fascinating find at an auction - grabbed 200 odd comics (Walt Disney, Mandrake, Phantom, Tracy etc) then found this - Ben Bowyang #1 from 1937

Beat up with no staples, but very rare indeed.

I would slab it, but the shape will not allow it - price - $37 inc 3 other 1940's comics in the lot.

CCF22042017.thumb.jpg.4dde4a8776739137009362d311c96df4.jpg

12 minutes ago, Beige said:

Fascinating find at an auction - grabbed 200 odd comics (Walt Disney, Mandrake, Phantom, Tracy etc) then found this - Ben Bowyang #1 from 1937

I would slab it, but the shape will not allow it - price - $37 inc 3 other 1940's comics in the lot.

Nice!

1 hour ago, Beige said:

Ah, Ben Bowyang. I remember the strip being in the Melbourne Herald in the 1960s and 70s. By then it had become Old Ben Bowyang, if memory serves. There were several Aussie strips on the comics page - Bluey and Curley, Wally and the Major and possibly others I'll think of later. Interesting that the Herald was pumping out reprint editions as early as 1939.

I just checked out the Wikipedia page for the strip. It says it finished up in 1979, which seems about right. But it also says it started in 1939, while your reprint collection is from 1937. And the National Library has this one from 1934.

Edited by AJD

Yeah the HS was all over the place for strip compilations in the 1930's.

I tend to use Ausreprints as a guide - interestingly they only did #1 and #2

https://ausreprints.net/series/6508

If you remember I bought some OA from Peter Russell-Clarke last year - who, as you know, drew Ben Bowyang up to 1973!

Delighted to have both items.

On 4/21/2017 at 11:01 PM, Beige said:

The only Australian comics I ever see here in the US is Footrot Flats.   I think I have found a good 15-20 or so books over the years.

Haven't had much luck since I bought the Spidey collection with the X-Men 1 back in October, though I have been busy and haven't been advertising much. A guy did contact me recently with this small batch for sale. Didn't even bother to make an offer because I know we're not going to be in the same ballpark. Says the same thing you hear 100s of times: they bothered to look them all up in a price guide and there were some worth over $500, yet they didn't think to put them to the side so they can identify them later. I feel like the Supergirl tryout and the ASM Annual 1 are the best of the bunch. He says one of the sci-fi books is the $500+ one. Anyone seeing anything I am missing? 

xo3ruRb.jpg

S1FjrXd.jpg

nD1wOz6.jpg

F3qdMxh.jpg

An interesting haul!

Your pictures are a bid hard for me to view but just looking at the "unusual", older books, I think he might be talking about the "Strange Tales Of The Unusual" #5 which is listed in Overstreet #46 as NM-  for $410, GD $31.

There is also:

Journey Into Unknown Worlds #42  NM- $375,  GD $28

Tom Corbett Space Cadet #10 NM- $125,  GD $7

Astonishing #48 NM- $300,  GD $22

Astonishing #63 NM- $310,  GD $23

There might be other items but these 5 caught my interest/eye.  Hope this has helped!

5 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Thank you. Can't really tell about condition with these photos but I'm sure they're rough. He sent close ups of a few, notably the Superman 123, and it's probably a 2.0 at best. Can't imagine the rest are much better. 

The Superman 123 is a 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 at best

On 4/19/2017 at 11:32 PM, jsilverjanet said:

you had me at "weird adult titles.."

Well, for the most part it has turned out to be what you'd expect: large doses of Image and Valiant (though all in nice shape and not much duplication), but yeah, there are several adult titles. Some Tim Vigil stuff, some Eros Mangerotica, some nude covers, etc. I'll probably put up a sale thread in a week or two to try to blow some of the stuff out.  So if you're looking for weird, cheap pervy books, I've got what ya need! ;)

On 4/17/2017 at 4:11 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Nice! I think i would have kept it. At least for a little while, but that's just me. Do you have a pic?

Somehow my older brother managed to grab possession of the WW II japanese officer's sword my uncle gave my father (my father fought in the pacific, my uncle never made it into combat due to a basic training injury, but was then in the state department for 35 years)..he frigging uses it to cut brush by his house and as a toy

3 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Nice finds!

As for the Wolverine #1 being "still sealed": is it a newer reprint/giveaway of some sort? If not, then the sealed poly-bag is most likely an aftermarket, home brew job...

Thank you sir!

Not sure why it was sealed. I cut that baby open as soon as I got home though.