• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Beige said:

Glory Hole Hotel....   :roflmao:

Ha, my eyes INSTANTLY went there as well. Glad I'm not the only perv.

A neighbor of mine was moving a few weeks ago and piled all kinds of magazines and stuff by the dumpster and I saw this sticking out and had to take it, I love this cover. There were some 90s archies there too which I kind of regret not taking.

cp.JPG

4 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

Wait a minute.  That keytag ACTUALLY says Glory Hole.  I thought you guys were joking around!lol

I think you'll find that I NEVER joke about Glory Holes.

Had a fun weekend, spent way too much money. As I live in Louisville, the weekend of the Kentucky Derby turns the city into a madhouse, so we generally get out of dodge. I hadn't planned on doing much buying this weekend, but it seems like the deals found me.

First up, a stop at Half Price Books yielded this brand spankin' new Hot Toys Civil War Cap for only $150, plus a 10% off coupon. I sorta stopped buying HT Marvel figures (there's just too many of them) but at that price I couldn't pass him up.

Next up, I stopped by a second book/music shop with the intention of buying a used PS2 controller.  It had been several months (or more) since I'd been in town, and the last time I was at this particular shop, they didn't have much in the way of comics. So imagine my surprise when I found that not only did they have new and used comics, but it was also Free Comic Book Day, so all back issues were half off! Picked up some super sharp copies of Wolverine #1 (should be slam dunk 9.8's) as well as a bunch of random stuff for my collection,  including some super nice Wolvie newsstands, some Image newsstands filler issues etc. Went in planning to spend about $15 on a controller, walked out with $200+ of comics. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

But the biggest surprise was saved for last: on the way home Sunday, we always pass through a very small town, an I'll usually pop in their peddler's mall. 99% of the time it's exactly what you'd expect: absolute garbage. But a couple of years ago I found a NM98 there for cover price, so I keep coming back.

And I'm glad I did! I found that they have a comic vendor set up now, and I ended up spending about $300, which is the most I have ever spent in a Peddler's Mall, probably in my lifetime combined. Most of the cash went towards a huge stack of Batman newsstands in beautiful NM shape, as well as a massive run of Adam Hughes Catwoman books, all of these for less than cover price. This included a super sweet, probably 9.8 run of Jim Lee Batman Newsstands (I'll post better scans of these and the Wolvies over in the "This Week in Your Collection" thread) as well as random stuff like a very sharp complete set of John Byrne's Jack Kirby's Fourth World, and much more. I was gobsmacked.

Also picked up a couple of random action figures.

There's a lot more than what is shown here, but I'm now broke and quite pleased!

Photo May 08, 9 18 30 PM.jpg

Photo May 08, 9 19 19 PM.jpg

Photo May 08, 9 21 44 PM.jpg

Photo May 08, 9 23 06 PM.jpg

Photo May 08, 9 25 19 PM.jpg

Photo May 08, 9 26 27 PM.jpg

Photo May 08, 9 27 21 PM (1).jpg

Photo May 07, 11 29 11 PM.jpg

Photo May 07, 11 27 11 PM.jpg

Photo May 07, 11 28 28 PM.jpg

Picked this up at a flea market yesterday.

I wish it was a spinner rack, but I'm still pleased with it as I only paid $20.

I am not too familiar with Asterix, but apparently he is extremely popular in Europe.  Also, based on the size of the pockets, I assume that Asterix is a magazine size comic.

I'm not sure how old this rack is, but I'm guessing it's from between the 1960s and 1980s. Any information you have would be appreciated! Thanks!

asterix1_zpsoqrxexw3.jpg

asterix3_zpsbeqpij2h.jpg

asterix2_zpsics5b11c.jpg

3 hours ago, The Kaptain said:

he is extremely popular in Europe.

It is very possible that the rack comes from Canada. Astérix et Obélix comic is extremely popular in French Canada, there is even a theme park. I searched the distributor and it confirms that the rack comes from Québec. If you have never read the comic, it is great!

Asterix is presented in large squarebound hardcovers.  Most of the French and Belgian books are printed that way.

That distributor started in 1992, so the rack isn't ancient, but I can see it getting attention here.

Thanks for all the info!  There were a lot of dealers from Quebec at the flea market, so that must be where it's from. 

My OCD is telling me that I now need to buy 6 copies of Asterix just to fill it up....

1 minute ago, The Kaptain said:

Thanks for all the info!  There were a lot of dealers from Quebec at the flea market, so that must be where it's from. 

My OCD is telling me that I now need to buy 6 copies of Asterix just to fill it up....

(thumbsu You won't regret it! 

I really wish my account merge would go through, but in the meantime --

In short, my wife runs an E-bay store and is always at auctions and estate sales to find cool stuff to resell.

We shy away from the collectible market, it's just too finicky. :grin:  However, she makes a killing selling parts, be it appliances, electronics, and all kinds of things that break. Linens, cross-stitch kits, and all kinds of odds and ends. She loves buying carloads of box lots, which while I may raise an eyebrow at quite a few things, she's never wrong and makes 300%+ profit on many many things. So, combine that with the fact that she has never ever given me any grief over my comic collecting and guitar addiction, I won't ever say a word to her about it.

So, last weekend she texts me from the auction with one pic of an early Vampirella mag, and says they have a whole paper box of them, should she get them.... well, duh. So this was most of what was in the box she bid up and won for a whopping $47 --

vamps1.thumb.jpg.a4b49ff86ccd289af756a9144cca1b10.jpg

There was also a box of Mad magazines.. at first she said late 70's....turned out later they were mostly late 60's. That box went for $68, and she stopped bidding because she could just tell the other guy wanted them more and would have kept bidding them up.

We don't come across stuff like this out here in the country too often, so it was a nice surprise!

I have no tips to offer, even for my state of NJ. I look but so far nada except craigslist! I'll keep pounding those bushes though.

Yesterday I stayed home to stew in my anger and went to an estate sale 30 minutes away. Nice condition comics in the pics but priced at retail (or above) when I got there. So I asked about the MAD magazines and was told that they were $5 each, so I left. I was considering going back at the end today to try and lowball but it really isn't worth it. Hulk 142 at $15 is an example of the pricing, and it was not NM.