• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I have bought once a collection like that. If you start going down a rathole with what books are in it, you will very very quickly explode the value.

Here is my absolute piece of advice. DO NOT CHERRY PICK. Take them all. Have a maximum number in your head - that number should be the absolute most you can get if you bought the collection and simply donated it for a tax write off. Do not go above that number. If you take all 40,000 books, 30,000 will be drek. Be prepared for that. Also, do you have a place to put 120 long boxes? That's a lot more than you think. Just as a point of reference, 30 long boxes fit in a minivan. 120 long is four minivans full. Remember that.

Very exciting though. 40,000 books is an amazing find. You may want to ask if you can pay on time - that's what I did when I found mine. That allows you to get books slabbed and flip to make your monthly payment. We did $80K in seven months. Was a lot of work, but now I'm sitting on pure profit.

Great advice 

Went to an estate sale after seeing a pic of a Amiga 2000. Sadly that was gone. But did see this and picked it up. Not sure what to do with it but i cohld not leave it. Its 15-18ft long cardboard standee. I assume from a theatre but i have not researched.

20170603_130250_zpsehkzi4uk.jpg

Also picked up a Omni treadmill for VR. Not sure what to do with that either but couldn't pass.

Got a find story , few months old . Meant to post when I did the transaction but just forgot.

Few months ago , friend of a friend who knows I collect comics calls me up and ask if I have an interest in buying a bunch of COMIC books. He is a real estate broker and selling a house for someone. They left behind a bunch of comics and just want them gone so they can sell the house . i say sure and we set a date to go look. I see 8 small boxes of comics. Look through and it seems to be early 90's marvel , DC and independent.  So I ask how much do they want . Broker  calls them up (they are already in another state) and they say $50 as long as you take it all. Leave nothing.  So I do. Get home and its runs of Spiderman 300's Xmen 90's books. Web of Spiderman . Spectacular Spideman etc . But as I go through I find some goodies. First one is ASM 361 , that pays for the $50 . Find multiple copies of Deadpools 2nd App , Multiple copies of death of superman books. Spawn # 1 . About 20 copies of Xforce # 1 lol .  And other decent stuff . Figure 500-800 books.   Some pics below. Also found 2 bagged GIJoe comics. 3 books in each bag. Not sure what this is or any value.  Again my first attempt at buying and selling. 

2017-06-03 19.45.42.jpg

2017-06-03 19.45.47.jpg

2017-06-03 19.47.11.jpg

2017-06-03 19.48.03.jpg

2017-06-03 19.50.51.jpg

2017-06-03 19.52.14.jpg

2017-06-03 19.55.20.jpg

2017-06-03 19.57.36.jpg

2017-06-03 20.03.27.jpg

2017-06-03 20.07.41.jpg

2017-06-03 20.08.20.jpg

6 minutes ago, bellrules said:

I was happier about the JLA 179, Flash 286 and Legion 264 Whitman variants. I can't resist sealed packs and the Young Men 5 was only 4.00. How could I say no to that?

I only noticed the Whitman afterwords,very cool.

Any chance the YM is a Canadian ed?

46 minutes ago, Bird said:

Nice haul spidervacc! Who leaves behind NFL SuperPro? :sumo:

Yeah I understand leaving behind ASM 361 but not nfl super pro.

The kind of sad part was a few weeks later I ran into broker and asked why the seller didn't want the book and was told that it was the house owners sons books.  Was away at college. Sounded like mom sold the books without even telling the kid.  Sounds like when my mom threw away all my baseball cards.

45 minutes ago, spidrvacc said:

Yeah I understand leaving behind ASM 361 but not nfl super pro.

The kind of sad part was a few weeks later I ran into broker and asked why the seller didn't want the book and was told that it was the house owners sons books.  Was away at college. Sounded like mom sold the books without even telling the kid.  Sounds like when my mom threw away all my baseball cards.

My mom threw out any black concert tee shorts. You would go to the show, buy a shirt and never see it again. "It's must be in the wash" she would say. Took my brother and I years before we figured that out. Then I had to get white or in the case of the RUSH Signals tour, olive green. Those were no problem but she equated black concert tees with burnouts. (That was what we called stoners back in the day.)

You can fit about 80 long boxes in a big cargo van which is pretty cheap to rent for a weekend.  I ended up renting a small storage unit and was able to get rid of it within 3 months since I donated a bunch and was able to set up shelves in the basement for the rest.  After buying a 80 long box collection comprised of 90% drek I'd recommend to my myself not to do it.  I made pretty good money all in all but the amount of work necessary would be better spent elsewhere.  I only paid $20 a long box and even that was way too much considering all the work necessary to move that much 90s drek.  Hope yours is more like a collection and not store overstock but when you are talking about 120 long boxes you have to assume the worse.

27 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You can fit about 80 long boxes in a big cargo van which is pretty cheap to rent for a weekend.  I ended up renting a small storage unit and was able to get rid of it within 3 months since I donated a bunch and was able to set up shelves in the basement for the rest.  After buying a 80 long box collection comprised of 90% drek I'd recommend to my myself not to do it.  I made pretty good money all in all but the amount of work necessary would be better spent elsewhere.  I only paid $20 a long box and even that was way too much considering all the work necessary to move that much 90s drek.  Hope yours is more like a collection and not store overstock but when you are talking about 120 long boxes you have to assume the worse.

For the amount of storing books for 3 months you could buy a house in Detroit and lock all the books there 

That was intense!  I stumbled upon a guy who was closing up a store and was doing a huge sale in my area.  He wasn't interested in selling the collection as a whole so I cherry picked what he had and was shocked at all the books he still had in storage.  The bags were so old they practically melted together but the books are in great shape.  His bulk deals were so good I practically grabbed whole stacks and filled a long box.  I've got his number and hopefully we can cement a bigger deal later!

IMG_3877.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG