• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,840 posts in this topic

There was one where the guy on the phone told me he had over 300 comics that belonged to his uncle. He said no one had seen the comics yet and I'd be the first one. So I made the 1+ hour drive on a Thursday night. When I get there he had the comics about 30 of them on the kitchen table. All are copper books all priced $5 or greater none are of any major characters. I ask where the rest are and he brings out another 25-30 more books and that his sister had sold some earlier that evening.

I would have not bothered to go out there if I knew it was only 50 books.

There was another where I messaged another CL ad and he sent me pictures of books he "had" (key word here)

in the pics he had old man Logan books, infinity gauntlet etc - total of 2,000 comics he said - $2 each or $1 each if you took 50

so I went late in not the greatest neighborhood 

go up to the apartment and find 2 boxes (regular boxes) of modern comics (about 200 total) complete runs but nothing special. I asked where the books he sent in the pictures he sent me , he said oh I sold those weeks ago 

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

There was another where I messaged another CL ad and he sent me pictures of books he "had" (key word here)

in the pics he had old man Logan books, infinity gauntlet etc - total of 2,000 comics he said - $2 each or $1 each if you took 50

so I went late in not the greatest neighborhood 

go up to the apartment and find 2 boxes (regular boxes) of modern comics (about 200 total) complete runs but nothing special. I asked where the books he sent in the pictures he sent me , he said oh I sold those weeks ago 

Man that sucks.

On 5/13/2017 at 9:16 PM, jsilverjanet said:

found this at an estate pre-sale - most of the better books had been already taken but someone left this behind

D2ACAA68-9B5F-41EE-BE90-10FB1218C006_zps

This was a pre sale, I was the 4th buyer through the 27 long boxes. 4 days after the first buyer. Many of the copper/modern keys weren't there anymore but I still found this. This came back 9.8. The last one sold for $1695+

You don't always have to be the first in line to score the biggest win 

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

This was a pre sale, I was the 4th buyer through the 27 long boxes. Many of the copper/modern keys weren't there anymore but I still found this. This came back 9.8. The last one sold for $1695+

You don't always have to be the first in line to score the biggest win 

Knowing what to look for is another key aspect of research, especially in the current market. That is something else that would seem insurmountable to me in looking for collections.

I would know some hot items, but probably the more generic, trendy etc.-- to catch something that is not recalled by collectors that do this all the time would prove difficult.

Guess it pays to read the Modern Forum to stay on top of what things go for and get used to looking for that stuff and start small till you know the FMV, your budget, and  lol a whole list of other factors.....

I've been tempted because it seems I live in an area where there are 5 garage sales in my area any given weekend. I always see the signs when going to the grocery store, gas station etc. I've followed through to some to no avail. If I ever got serious, in the back of my mind, I know me living in a place like Dallas TX that the stress and hurry would suck the fun out of collecting. Maybe if I had someone to pal around with to help in the hunt? but then again you have to share the loot!!! sigh 

9 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I was almost killed by comic books today.  Not exaggerating one bit.  I went back to the antique store to take one last look and see if I could work out a $40 long box deal for maybe 20 long boxes of the best stuff left since I knew I left some decent books in the boxes.  He must have had a change of heart since he didn't seem in any hurry to make a deal today.  I think he wanted to try out a couple Cons and didn't want everything picked.  Oh well - went to work double checking the boxes to see if I wanted anything else before taking it off the list.  Was working on flipping thru some of the long boxes on the end shelves and disaster happened!

He told me to be carefully of the end shelves the 1st day since they were wobbly and a couple boxes had kind of pinned him.  The shelving looked a little rickity but he had interconnected a bunch of them so it felt sturdy when I was moved my around boxes.  I had turned my back and was searching thru it and heard a kind of cracking sound and the end shelf was tipping kind of toward my shoulder.  I pinned it back up and yelled for help since I felt it was a heavy load pushing down - more then a couple long boxes of weight.  The owner came running over and tried to push the shelf with me but you could tell the leg had snapped or something.  I gave it one last push up and saw the other shelves start to topple.  Thankfully the guy grabbed my shoulder and helped get me out of the way since the one shelf was kind of on my shoulder at this point.  

We watched in horror as one shelf toppled another and another.  Ever seen 200 long boxes of books and magazines come toppling down?  Not a pretty sight.  Here is what we ended up with:imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

IMG_3898.JPG

Glad you weren't hurt.

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

There was one where the guy on the phone told me he had over 300 comics that belonged to his uncle. He said no one had seen the comics yet and I'd be the first one. So I made the 1+ hour drive on a Thursday night. When I get there he had the comics about 30 of them on the kitchen table. All are copper books all priced $5 or greater none are of any major characters. I ask where the rest are and he brings out another 25-30 more books and that his sister had sold some earlier that evening.

I would have not bothered to go out there if I knew it was only 50 books.

I feel ya.  I went about 20 mile to as yard sale, that I had emailed the night before asking what kind, how many, and how much to be answered they are 60's and 70's only to get there and only find around 7 books.  Frustrating.

11 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I was almost killed by comic books today.  Not exaggerating one bit.  I went back to the antique store to take one last look and see if I could work out a $40 long box deal for maybe 20 long boxes of the best stuff left since I knew I left some decent books in the boxes.  He must have had a change of heart since he didn't seem in any hurry to make a deal today.  I think he wanted to try out a couple Cons and didn't want everything picked.  Oh well - went to work double checking the boxes to see if I wanted anything else before taking it off the list.  Was working on flipping thru some of the long boxes on the end shelves and disaster happened!

He told me to be carefully of the end shelves the 1st day since they were wobbly and a couple boxes had kind of pinned him.  The shelving looked a little rickity but he had interconnected a bunch of them so it felt sturdy when I was moved my around boxes.  I had turned my back and was searching thru it and heard a kind of cracking sound and the end shelf was tipping kind of toward my shoulder.  I pinned it back up and yelled for help since I felt it was a heavy load pushing down - more then a couple long boxes of weight.  The owner came running over and tried to push the shelf with me but you could tell the leg had snapped or something.  I gave it one last push up and saw the other shelves start to topple.  Thankfully the guy grabbed my shoulder and helped get me out of the way since the one shelf was kind of on my shoulder at this point.  

We watched in horror as one shelf toppled another and another.  Ever seen 200 long boxes of books and magazines come toppling down?  Not a pretty sight.  Here is what we ended up with:imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

IMG_3898.JPG

Glad to hear you made it out ok. Here's a semi related story. One day I was in a Borders store, and there was this kind of heavy little kid with his friends, and he was climbing one of the graphic novel shelves to

get to  a book that was somewhere near the top. I told the kid, you better be careful, look -- what do you want, I"ll get it for you. He says, no it's ok, I got it. Ok, so i turn around and a moment or two later, I hear a big boom.

Sure and sure enough, the whole stack of shelves came tumbling down. Kids dad comes over and yells at him, and they are all out the door without doing anything to clean up the mess.

Edited by bronze_rules

2 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Glad to hear you made it out ok. Here's a semi related story. One day I was in a Borders store, and there was this kind of heavy little kid with his friends, and he was climbing one of the graphic novel shelves to

get to  a book that was somewhere near the top. I told the kid, you better be careful, look -- what do you want, I"ll get it for you. He says, no it's ok, I got it. Ok, so i turn around and a moment or two later, I hear a big boom.

Sure and sure enough, the whole stack of shelves came tumbling down. Kids dad comes over and yells at him, and they are all out the door without doing anything to clean up the mess.

Great parenting, you should have tossed the kid a candy bar in front of the dad.  ;)

I just got a small batch of books, four longboxes, big runs of vertigo/dc popular titles like Sandman/Hellblazer (that will be subbed into my collection).  On average the condition of these comics is the best I've seen in any lots I've purchased, many NM/NM+. 

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

7 hours ago, bellrules said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bHad a successful day today, a bunch of Blossom appearances, DCU and Can price variants.

IMG_2322.JPG

The BV320 is one of my books that I need to find in the wild one day. congrats!

17 hours ago, 1Cool said:

IMG_3898.JPG

Holy Cow!! :whatthe:

Glad you made it out unscathed!

I don't know about anyone else, but the sight of those longboxes like strewn all over would make me want to start digging through them even more! :grin:

4 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Saw this Craigslist advertisement:

1.thumb.jpg.391c0e20044c4779590f0a782fe80f37.jpg

Got there and saw this:

IMG_20170618_131752781.thumb.jpg.8e7c48e3fb32a81829a653c54cb41b41.jpg

Asked about the Warrior book and they said they had a pallet of them.

A pallet.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the significance of the Eternal Warrior comic?

10 hours ago, spreads said:

Great parenting, you should have tossed the kid a candy bar in front of the dad.  ;)

I just got a small batch of books, four longboxes, big runs of vertigo/dc popular titles like Sandman/Hellblazer (that will be subbed into my collection).  On average the condition of these comics is the best I've seen in any lots I've purchased, many NM/NM+. 

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

Was that in Gatineau?  I missed out on a similar collection because I was helping a buddy dismantle and transport a play structure for his kids... :S