• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,806 posts in this topic

Hey hey hey! Hoarding? I bought 2/$1! (I sold a Deathmate set a while ago and was surprised that it sold so I try to get some sets. Red is tough one for me to find.)

Well, I've been picking them up for years, as, like I said, I'm a big Gen 13 fan. So if I find them in NM+ to NM/Mint for $1 or less, yeah, I buy 'em. No intention of flipping them, just enjoy having them.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Hey hey hey! Hoarding? I bought 2/$1! (I sold a Deathmate set a while ago and was surprised that it sold so I try to get some sets. Red is tough one for me to find.)

I think the red one was like 6 months late. Crazy how many delays there was back then.

59 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I think the red one was like 6 months late. Crazy how many delays there was back then.

I have a few copies of the gold because if anything comes from Gen13 that will be the book to have value.....Deathmate was just so terrible all-around, and almost every over-priced copper/modern collection for sale has some!

Edited by spreads

2 minutes ago, spreads said:

I have a few copies of the gold because if anything comes from Gen13 that will be the book to have value.....Deathmate was just so all-around, and almost every over-priced copper/modern collection for sale has some!

Yeah I run across them all the time. Black and Red less than the others. I found a Darker Image Gold a few months back but still haven't found a Deathmate Black Gold. I would probably hang onto one of those

Found a few goodies at a garage sale this weekend. More filler for runs than stand alone books, but whatever. Plus I can't pass up twelve cent Marvels for a buck each even if they are beaters.

Posting moreso to congratulate 1Cool on his recent scores! Love old store backstock!

I guess it's generally a waste of time to try to look for comics on Craigslist in my area. A yard sale listed they had comics for sale, so I made the trek there and arrived right at the time the sale was supposed to begin. No comics visible so I asked for them and was told they were gone. Obviously someone contacted them in advance and they sold them beforehand. I was thrilled to have wasted my time.

:tonofbricks: 

i went to garage sales last week. Neither of them were open despite their ads

its a gamble for every one score there are a dozen bad ones. I'm sure if there was a thread where we only posted the bad leads/no deal made the thread would be 3-5 times greater

gotta keep going, you'll never know when the next one is the score you've been looking for 

2 hours ago, Brother J said:

I guess it's generally a waste of time to try to look for comics on Craigslist in my area. A yard sale listed they had comics for sale, so I made the trek there and arrived right at the time the sale was supposed to begin. No comics visible so I asked for them and was told they were gone. Obviously someone contacted them in advance and they sold them beforehand. I was thrilled to have wasted my time.

I've pretty much given up for the same reason. People can be really aggressive about comics/collectibles these days. I always get up extra early to attend...but that can't beat the big shots that have been calling and emailing and making presumably more enticing offers to buy everything. :cry:

If there are any scores left...they'd probably be found at garage sales that did not advertise.

I was almost killed by comic books today.  Not exaggerating one bit.  I went back to the antique store to take one last look and see if I could work out a $40 long box deal for maybe 20 long boxes of the best stuff left since I knew I left some decent books in the boxes.  He must have had a change of heart since he didn't seem in any hurry to make a deal today.  I think he wanted to try out a couple Cons and didn't want everything picked.  Oh well - went to work double checking the boxes to see if I wanted anything else before taking it off the list.  Was working on flipping thru some of the long boxes on the end shelves and disaster happened!

He told me to be carefully of the end shelves the 1st day since they were wobbly and a couple boxes had kind of pinned him.  The shelving looked a little rickity but he had interconnected a bunch of them so it felt sturdy when I was moved my around boxes.  I had turned my back and was searching thru it and heard a kind of cracking sound and the end shelf was tipping kind of toward my shoulder.  I pinned it back up and yelled for help since I felt it was a heavy load pushing down - more then a couple long boxes of weight.  The owner came running over and tried to push the shelf with me but you could tell the leg had snapped or something.  I gave it one last push up and saw the other shelves start to topple.  Thankfully the guy grabbed my shoulder and helped get me out of the way since the one shelf was kind of on my shoulder at this point.  

We watched in horror as one shelf toppled another and another.  Ever seen 200 long boxes of books and magazines come toppling down?  Not a pretty sight.  Here is what we ended up with:imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

IMG_3898.JPG

Edited by 1Cool

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I was almost killed by comic books today.  Not exaggerating one bit.  I went back to the antique store to take one last look and see if I could work out a $40 long box deal for maybe 20 long boxes of the best stuff left since I knew I left some decent books in the boxes.  He must have had a change of mind since his desire to work out deals was not there today.  I think he wanted to try out a couple Cons and didn't want everything picked.  Oh well - went to work double checking the boxes to see if I wanted anything else before making it off the mental list.  Was working on flipping thru some of the long boxes on the end shelves and disaster happened!

He told me to be carefully of the end shelves the 1st day since they were wobbly and a couple boxes had kind of pinned him.  The shelving looked a little rickity but he had interconnected a bunch of them so it felt sturdy when I was moved my around boxes.  I had turned my back and was searching thru it and heard a kind of cracking sound and the end shelf was tipping kind of toward my shoulder.  I pinned it back up and yelled for help since I felt it was a heavy load pushing down - more then a couple long boxes of weight.  The owner came running over and tried to push the shelf with me but you could tell the leg had snapped or something.  I gave it one last push up and saw the other shelves start to topple.  Thankfully the guy grabbed my shoulder and helped get me out of the way since the one shelf was kind of on my shoulder at this point.  

We watched in horror as one shelf toppled another and another.  Ever seen 200 long boxes of books and magazines come toppling down?  Not a pretty sight.  Here is what we ended up with:imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Glad your alright man!!! and the guy helped you!!!

What do you do at that point?  I stood there and said "sh*t" about 10 times and both of us stood there for a couple minutes.  If I was him I'd have probably cried.  People came running over and asked if anyone was hurt - thankfully no one was nearby since that much weight would have done some damage.  My stacks of books I wanted to buy up to that point had been knocked over so we both scooped them up and kind of stumbled up to the front.  To be honest I had this gut feeling I should run even though I hadn't done anything wrong.  Kind of like in school when someone breaks a window - you run.  Couple of the books I wanted probably got damaged but what do you do - quibble over $20?  I said sorry and paid for the long box of books and drove home.  Not really much I could have done to help him at that point - look at those books!  Just glad no one was hurt but I still cringe when I see the picture of the destruction.

Edited by 1Cool

31 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

What do you do at that point?  I stood there and said "sh*t" about 10 times and both of us stood there for a couple minutes.  If I was him I'd have probably cried.  People came running over and asked if anyone was hurt - thankfully no one was nearby since that much weight would have done some damage.  My stacks of books I wanted to buy up to that point had been knocked over so we both scooped them up and kind of stumbled up to the front.  To be honest I had this gut feeling I should run even though I hadn't done anything wrong.  Kind of like in school when someone breaks a window - you run.  Couple of the books I wanted probably got damaged but what do you do - quibble over $20?  I said sorry and paid for the long box of books and drove home.  Not really much I could have done to help him at that point - look at those books!  Just glad no one was hurt but I still cringe when I see the picture of the destruction.

Glad no one was hurt, and glad he didn't blame you

11 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

its a gamble for every one score there are a dozen bad ones. I'm sure if there was a thread where we only posted the bad leads/no deal made the thread would be 3-5 times greater

I would love to see at least a mention of bad leads before a score is posted, if not a separate thread.  Just to get a clearer picture of the reality of bargain/score hunting.  I know everyone likes success stories, and they are the payoff for doing it, but I think there'd be a more appreciation for just how many dead ends have to be come across before the gold is found.  Like before there was phone GPS and you got lost and drove around and around before you finally came across something you recognized and got back to going where you were going, and you're like, 'Yes!! Finally!'

That made me chuckle, give me the horror stories of being lost in the woods or something jk 

imo I think people already respect the hustle and that's what makes the victory enjoyable. BUT I hear you it does sound sometimes like easy Pickens