• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

Was that in Gatineau?  I missed out on a similar collection because I was helping a buddy dismantle and transport a play structure for his kids... :S

Much further out, but yes.

On June 17, 2017 at 3:48 PM, 1Cool said:

I was almost killed by comic books today.  Not exaggerating one bit.  I went back to the antique store to take one last look and see if I could work out a $40 long box deal for maybe 20 long boxes of the best stuff left since I knew I left some decent books in the boxes.  He must have had a change of heart since he didn't seem in any hurry to make a deal today.  I think he wanted to try out a couple Cons and didn't want everything picked.  Oh well - went to work double checking the boxes to see if I wanted anything else before taking it off the list.  Was working on flipping thru some of the long boxes on the end shelves and disaster happened!

He told me to be carefully of the end shelves the 1st day since they were wobbly and a couple boxes had kind of pinned him.  The shelving looked a little rickity but he had interconnected a bunch of them so it felt sturdy when I was moved my around boxes.  I had turned my back and was searching thru it and heard a kind of cracking sound and the end shelf was tipping kind of toward my shoulder.  I pinned it back up and yelled for help since I felt it was a heavy load pushing down - more then a couple long boxes of weight.  The owner came running over and tried to push the shelf with me but you could tell the leg had snapped or something.  I gave it one last push up and saw the other shelves start to topple.  Thankfully the guy grabbed my shoulder and helped get me out of the way since the one shelf was kind of on my shoulder at this point.  

We watched in horror as one shelf toppled another and another.  Ever seen 200 long boxes of books and magazines come toppling down?  Not a pretty sight.  Here is what we ended up with:imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

IMG_3898.JPG

Oh boy, I bet he was happy. How did cherry picking go after that?

Glad you are OK...

On 6/17/2017 at 9:29 AM, jsilverjanet said:

:tonofbricks: 

i went to garage sales last week. Neither of them were open despite their ads

its a gamble for every one score there are a dozen bad ones. I'm sure if there was a thread where we only posted the bad leads/no deal made the thread would be 3-5 times greater

gotta keep going, you'll never know when the next one is the score you've been looking for 

I replied to a CL ad Saturday to check out some comics early Sunday morning. Before I knew it another buyer swooped in and bought all of the books.  

:baiting:

On 2017-06-17 at 3:48 PM, 1Cool said:

I was almost killed by comic books today.  Not exaggerating one bit.  I went back to the antique store to take one last look and see if I could work out a $40 long box deal for maybe 20 long boxes of the best stuff left since I knew I left some decent books in the boxes.  He must have had a change of heart since he didn't seem in any hurry to make a deal today.  I think he wanted to try out a couple Cons and didn't want everything picked.  Oh well - went to work double checking the boxes to see if I wanted anything else before taking it off the list.  Was working on flipping thru some of the long boxes on the end shelves and disaster happened!

He told me to be carefully of the end shelves the 1st day since they were wobbly and a couple boxes had kind of pinned him.  The shelving looked a little rickity but he had interconnected a bunch of them so it felt sturdy when I was moved my around boxes.  I had turned my back and was searching thru it and heard a kind of cracking sound and the end shelf was tipping kind of toward my shoulder.  I pinned it back up and yelled for help since I felt it was a heavy load pushing down - more then a couple long boxes of weight.  The owner came running over and tried to push the shelf with me but you could tell the leg had snapped or something.  I gave it one last push up and saw the other shelves start to topple.  Thankfully the guy grabbed my shoulder and helped get me out of the way since the one shelf was kind of on my shoulder at this point.  

We watched in horror as one shelf toppled another and another.  Ever seen 200 long boxes of books and magazines come toppling down?  Not a pretty sight.  Here is what we ended up with:imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

IMG_3898.JPG

Glad that you are ok and not under these boxes!  Whoa ... what a mess in the aftermath. The owner has a long way to clean up and repair the shelves back to wall. I shudder to think what kind of books - if there are any good key ones among the boxes in the mess. Are they ok? lol  Hey, when it is your life being in risk - forget the keys and run to safety.

i saw why the shelves fell down. The owner had set the long boxes further offset from edge of shelves in back.  The total of extra weight pressed on back of shelves by all long boxes from top to bottom put the extra pressure on back legs which excess their max strength to failure. The front edge had no trouble as it get less stress there. 

The owner should had widen the length to match long boxes for better support or centred long boxes in middle. Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Glad that you are ok and not under these boxes!  Whoa ... what a mess in the aftermath. The owner has a long way to clean up and repair the shelves back to wall. I shudder to think what kind of books - if there are any good key ones among the boxes in the mess. Are they ok? lol  Hey, when it is your life being in risk - forget the keys and run to safety.

i saw why the shelves fell down. The owner had set the long boxes further offset from edge of shelves in back.  The total of extra weight pressed on back of shelves by all long boxes from top to bottom put the extra pressure on back legs which excess their max strength to failure. The front edge had no trouble as it get less stress there. 

The owner should had widen the length to match long boxes for better support or centred long boxes in middle. Just my opinion.

Yea - his whole system was a receipt for disaster.  There are shelves which are designed for half a ton of weight and those where not them.  And the end shelves were not as structurally sound as the ones in the pictures.  Most of the books he had left were $1 books but he did have a rack full of $10-$20 books so hopefully those boxes are just pinned and not crushed.  I rechecked out the shelves I have at my house when I got home but I bought the high weight types and I only don't put boxes up top so I'm way under weighted. 

25 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Glad you weren't hurt man. 

Also, I'm glad the books owner didn't catch you take pics of the disaster soon before fleeing the scene :baiting:

I knew I needed picture evidence of what happened since no one would have believed me.  I've never even heard of something like that happening to someone.

On 6/17/2017 at 3:48 PM, 1Cool said:

IMG_3898.JPG

@TheRealVenom

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I knew I needed picture evidence of what happened since no one would have believed me.  I've never even heard of something like that happening to someone.

:frown: