• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

So here's a story of my most recent purchase/annoyance. People contact me and it might be months before we end up meeting. This girl lived an hour away but could never meet because she didn't have a vehicle. She sent these photos: 

1.jpg.f4fe586969f9daa7eee764e7cfd9f24a.jpg

You'll note the Superboy 68, Fantastic Four 67, and the key Thor being the be best books of the bunch.

I kept her info and usually sent a message once per month to check back. A week ago she's finally able to meet me 30 mins away. She also found more comics and proceeded to send pics of around 50 Walt Disney, Looney Tunes, and other cartoon books. We set up the meet. 

It's a young girl, around 25, she shows up with her mom driving her. As soon as she opened the car's trunk and I saw a very small box with the cartoon comics on top I just knew she didn't bring any of the comics she sent the first time and I was right.

She said she gave a few comics to her nephew but definitely not as many as I said were missing. Her mom looks at her dumbfounded and is like "you forgot them?" At this point I was pretty annoyed but they offered to let me follow them to their house and get them, another 30 mins away. I already came this far and I'm a fiend for comics so I agreed.

She comes out of her house with another bag of comics and says this is absolutely all of them. I bought every non-cartoon comic. Here's what I ended up with:

received.thumb.jpg.6c93bf2dd05d89a3886dfaa414f1a639.jpg

So the girl either lost the Superboy 68 and the other good books or the nephew snatched them. Oh well, on to the next deal.

That started out reading like a Penthouse forum letter with the mom/daughter enticing you back to their home....

3 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Here's what I ended up with:

received.thumb.jpg.6c93bf2dd05d89a3886dfaa414f1a639.jpg

So the girl either lost the Superboy 68 and the other good books or the nephew snatched them. Oh well, on to the next deal.

:applause:

16 hours ago, WeR138 said:

A few weeks ago, I got a call from someone who knows I'm into comics.  Someone they know was selling a few, so I said I would go check them out.

It didn't sound promising (I got a 90's drek vibe from the description), it was starting to get late, I was in the middle of some sorting, and I almost didn't go.

Out of a stack of beaters, I walked away with these.  They're definitely rough, but the 181 has the MVS.  I had none of these in my collection, so I'm pretty happy.

DSCN4070.JPG

Dude. That's like a flush. Wow. 

Never had a collection that had all grails in one collection without having other books of great value alongside. Usually it would either be one (or 2 in the case of IH) or an entire collection with nothing but keys and grails. Congrats!

16 hours ago, WeR138 said:

A few weeks ago, I got a call from someone who knows I'm into comics.  Someone they know was selling a few, so I said I would go check them out.

It didn't sound promising (I got a 90's drek vibe from the description), it was starting to get late, I was in the middle of some sorting, and I almost didn't go.

Out of a stack of beaters, I walked away with these.  They're definitely rough, but the 181 has the MVS.  I had none of these in my collection, so I'm pretty happy.

DSCN4070.JPG

Real nice "beaters"...

It was a very strange mess of books that I walked in on.  There was 90's garbage, some other common bronze books that were in terrible shape, and these.  

The photo before uploading is a lot clearer and shows the extent of wear much better.  The top right of the 129 has extensive bug chew and they all have less than stellar page quality.

2 minutes ago, WeR138 said:

It was a very strange mess of books that I walked in on.  There was 90's garbage, some other common bronze books that were in terrible shape, and these.  

The photo before uploading is a lot clearer and shows the extent of wear much better.  The top right of the 129 has extensive bug chew and they all have less than stellar page quality.

Still Awesome though :) especially sense you said that you didn't own them at the time :whee:

a complete IH 181 would make me smile, lol and I don't own a GSXM 1 :) 

20 hours ago, WeR138 said:

DSCN4070.JPG

FANTASTIC FIND (worship)

40 minutes ago, westerberg14 said:

what's the story for finding this book?  That would be odd to run into at the random garage sale...

This was an online auction run by the local auction house.  They don't know anything about comics, but they were selling a pile of Spire Christian books, and I saw Ms. Hansi sticking out from the bottom of stack.  Thankfully this one was in the middle of the pile, so it held up well.  The next best book was Johnny Cash, so I'm glad the gamble paid off.

Also in the lot was a Twist-A-Ciser in box, which is essentially a wooden square which you stand on, and it pivots.  I have no idea what to do with it, but it's gotta be the shake-weight of that era.

Image result for twist-a-ciser

51 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

This was an online auction run by the local auction house.  They don't know anything about comics, but they were selling a pile of Spire Christian books, and I saw Ms. Hansi sticking out from the bottom of stack.  Thankfully this one was in the middle of the pile, so it held up well.  The next best book was Johnny Cash, so I'm glad the gamble paid off.

Also in the lot was a Twist-A-Ciser in box, which is essentially a wooden square which you stand on, and it pivots.  I have no idea what to do with it, but it's gotta be the shake-weight of that era.

Image result for twist-a-ciser

I had a Hansi and a Twist-a-ciser growing up. I guess when my Mom threw out my comics, she went to Gatineau...

14 hours ago, FineCollector said:

In the "I didn't think I wanted one until it appeared under my nose" category... Hansi.thumb.jpg.d2497878a074ec280e3a0d9df2105510.jpg

Yeah, I ran across one of these at a show once and was tempted, but at the end of the day decided it didn't fit my collection. Interesting book for sure!

Another Saturday, another $1 sale! Per usual there's nothing earth shattering, but several solid $5-$10 books, and many that I am keeping for myself.

What set these books apart was that they appeared to be a single collection, and they are in super nice shape. Pretty much everything I pulled looks 9.6 or better, with only a couple of exceptions. That was especially nice when it came to the DCU variants.

So, a little bit of everything I like: some shiny 90's drek, some sharp copper Bats, some DCU variants, and lots of $1 spec books that I like to horde. The Venom stuff always sells for me, and those late Darkhawks are a major pain to find in grade. Also got some Bat and Wildcats newsstands for the personal collection, trying to piece together newsstand sets $1 at a time. Slow going, but fun!

Photo Jul 23, 7 32 50 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 7 25 44 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 7 29 46 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 7 34 48 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 7 36 38 PM.jpg

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Another Saturday, another $1 sale! Per usual there's nothing earth shattering, but several solid $5-$10 books, and many that I am keeping for myself.

What set these books apart was that they appeared to be a single collection, and they are in super nice shape. Pretty much everything I pulled looks 9.6 or better, with only a couple of exceptions. That was especially nice when it came to the DCU variants.

So, a little bit of everything I like: some shiny 90's drek, some sharp copper Bats, some DCU variants, and lots of $1 spec books that I like to horde. The Venom stuff always sells for me, and those late Darkhawks are a major pain to find in grade. Also got some Bat and Wildcats newsstands for the personal collection, trying to piece together newsstand sets $1 at a time. Slow going, but fun!

Photo Jul 23, 7 32 50 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 7 25 44 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 7 29 46 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 7 34 48 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 23, 7 36 38 PM.jpg

Congrats on the DCUs! Ill take a DCU over a newsstand any day of the week. But then again... I also like combo packs

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Congrats on the DCUs! Ill take a DCU over a newsstand any day of the week. But then again... I also like combo packs

I like all of them, in moderation!