• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2017 at 11:47 AM, comicwiz said:

You got lucky. I met someone like this a few years back. While it wasn't a 3 hour drive, it was a 30 minute drive in the worst winter weather we had all season. When I arrived, she began talking about turning away some people for some furniture, and these were people that drove more than 2 hrs. I couldn't help thinking that could be me. I had made sure before I drove that she was in fact looking to sell. She was just waiting to hear what they were worth, and soon after I heard every excuse in the book why she wouldn't sell, which included her husband was too attached to sell. Coincidentally, a week later I got a PM from someone on Facebook asking for my opinion on a collection "near me" and it turned out to be the exact same one I was told was not for sale. She had been shopping the collection around with the number I gave, why she didn't just take the offer I'll never know.  I was initially furious with what she did, and I contacted her to tell her, but I also made sure I told the guy who contacted me (who lived in Halifax, an 18hr drive away) to not make the trip and to avoid this person.

That's crazy someone would consider driving 18 hours to view a collection, especially when you consider he's going to an area that has a ton of potential buyers (has to think the chance he can close on it when local ones cannot is slim-to-none).

Edited by spreads

On 10/7/2017 at 10:47 AM, comicwiz said:

You got lucky. I met someone like this a few years back. While it wasn't a 3 hour drive, it was a 30 minute drive in the worst winter weather we had all season. When I arrived, she began talking about turning away some people for some furniture, and these were people that drove more than 2 hrs. I couldn't help thinking that could be me. I had made sure before I drove that she was in fact looking to sell. She was just waiting to hear what they were worth, and soon after I heard every excuse in the book why she wouldn't sell, which included her husband was too attached to sell. Coincidentally, a week later I got a PM from someone on Facebook asking for my opinion on a collection "near me" and it turned out to be the exact same one I was told was not for sale. She had been shopping the collection around with the number I gave, why she didn't just take the offer I'll never know.  I was initially furious with what she did, and I contacted her to tell her, but I also made sure I told the guy who contacted me (who lived in Halifax, an 18hr drive away) to not make the trip and to avoid this person.

I would've been furious lol. I get a lot of those people that want to use you for a FMV though. Luckily haven't made the drive for any so far. That's the bad thing about where I am -- any collection I buy I am driving at least a few hours. 

4 hours ago, spreads said:

That's crazy someone would consider driving 18 hours to view a collection, especially when you consider he's going to an area that has a ton of potential buyers (has to think the chance he can close on it when local ones cannot is slim-to-none).

He's a transort truck driver, who drove back and forth from Halifax to the Honda plant, which is about 30-45 minutes to where the collection was.  But it was still a better idea to have a nice meal or have a nap instead of spending that time to go see the dragonlady.

4 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

I would've been furious lol. I get a lot of those people that want to use you for a FMV though. Luckily haven't made the drive for any so far. That's the bad thing about where I am -- any collection I buy I am driving at least a few hours. 

Happened just a few weeks ago to me. I'm usually good at screening this nonsense, but it doesn't work on liars unfortunately.

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

Happened just a few weeks ago to me. I'm usually good at screening this nonsense, but it doesn't work on liars unfortunately.

Well with dealing with Kijiji (I assume?), it's the the largest online garage sale - you get all types!  I get a pretty good idea of someone's demographic and socioeconomic background from reading their response....here's one a few days ago:

Me: "Hello, I might be interested in this, I would have to see it in person (check out the size, weight, etc) when would I be able to view it?

-N

Him:  "me just I know when?"

LOL, I show my girlfriend this, 'how am I supposed to respond to this?'.  I felt like replying with, hey can you try that again with real English?  

Online classified sites do draw in the worst, but the incident I'm describing was someone visiting my booth at an annual show I do, telling me they were looking to sell. I noticed her reading my sign, which mentioned my credentials as an accredited appraiser, so I did walk over, introduce myself, and mentioned that I do charge for appraisals if that's what she was looking for, and her reply was that she was not interested in keeping the collection, but only interested in selling it. The tune changed when I got there, and as soon as they got the number from me, they couldn't get rid of me fast enough.

3 hours ago, spreads said:

Well with dealing with Kijiji (I assume?), it's the the largest online garage sale - you get all types!  I get a pretty good idea of someone's demographic and socioeconomic background from reading their response....here's one a few days ago:

Me: "Hello, I might be interested in this, I would have to see it in person (check out the size, weight, etc) when would I be able to view it?

-N

LOL, I show my girlfriend this, 'how am I supposed to respond to this?'.  I felt like replying with, hey can you try that again with real English?  

sort of sounds like they were using some sort of language translation program that failed hard. Probably meant to say "Just let me know when" in the affirmative (although it lacks the "sure" part.

Went to a toy show this weekend.  Virtually no toys, but some interesting comics.

A guy had a bunch of boxes with the comics in "sandwich" bags.  Not sure what type of monster sandwiches people ate back in the day.  Nearly all books were from the 80s and majority were high grade. 

Boxes were $30 each.  Ended up buying one with a ton of DC comics largely because of Moore Swamp Thing issues and a Crisis on Infinite Earths set. 

One book caught me by surprise: DC Spotlight #1.  This book hasn't been on my radar. 

It pulls $100 often.  Even mid grade books sell well.  

Bought a 2nd box with a ton of Savage Sword of Conan magazines.  Early issues have some spine wear, but the majority are very high grade.   I can't wait to go thru those.  

Patrick

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Not sure what type of monster sandwiches people ate back in the day.

Lol! I bought a collection recently that were in these really neat bags, but they were too wide to be comic bags. I then noticed they left a half-opened box of them iin with the collection and it was marked sandwich bags. I thought the same thing as they are huge!

13 hours ago, spreads said:

-N

That's kinda how my conversations go with eBay customer service 

13 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Online classified sites do draw in the worst, but the incident I'm describing was someone visiting my booth at an annual show I do, telling me they were looking to sell. I noticed her reading my sign, which mentioned my credentials as an accredited appraiser, so I did walk over, introduce myself, and mentioned that I do charge for appraisals if that's what she was looking for, and her reply was that she was not interested in keeping the collection, but only interested in selling it. The tune changed when I got there, and as soon as they got the number from me, they couldn't get rid of me fast enough.

Curious - what does it take to be an accredited appraiser? - I assume this would be related to insuring collections. Wondering what level of hoops you have to jump through.

18 minutes ago, W16227 said:

Curious - what does it take to be an accredited appraiser? - I assume this would be related to insuring collections. Wondering what level of hoops you have to jump through.

Yes, the main purpose is for insurance, but proving wills (probate) and/or valuing personal property in divorce or inheritance situations are a few other reasons.  The qualifications depend on whether you want to do all personal property, real property (i.e. real estate). Generally, you are expected to learn uniform standards of practice and ethics through instructive programs and/or courses, where you are later tested on your knowledge of USPAP. I believe in the U.S. you have to take an update/refresher course every two years. The Appraisal Foundation website lays it all out here.

Yes, the main purpose is for insurance, but proving wills (probate) and/or valuing personal property in divorce or inheritance situations are a few other reasons.  The qualifications depend on whether you want to do all personal property, real property (i.e. real estate). Generally, you are expected to learn uniform standards of practice and ethics through instructive programs and/or courses, where you are later tested on your knowledge of USPAP. I believe in the U.S. you have to take an update/refresher course every two years. The Appraisal Foundation website lays it all out here.

Is it possible they view you being an appraisal and buyer as a conflict of interest?  If I was selling property, and the appraiser came in to make an offer to buy no matter how genuine and fair it was I would find it an odd and uncomfortable.  

THANKS! -  find it interesting to see the REAL process one should go through.  I hear people talk about "appraisals" all of the time - but they are really just using an excuse to go see a collection and make an offer.....

There was a case years ago on Antiques Roadshow, where an appraiser gave an appraisal on a large lot of CSA General George Pickett's possessions to a direct descendant.  He then made an offer to buy, and based on the appraisal, the offer was accepted.  Not sure how it came to light, but the appraiser was sued shortly thereafter for the low appraisal and tactic.

6 hours ago, spreads said:

Is it possible they view you being an appraisal and buyer as a conflict of interest?  If I was selling property, and the appraiser came in to make an offer to buy no matter how genuine and fair it was I would find it an odd and uncomfortable.  

I can't speak for any person offering appraisals, but there is no way I would deviate as someone accredited and bound to a code of ethics as outlined under USPAP. Every one of my reports is certified, and the language of the terms make it clear I cannot, and will not be influenced by the direction dicated by the client. The only reason why these people called me in was to tell them what their collection was worth, and they did it under the guise of trying to sell a collection to avoid paying my fees. I was consulted in our courses about this very problem, and every once in awhile it happens because the way we get around this conflict of interest is to follow very specific line of questioning from the get-go. Bottom line is by indicating they were selling, it creates the pathway of avoiding the conflict of interest, but you never expect people to lie about their intentions for the sake of saving a few bucks.

4 hours ago, Bronzed Jbone said:

There was a case years ago on Antiques Roadshow, where an appraiser gave an appraisal on a large lot of CSA General George Pickett's possessions to a direct descendant.  He then made an offer to buy, and based on the appraisal, the offer was accepted.  Not sure how it came to light, but the appraiser was sued shortly thereafter for the low appraisal and tactic.

I can't speak on this occurrence you describe, but once that report is certified by myself or someone else, it would be unwise to not stick to that number. I have never found myself in a situation like the AR example, but if I were offered a collection I appraised, I would advise the owner to consult with an impartial party to provide me with a direction of value. 

The only time someone might offer below the valuation is if the client is in a duress situation (divorces are tricky for this reason). In such cases, it is wise to prepare the report in such a way to explain economic conditions impacting the valuation. As collectors, we understand that piecing out a collection takes time and will usually achieve a higher rate of return than selling it in one shot. I handled a situation where the couple were splitting and one of them was in a hurry to "liquidate" the collection, and all I could do was advise them that if they were looking to sell it all at once, they should prepare themselves to only get 30-50% of FMV. The person in a hurry eventually just made a cheque out to their spouse once they heard this.

Picked these up at various places this weekend touring around with my wife and in-laws to antique stores and flea markets.  The last batch is "interesting"...

59dbf8341fc2a_Batman163.thumb.jpg.cc4d794bea5b8dbb7aad34dc77b15901.jpg59dbf83b941d2_Batman423CAD.thumb.jpg.fd725cee25ef657fc464a68bed9c35e6.jpg59dbf84579f34_Static1.thumb.jpg.1efa9c6ea3cc133099991a877d46c088.jpg59dbf85dd4146_Legionaires14.thumb.jpg.8379a86db96eeebb99f75f00485b0154.jpg59dbf8753ba08_Static1.thumb.jpg.05b6d4ec44250337e2ac620f6fde1455.jpg59dbf8798705a_Superman220.thumb.jpg.53ac3ab8d3bfa2ed7993cde201f861c3.jpg59dbf87d73364_SUPERMANvAMAZINGSPIDERMAN.thumb.jpg.199fe97acc495bb862222a37c42836f3.jpg59dbf883d124c_SwampThing7.thumb.jpg.58e5875973ef2cef7fe182af81b5584c.jpg59dbf887631dc_SwampThing9.thumb.jpg.a70cf4677d71d293aac3731c6933df8d.jpg59dbf88ab06f6_SwampThing25CAD.thumb.jpg.0fae1e526a63c8faa598ea455126c5fc.jpg

The following are some mags I found that at first I was not sure if I should even buy, but I did, they were too "bizarre" to leave to rot at a flea market.  So the books are in order of appearance, Man's Age Vol. 1 #3 (1962), Men Today Vol. 1 #2 (1961), Men Today Vol. 2 #2 (1962) and True Men Vol. 6 #1 (1962). Crazy.

59dbf8999eb4d_MANSAGEVol.1Number31962.thumb.jpg.4b389d3defaec1ef8e07065586982d0c.jpg59dbf89d573be_MENTODAYVol.1Number21961.thumb.jpg.8f2cafbefc25a04570234bd99960f6ca.jpg59dbf8a496aa8_MENTODAYVol.2Number21962.thumb.jpg.bc301592c1e192485af86e2e2a845443.jpg59dbfc9095ca3_TRUEMENVol.6Number11962.thumb.jpg.5713a034f4df7e2005eb516ea8d1652c.jpg

I'm still in the process of flipping through them...The articles/stories are just as "interesting"! 

Those "Mens" mags sell like gold dust, great grab!

Not in the same league, but my son is managing a cinema complex in-between study semesters and he bought me home this. A freeway ad sign - "Ant" sized of course (see mouse for size comparison). Made out of metal with heavy vinyl Ant-Man insert. Wahey!

It's great when your kids get you something cool!am.thumb.JPG.2c887d5928fabfbbe0a19abf7d877873.JPG

16 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I can't speak for any person offering appraisals, but there is no way I would deviate as someone accredited and bound to a code of ethics as outlined under USPAP. Every one of my reports is certified, and the language of the terms make it clear I cannot, and will not be influenced by the direction dicated by the client. The only reason why these people called me in was to tell them what their collection was worth, and they did it under the guise of trying to sell a collection to avoid paying my fees. I was consulted in our courses about this very problem, and every once in awhile it happens because the way we get around this conflict of interest is to follow very specific line of questioning from the get-go. Bottom line is by indicating they were selling, it creates the pathway of avoiding the conflict of interest, but you never expect people to lie about their intentions for the sake of saving a few bucks.

So you couldn't get an agreement for fees in place before going out-there?