• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,805 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, spreads said:

So you couldn't get an agreement for fees in place before going out-there? 

That's the thing people like this person know how to exploit unfortunately. Yes, you are correct, in a perfect world, this is done exactly as you describe. But the pathway they choose, and the manner the request is made is how you definitively know to move forward. While there are ways we are instructed to make the "pitch" (and I do this by normally making the person aware of it being a fee-based service), they only really work when the request is made to appraise, and to me they otherwise seem like forcing something that wasn't requested in the first place. I know others have forced a fee when a "looking to sell" turns into an attempt to get a free appraisal, but even then, a contract/engagement terms should be signed by the other party, and my guess is that someone who is looking for a free ride will never willingly enter into such an agreement.

Edited by comicwiz

4 hours ago, comicwiz said:

That's the thing people like this person know how to exploit unfortunately. Yes, you are correct, in a perfect world, this is done exactly as you describe. But the pathway they choose, and the manner the request is made is how you definitively know to move forward. While there are ways we are instructed to make the "pitch" (and I do this by normally making the person aware of it being a fee-based service), they only really work when the request is made to appraise, and to me they otherwise seem like forcing something that wasn't requested in the first place. I know others have forced a fee when a "looking to sell" turns into an attempt to get a free appraisal, but even then, a contract/engagement terms should be signed by the other party, and my guess is that someone who intends to take you for a ride will never willingly enter into such an agreement.

this little peek and some of your previous posts about appraisals has been interesting, and answered some of my questions about how to ensure you get paid for your services.

18 hours ago, Brock said:

A recent dollar dive find... some obscure books!

Comics.jpeg

Love the Death Rattle! Need to go ahead and get one for myself.

This guy posted on Craig's List all over the place. ASM 1 CGC 4.5 $3,500

Yea I know its likely a scam, but I spoke to the guy on the phone for a little bit and he's out of Hinsdale Illinois. If someone wants to check it out who lives in the area, I say go for it. 

I'm in CA so I can't check it out. 

Wants Paypal.

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/clt/d/amazing-spider-man-1/6336098784.html

Edited by Rip

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:28 PM, FineCollector said:
mrwoogieman said:
Estate sale find this morning. Not really a key-laden run but early 70s comics are always fun to find!

Do you not know that DD 131 is first Bullseye?

That DD 131 scored a 9.4 after a press. I love comic hunting in the wild.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:57 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

Drove 12 hours on Friday to get these books...and it was worth it. The TMNT 1 is signed and sketched by Eastman/Laird and every book here is double signed.

59e2c041915d4_tmnt(2).thumb.JPG.a99f021a46183058b33b8b419c6a1034.JPG

59e2c03db9123_tmnt(1).thumb.jpg.ffc561869e44f554366a67403b0071f5.jpg

59e2c0448879a_tmnt(3).thumb.jpg.5f241bd014b81a9ba69032f81b790609.jpg

Whoa.

5 hours ago, mccollect said:

First time posting garage sale finds, sorry for the bad pics. The Grimm Fairy Tales #1 is really nice though!!

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_8576.JPG

IMG_8874.JPG

IMG_9179.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG

Whoa, lots of nice scores there, congrats!

Need some advice.  I finally got some free time this weekend and was very excited to hunt for some comics.  I went out driving and probably went to about 9 garage sales and found NO COMICs at any of them... is this common?  How often do you all find comics at garage sales, is it a rare thing?  Is there anything I can do to make it a higher yield or is it just random?

I became pretty dispirited by the end and just ended up buying some cheap furniture...