• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,806 posts in this topic

Not a find, but as usual, I put out comics, among many other things, at our local neighborhood yard sale (the area advertises and it is held at a specific time with various houses participating, etc.). I put out 2 1/2 long boxes about 7 years ago and have been widdling them down every year since at $1 each. Mostly 90s modern drek, but I have to sprinkle in a few comics of interest like 90s spidermans, punishers, X-Men, x-force, etc. After double checking and yanking some books that might have become more desireable in the last year or two I was down to a long box plus maybe 70 more comics this year and decided to supplement with some books I have put to the side while organizing my collection. mostly lower grade BA that I can't really sell individually. water stains, rusty staples, that sort of thing. probably about 50 books in total I added into the mix to make sure they were visible so that people would see old comics when they walked by. Not surprisingly, the vultures came out and bought those.  Low grade 70s books in bags sell briskly for $1 it seems (this was my experience before). So I sold about 70 books at $1 each. Toward the end of the day a guy comes buy and looks over what has been cherry picked. A long box is left and I guess maybe 50 more books. He asks "how much," so I guesitmated the total, cut the $ in half, rounded down, and said $120. He claimed he only had $60. Frankly, I was exhausted and was tired of looking at the same drek year after year so I let him have them at $60. I guess that works out to 20-25 cents a book, they were mostly bagged. I probably lost money on them even if I bought most out of a quarter box, but I was glad to move on. Next year I will have a new long box of carefully culled drek and low grade BA books.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Not a find, but as usual, I put out comics, among many other things, at our local neighborhood yard sale (the area advertises and it is held at a specific time with various houses participating, etc.). I put out 2 1/2 long boxes about 7 years ago and have been widdling them down every year since at $1 each. Mostly 90s modern drek, but I have to sprinkle in a few comics of interest like 90s spidermans, punishers, X-Men, x-force, etc. After double checking and yanking some books that might have become more desireable in the last year or two I was down to a long box plus maybe 70 more comics this year and decided to supplement with some books I have put to the side while organizing my collection. mostly lower grade BA that I can't really sell individually. water stains, rusty staples, that sort of thing. probably about 50 books in total I added into the mix to make sure they were visible so that people would see old comics when they walked by. Not surprisingly, the vultures came out and bought those.  Low grade 70s books in bags sell briskly for $1 it seems (this was my experience before). So I sold about 70 books at $1 each. Toward the end of the day a guy comes buy and looks over what has been cherry picked. A long box is left and I guess maybe 50 more books. He asks "how much," so I guesitmated the total, cut the $ in half, rounded down, and said $120. He claimed he only had $60. Frankly, I was exhausted and was tired of looking at the same drek year after year so I let him have them at $60. I guess that works out to 20-25 cents a book, they were mostly bagged. I probably lost money on them even if I bought most out of a quarter box, but I was glad to move on. Next year I will have a new long box of carefully culled drek and low grade BA books.

yeah, probably not worth it.  get rid of it. 

4 hours ago, faster friends said:

Books a Million by me has been doing buy backs. They pay pretty well for comics. More than I can get here or eBay for common moderns as they will buy anything.

Is this a new thing?  How do they determine the value?  I hope books a million won't become the next hastings...

13 hours ago, the blob said:

Toward the end of the day a guy comes buy and looks over what has been cherry picked. A long box is left and I guess maybe 50 more books. He asks "how much," so I guesitmated the total, cut the $ in half, rounded down, and said $120. He claimed he only had $60. Frankly, I was exhausted and was tired of looking at the same drek year after year so I let him have them at $60. I guess that works out to 20-25 cents a book, they were mostly bagged. I probably lost money on them even if I bought most out of a quarter box, but I was glad to move on. Next year I will have a new long box of carefully culled drek and low grade BA books.

I'd happily make that deal.  If it's been years that they haven't sold, they're just not going to sell for you.  Let the other guy figure out how to move them.  $60 US for a mixed long box isn't giving it away by any stretch.

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Is this a new thing?  How do they determine the value?  I hope books a million won't become the next hastings...

Not real sure. They use a web site to see what they will pay. I think like 20% of what they will ask for the book. For 50 Modern Marvels I got $22 which is more than I hoped for. For $200 Mixed moderns I got $85

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I'd happily make that deal.  If it's been years that they haven't sold, they're just not going to sell for you.  Let the other guy figure out how to move them.  $60 US for a mixed long box isn't giving it away by any stretch.

Seriously, I would have been doing jumping-jacks.

16 hours ago, the blob said:

That's a good day, structured community sales are always fun if nothing else sells.  There's a couple real big (and popular) ones in my town, they don't offer much value and you can't even get near them because they're so packed with people, but it's still fun....Hopefully you managed to sell some copies of that book where you have 75 copies?  :baiting: :idea:

6 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I can get him as many long boxes of drek as he wants for $60 a piece. 

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
6 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I can get him as many long boxes of drek as he wants for $60 a piece.

I'll sell for $55 each.......

:baiting:

lol - seriously for a picked over box, $60 is a great deal. I ( and many others) - would sell all day for this and even less even if it means taking a hit. The bulk items are a pain to move unless you are a regular at a con or flea market - and I really do not have the time to set up more than once or twice a year. Even then - you seem to get cherry picked to death.

Agreed, if the boxes are picked and it's stuff you've been lugging around forever, $60 is a terrific deal. I blew out 20 boxes of 90's indie drek for $25 a box a few months ago and was thrilled with the deal! Get the dead stuff outta here!

4 hours ago, spreads said:

That's a good day, structured community sales are always fun if nothing else sells.  There's a couple real big (and popular) ones in my town, they don't offer much value and you can't even get near them because they're so packed with people, but it's still fun....Hopefully you managed to sell some copies of that book where you have 75 copies?  :baiting: :idea:

Actually, I forgot to put any of those in. But I do have stacks of Spider-Man and Thor SAGA previews I got for free and there were a few of those in the boxes.

Actually, I look at it more like $130 for the day selling about 300 drektacular comics, so I can't cry too much. Every year a bit of the drek randomly sold, but yeah, so at that rate I would sell the long box in 10 years, so time to start fresh! Anyway, we cleared about $270 total on the day selling comics, books, records, some kiddie stuff my guys had outgrown...it was good to get rid of some bulk clutter.

Like 6 or 7 years ago, probably my second yard sale, I went through the box of what was left from the prior year and I realized I had most of the 1st Deadpool series in there, tons of preachers and various stuff from the year before I had thought were worthless, but that, thankfully, nobody had bought. It's always good to double check before putting stuff out, my opinion as to drekiness can change.

56 minutes ago, the blob said:

Actually, I look at it more like $130 for the day selling about 300 drektacular comics, so I can't cry too much. Every year a bit of the drek randomly sold, but yeah, so at that rate I would sell the long box in 10 years, so time to start fresh! Anyway, we cleared about $270 total on the day selling comics, books, records, some kiddie stuff my guys had outgrown...it was good to get rid of some bulk clutter.

Like 6 or 7 years ago, probably my second yard sale, I went through the box of what was left from the prior year and I realized I had most of the 1st Deadpool series in there, tons of preachers and various stuff from the year before I had thought were worthless, but that, thankfully, nobody had bought. It's always good to double check before putting stuff out, my opinion as to drekiness can change.

Yes, regardless if you think it's drek or not it might have changes in value - especially with indie or low print run books, you never know if it takes off.  $270 ain't bad, a couple nice bottles of scotch!