• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,806 posts in this topic

No good finds at garage sales and flea markets, but I have answered some online ads and asked if they had comics even though the ads made no mention of them. Usually, the answer is 'no', but once the guy said: "Yeah", but they're not available yet to the public. This was about 3 years ago.

Lucky me though - he said I could take a look before it went public. The guy had a warehouse and one room was devoted to unsorted comics, most of which were 'garbage' from the later 1970s-early 1980s (ie) KA-ZAR, MOON KNIGHT, MICRONAUTS, etc... Lots of duplication and most were unbagged and unboarded. I spent a few hours digging and he said I could take it all for $2K or something like that, which wasn't entirely unreasonable considering the volume. What am I going to do with 25 copies of MICRONAUTS #17!?!?! I collected all of the good vintage stuff into one long box for easier access. Then I told him I'd think about it.

And so I did, and went back several days later. By now, I had asked if I could pick and choose (cherry-pick in our circles :devil:) and he agreed. The deal was take WHATEVER I want for $1/book, with NO MINIMUM. So I proceed to go through it all once more, but I never found the box I made on the previous visit after spending a few hours pulling books... :P

So, I made out with 40 MILLER WOLVIE #1s, of which 6 came back from CGC as 9.6 WP, and one 9.4 WP :headbang: . Not bad for my first CGC submission, and for books sitting in the open without bags and boards!!! :o. I blew the rest of the cpies out on Ebay for $19.99 or $29.99 each, depending upon the grade. I felt guilty taking them - I even left the 20 or so lowest grade copies there... What else did I take that day? About 20 KAMANDI #1s in VFish grade, other VFish 1970s KIRBY books, plenty of CHARLTON stuff, and an assortment of misc books for total of 500 books for $500.00.

Here's the kicker. I asked about the vintage stuff and he said, they're in the back, but not part of the deal. So, the other shoe had dropped.... :boo: BUT, he then lays down the law and tells me those books are $2/each. And guess what I got at $2 each? :D Some low grade SA MARVEL AND DC, plus some fun 1970s magazines, and the like, PLUS..........................

A CANADIAN WHITE of an early GA ARCHIE and 2 of the last issues of the GA CAPTAIN AMERICA series - booh yeah!!!! :acclaim: The CAPS were remainder copies missing the top 1/4 of the FC, but the books themselves were NICE. I flipped them the next day for $100.00, which I quickly realized was too low, but hey, it cost me $4.00. I do wish I had kept them though.

That's my best find, besides finding a VG/FN copy of BATMAN #232 in a LCS $1 bin.... :screwy:

I've posted this story before, but I always like a new opportunity to trot it out again:

Biggest thrill was in the early 1980s, wandering through a used book fair and spying a cardboard box of comics under a seller's table. Asked if I could look through them, and my heart almost stopped when I found FF #2 in (what I now know to be) VF condition. Kept flipping and I think my heart DID stop when I saw the next book: FF #1, again in VF shape.

I made sure no one else saw the books, and I quietly and calmly asked the guy what he wanted for them. He obviously knew they were worth something, but had no idea how much, because he said $50. I asked him, "each?!", and he said "for both". I gave $50 cash and got the heck out of there as fast as possible!

Still got them?

Sadly, no. :cry:

Times were tough in the late 80s and I had to sell them. I did well, but not remotely as well as I would have done if I were selling them today. But hey, any of us could say that about any book we sold back then.

But it's not so much the money that I regret. It's not having those 2 books in my collection any more.

Went to the Springfield Extravaganza - the largest flea market/antique mall I've ever been to. Found this one - Feb. 1946 - $20:

extravaganzaCaptMarvel.jpg

Also got these two for $1 each - they are first prints:

extravaganzaBone.jpg

Went to the Springfield Extravaganza - the largest flea market/antique mall I've ever been to. Found this one - Feb. 1946 - $20:

Also got these two for $1 each - they are first prints:

extravaganzaBone.jpg

Very nice! :applause:

I have a few good items I picked up today. When I get a chance, I'll take some pics and post 'em later tonight. (thumbs u

OK. Here's some pics of some of the stuff I picked up today at a flea market in Wisconsin:

Journey Into Mystery #82 (last issue before Thor starts)

JourneyIntoMystery82GD.jpg

The cover's loose but I picked it up for about $7.00. :)

The following books were picked up at $1.00 each:

Hex1NM-.jpg

Beautiful copy except for an impact ding at the lower right corner which can be removed with pressing.

Rai1NM.jpg

Also picked up copies of Rai #0 and #2.

Airboy5NM.jpg

Part of a 12 issue run (1 thru 12) that I picked up for a buck each. Nick (Bosco) just posted scans of his two 9.8's of #5. Should I have bought the rest of the run (13 on up)? (shrug)

And for me, the coup de grace of the day:

Sports Illustrated Vol. 40 #15 from 1974 celebrating Henry "Hank" Aaron's 715th home run (when he broke Babe Ruth's old record)

SportsIllustratedVol4015HankAaron.jpg

Picked it up for $5.00. :banana:

NewMutants98front300DPI.jpg

Picked this up at a garage sale last weekend for a dollar.

I'm not a NM/Deadpool fan by any means but hey if you have the opportunity and it's a buck............

Very nice find on the New Mutants #98. (thumbs u

I also made a nice haul today at a local garage sale. I got the following 163 DC books, almost all in 9.4 to 9.8 condition, for a grand total of $400:

66 Batman comics between issues 340 and 436

69 Detective Comics between issues 504 and 578

26 Justice League comics between issues 150 and 209

Supergirl 1

Wonder Woman 242

I got these from the same guy I got a bunch of Batmans from that I sold earlier this year. Almost all of them ended up CGC 9.6's or 9.8's. :banana:

Sweet! Did you find this book all by itself? Or pluck it from a pile of GAs or as a sleeper in a pile of newer drek? However it went down, nice find!

Very nice find on the New Mutants #98. (thumbs u

I also made a nice haul today at a local garage sale. I got the following 163 DC books, almost all in 9.4 to 9.8 condition, for a grand total of $400:

66 Batman comics between issues 340 and 436

69 Detective Comics between issues 504 and 578

26 Justice League comics between issues 150 and 209

Supergirl 1

Wonder Woman 242

I got these from the same guy I got a bunch of Batmans from that I sold earlier this year. Almost all of them ended up CGC 9.6's or 9.8's. :banana:

sweet! good luck on the others.

Sweet! Did you find this book all by itself? Or pluck it from a pile of GAs or as a sleeper in a pile of newer drek? However it went down, nice find!

This guy had boxes of GA - not much in the superhero area or in very good condition. I was looking through a pile of comics inside one of the buildings and a man came up to me and told me about this dealer and where he was. I didn't find him until the end of the day, but was glad I did.