• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,805 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Did you chat about the books, or just cut and run?  I'm curious how he ended up with two 103's, but no 102.

Got a phone call from a guy who knows I buy books.. Who gave me the books owner's number, really nice older fella who had these and a bag full of old Dell Four Color books.. I gave him a fair price for these but held off on the DFC books...

If youd look closely, youll notice that the one copy of 103 has marks on the cover (UPC box is marked black with a sharpie for one), which is why he had 2 copies. Not too sure why he was missing 102

I am pressing these now and Id expect them to be around the VF+/ VFNM mark, well see...

Before I left he told me that he has more books in his storage unit and that he will contact me about those as well... Ill update here if anything pans out

16 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Here is one you don't see every day. Found in a box of Archies.

IMG_1737.thumb.JPG.dcdf43398436cdf676f2ffbc63f15537.JPG

someone alert Old_Guy. he was always looking for these back in the day

25 minutes ago, CatskillMike said:

Got these at a newly opened antique shop- The ones with the yellow stickies are missing a page. I just got to figure out which ones you can throw the guide out on for pricing/value. Definitely not the usual 90's drek I was expecting.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

YOU DONE GOOD! 

10 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

Got these at a newly opened antique shop- The ones with the yellow stickies are missing a page. I just got to figure out which ones you can throw the guide out on for pricing/value. Definitely not the usual 90's drek I was expecting.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

Whatta score!  Real hard to find a pile like that out in the wild anymore. Did you buy them all?  And, I see at least two you can through the guide outta the window on...

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Whatta score!  Real hard to find a pile like that out in the wild anymore. Did you buy them all?  And, I see at least two you can through the guide outta the window on...

Definitely bought them all.  They were in an old box, and I took the whole box. I couldn't believe what I was looking at; there was a lot to take in. They were on consignment, and the shop owner hadn't even put them out yet, otherwise I think they would have been gone. The shop owner admitted he didn't know much about comics, but that he was easy to work with.To feel him out, I asked him if he had an asking price if I were to take 2 or 3 of them. He said no.  I asked him did he have an asking price for the whole box. He said no.  I couldn't tell if he wanted $5 apiece or $50 apiece.  So I shot him an offer and he took it.  Let's just say I didn't overpay.  A few do have missing centerfolds though.  

It's going to be awhile before I can top this one, if ever. 

17 minutes ago, CatskillMike said:

Definitely bought them all.  They were in an old box, and I took the whole box. I couldn't believe what I was looking at; there was a lot to take in. They were on consignment, and the shop owner hadn't even put them out yet, otherwise I think they would have been gone. The shop owner admitted he didn't know much about comics, but that he was easy to work with.To feel him out, I asked him if he had an asking price if I were to take 2 or 3 of them. He said no.  I asked him did he have an asking price for the whole box. He said no.  I couldn't tell if he wanted $5 apiece or $50 apiece.  So I shot him an offer and he took it.  Let's just say I didn't overpay.  A few do have missing centerfolds though.  

It's great to hear the negotiation and congrats on not taking no for an answer, and with respect while closing the deal. :)

those are pro tips!

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's great to hear the negotiation and congrats on not taking no for an answer, and with respect while closing the deal. :)

those are pro tips!

Yes the way it was explained that was excellent negotiating tactics👏👏‼️👍

17 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

Can't complain. Even though, it is a great finding with a great deal!   I found Gold Key Jonny Quest #1 VG. The antique dealer looked on while I flipped pages. It has $125 asked price so I explained the grading to him. He seemed uninterested so I offered him $50.  He reached for my hand. We shook the deal. I took it out of the shop but you got a best deal!  Pretty rare.

Edited by JollyComics

Hey Robotman,

You think that area has gone downhill? Have you been to Pomona's Antique Row recently? I was there last summer, and there were only two antique stores still there. Most of the storefronts were empty but there were some trendy little cafes. Sad when you look back only a few years and this area was 3 solid blocks of antique stores and malls. One of the bigger malls had just recently vacated when I was there, and they had a sign in the window: "After 28 years of doing business here we're closing; the rent is too high" (not an exact quote, but  that's the gist of their sign).

--ElJay

Hi ElJay

No, I haven't been to Pomona in many years. I used to love the street fair and scored there frequently. I was refering to the Orange Circle. It's on last legs too. The flea markets are real hit and miss. I always come home with something but have to look real hard and get lucky. I'm sure SO CA isn't the only casuality. I haven't been to Addamstown, PA for about 5 years. It used to be killer but I suppose it's probably the same. A real shame.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, CatskillMike said:

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

That witchcraft book is amazing!  

Highlights from the first 2 boxes - 

Huge flash run   1-163  all issues appear to be there.... decent shape with some minor storage issues ( not bagged and boarded) 

lol-  ambush bug...

Several long modern Superman title runs - 

Like action 779-822..

This is probably tech best group of the lot ( not supposed to be any high end keys in here ) - 

Sgt Fury 1, 7-13, 14-20, 

7F70F7EB-F6BD-4F27-8A6E-C0504E80C463.jpeg

EA82BDFF-0305-4EDB-8932-02989D26A852.jpeg

5F271AD1-7B34-40BD-A766-BC9DE8360F17.jpeg