• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, srezvan said:

Went to a yard sale that advertised comics. They had one long box and a random shopping bag of comics. Comics in the box were unorganized and facing every direction, mostly in bags. I asked how much and was told they belonged to her son, who is not here, but he'd like $300. It was mostly modern, 90% Nightwing and Lady Rawhide. I said thanks and looked around more. She then said they were $1 each. So I went back and picked out the few I wanted. She then proceeded to look up each on, I think on eBay, and tell me "$5 for this one, $4 for these, $3 for these...." and so on. I put all of them back except for the two below. I really didn't feel like arguing with the lady, so I bought these two and went on my way.

YardSale-2017-04-15.thumb.jpg.a7408e38bddf4e5eb96eb5ebcb1a9614.jpg

Wait, she quotes you $1 each and then starts checking ebay for prices? 

11 hours ago, srezvan said:

Went to a yard sale that advertised comics. They had one long box and a random shopping bag of comics. Comics in the box were unorganized and facing every direction, mostly in bags. I asked how much and was told they belonged to her son, who is not here, but he'd like $300. It was mostly modern, 90% Nightwing and Lady Rawhide. I said thanks and looked around more. She then said they were $1 each. So I went back and picked out the few I wanted. She then proceeded to look up each on, I think on eBay, and tell me "$5 for this one, $4 for these, $3 for these...." and so on. I put all of them back except for the two below. I really didn't feel like arguing with the lady, so I bought these two and went on my way.

Had it happen to me once and that's when I picked up my GI Joe 155. I politely told the lady that I really didn't have the time to wait for her to price 30 or so books and made her an offer (she took it). I also informed her that eBay asking prices are VERY different than sold prices. Of course they always look up the asking prices and never consider fees and shipping. I was fortunate that this seller understood. 

It would annoy me to have someone tell me $1 per book and then pull the old price lookup on ebay routine after I spent time going through a bunch of comics. Not sure how I would respond but it would not be very friendly.

Maybe I would find the absolute worst books in the lot and see if they priced those too. That way they would waste a ton of time looking them up after I left in a huff.

Edited by 01TheDude

14 minutes ago, Kreton said:

Picked up from a local Flea Market for $8.

2017-04-16 17.10.24.jpg

Sweet babbling brook that's a sweet deal, I haven't seen those as prevelant as say the Wolverine Frank Miller limited series.

Anyway Congrats as popular as Deadpool was/is you'd of thought someone would try to overprice it if anything lol 

On 2017-04-15 at 0:44 PM, srezvan said:

That's a nice find and a newsstand edition to boot! :applause:  What would you grade it?

Not comic related, but comics were the reason for it.

Was at a small flea market yesterday and saw a stack of Conans at the back of a guys space.  Took a look and while the top one was a Conan 17, the rest were 1980s beaters and the guy wanted $25 for them so I passed. Then I spotted a Samurai sword.  I run into a lot of them but most are cheap decorations made in China or Pakistan.  This one felt different. The engraving was amazing and as I went to open it, the guy warned it was very sharp. He was asking $75, and I offered him $50. He said it came with a presentation case and one look at it sealed the deal.

It had a little plaque stating this sword is given to XXXXX, head of the US Kempo Society by the Mushasi Company.  A web search showed it was one of three models, the cheapest sells for $750 and the most expensive, of which only nine were made sold for $7500.  I was hoping it might be the latter.

Took it to my guy who deals in all things Asian this morning and he said he would sell it for around  $1500-$1800. My usual deal with him is 20-30% on consignments but I'm going on  a collection related roadtrip this week so I asked what he'd give me in cash. We settled on $850.

This is the model it turned out to be.

http://musashiswords.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_9&products_id=22

Edited by shadroch

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Not comic related, but comics were the reason for it.

Was at a small flea market yesterday and saw a stack of Conans at the back of a guys space.  Took a look and while the top one was a Conan 17, the rest were 1980s beaters and the guy wanted $25 for them so I passed. Then I spotted a Samurai sword.  I run into a lot of them but most are cheap decorations made in China or Pakistan.  This one felt different. The engraving was amazing and as I went to open it, the guy warned it was very sharp. He was asking $75, and I offered him $50. He said it came with a presentation case and one look at it sealed the deal.

It had a little plaque stating this sword is given to XXXXX, head of the US Kempo Society by the Mushasi Company.  A web search showed it was one of three models, the cheapest sells for $750 and the most expensive, of which only nine were made sold for $7500.  I was hoping it might be the latter.

Took it to my guy who deals in all things Asian this morning and he said he would sell it for around  $1500-$1800. My usual deal with him is 20-30% on consignments but I'm going on  a collection related roadtrip this week so I asked what he'd give me in cash. We settled on $850.

Nice! I think i would have kept it. At least for a little while, but that's just me. Do you have a pic?

Just now, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Nice! I think i would have kept it. At least for a little while, but that's just me. Do you have a pic?

I just posted a link from their website.  I do have a photo but its of my friend being stupid with it and its not for the web.

Picked up this collection last night, about 11 long boxes. When I got to the guy's place I realized I knew him as a sometime seller at local shows, which means he knows what he's got, so I doubt there's gonna be any gold in them thar hills. But at about $20 a box, and the majority are bagged and boarded, this should be great fodder for 50 cent and $1 boxes. All indies except for a smattering of Marvels. A lot of what you'd expect (Image, Valiant) but also a nice selection of weird adult titles, some nude covers, and oddball stuff that I can usually find a good home for. If there's anything worth sharing, I'll post it up.

Photo Apr 17, 6 45 20 PM.jpg

Nothing terribly amazing, but I managed to find this somehow at $3. Not in perfect shape and it has a really unpleasant fold like someone rolled it up in half of something down the middle, but with a press, it'll be pretty ok. And at $3, I wasn't complaining. IMG_1206.JPG.f5c6192a9cda7db9be9df18e47f72386.JPG

12 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Got this for $100....one of the very few Showcase I have never had....

image.jpg

that cover is hilarious.  what a perfect conversation piece for wall art in the house

On 4/18/2017 at 8:34 AM, F For Fake said:

Picked up this collection last night, about 11 long boxes. When I got to the guy's place I realized I knew him as a sometime seller at local shows, which means he knows what he's got, so I doubt there's gonna be any gold in them thar hills. But at about $20 a box, and the majority are bagged and boarded, this should be great fodder for 50 cent and $1 boxes. All indies except for a smattering of Marvels. A lot of what you'd expect (Image, Valiant) but also a nice selection of weird adult titles, some nude covers, and oddball stuff that I can usually find a good home for. If there's anything worth sharing, I'll post it up.

Photo Apr 17, 6 45 20 PM.jpg

you had me at "weird adult titles.."