• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

If any of those Avengers #196 books are a 9.8 candidate I'd be interested :-)

If they are 9.8 canadits id be happy to sell them to you in a 9.8 case:)

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

:headbang: Are the Fox's gone Sha?!!!! 

Errrr....no, Gino, lol., my Fox books are safe;) So are the WW's ;)

I sold a Death of Superman, some TOS books I couldn't sell on eBay, and some weird stuff, like 15 cent Archies and 20 cent Fantastic Fours, a few 20 cent Tarzans,  some books at $10 each,  most  at $3- $5  each. I made $320, I have no idea how, the boxes are still pretty full;) 

Oh and Superhero pins, the  ones I used to give out for free.

Went to a street sale that had many different homes selling in their front yard today with my family.  Never in a million years did I expect to find these boxes of Archie’s, Charlton, Gold Key, and Walt Disney Comics. 

There are probably over 200 comics, don’t even know at this point have not had a chance to count it all.  Most books are in the Good to Fine range with some in the Very Fine range.  Many of the books are from the 1970’s to 1990’s era with a splatter of 1950’s to 1960’S books.   I liked Riverdale show, so not to savvy on Archie comics, but this will be a little fun endeavor.

Here are some pictures of the find.

Find.jpg

Find2.jpg

Find3.jpg

Find4.jpg

Find5.jpg

Edited by Mister O

1 hour ago, srezvan said:

Just one find this weekend from a small comic shop. Published in the 1940s with some interesting stories.

YardSale-2017-06-03.thumb.jpg.122d02805cc217c29f9fd59fecf1e310.jpg

Weird.  I bought one just this past week too.  Bad spine just like yours...

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, Bird said:

Okay, I talked to the guy with 40000 comics and talked and talked but no specific money talk yet. He is going to pull some titles for me to go look at, perhaps even next weekend.  He didn't think that he had some minor titles that I would have preferred starting with. Tons of lesser books as well but lots of good stuff. He knows his stuff ("Hulk? Oh that has first Wolverine right") but seemed open to making a deal a carload or so at a time. He stopped in 1996 from what he can tell. Every book is listed in his files. We had a very pleasant conversation about cons, art, Kree-Skrull War and the Buscema brothers (I am going to offer him a Big John Kang page from Avengers in trade although I think he will pass as he is a Sal fan). I told to go to Hawai'i when we are done and he said he wants a car for the wife. Maybe he'll take my Honda Fit!

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice.

The honest approach is the only way to go, be open and transparent with this guy.  I purchased a 7k collection of comics not that long ago, because my correspondence was professional (well-written), genuine and courteous (always thank people for their time) - it was a deciding factor in landing the collection. 

And to echo Mr. Donut, DO NOT CHERRY PICK.  You lose a lot of credibility if you just want to pick apart a collection, you can mention the time/cost of acquiring a large collection but I wouldn't go into that granular level until final negotiation of sale.  If it really is a preventative cost measure, offer to buy a large chunk of titles, sorted in some way that it shows you are serious and fair (title, years, alphabetical, etc.).   40k is a crazy amount of books, good luck!! :wishluck:

On 6/4/2017 at 2:08 PM, 1Cool said:

Thanks bird.  The Spawn 1s were some of the nicest books he had to I grabbed the whole stack.  I did pass up on a whole long box of Avengers Annual 10 since for some reason he had them priced high.  But 300 copies sitting there definitely was strange to see.

I was told some of the big NYC dealers ordered 5-10,000 copies each of Avengers Annual 10 figuring it would be a hot book. maybe that's a myth, but hearing about 300 does not shock me.

Went to a small show yesterday, trying to sell a handful to the dealers there, but no takers.  I did trade a Marvel v DC set for a New Mutants 100 though, and bought a Marvel Fanfare 6 for a buck because someone here posted the cover. At least I downsized a couple.:juggle:

Mostly Rebirth stuff for a dollar at the show, though.

Edited by SteppinRazor

Favorite thread ever! Caught up with the last few pages and the comics, finds and stories always makes the day even better.

This isn't a find in the wild but a gift from another comic collector friend that I met at an estate sale many moons ago. Long story short, it was a way to say thanks for locating new homes for a couple of his books; XM1 on the boards back in Feb and a Little Dot 1 that he found at an outdoor flea market. He visited today and handed this over. 

SS5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Half-Gringo said:

Favorite thread ever! Caught up with the last few pages and the comics, finds and stories always makes the day even better.

This isn't a find in the wild but a gift from another comic collector friend that I met at an estate sale many moons ago. Long story short, it was a way to say thanks for locating new homes for a couple of his books; XM1 on the boards back in Feb and a Little Dot 1 that he found at an outdoor flea market. He visited today and handed this over. 

SS5.jpg

That's one nice friend I would like to get to know

On 6/4/2017 at 9:57 PM, Mister O said:

Went to a street sale that had many different homes selling in their front yard today with my family.  Never in a million years did I expect to find these boxes of Archie’s, Charlton, Gold Key, and Walt Disney Comics. 

There are probably over 200 comics, don’t even know at this point have not had a chance to count it all.  Most books are in the Good to Fine range with some in the Very Fine range.  Many of the books are from the 1970’s to 1990’s era with a splatter of 1950’s to 1960’S books.   I liked Riverdale show, so not to savvy on Archie comics, but this will be a little fun endeavor.

Here are some pictures of the find.

Find.jpg

Find2.jpg

Find3.jpg

Find4.jpg

Find5.jpg

In terms of value, the main issue is how much did you pay?  10 cent archies sell nicely and early 12 centers do as well. Some of the giants too. The other stuff usually needs to be sold in lots.  I keep on buying archies out of cheap-o boxes when I see decent 12 or 15 centers and nice BA copies because i have some sort of mental illness, although the later stuff is actually "rarer" and I keep an eye out for early Cheryl Blossom issues.

On 6/3/2017 at 0:31 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I have bought once a collection like that. If you start going down a rathole with what books are in it, you will very very quickly explode the value.

Here is my absolute piece of advice. DO NOT CHERRY PICK. Take them all. Have a maximum number in your head - that number should be the absolute most you can get if you bought the collection and simply donated it for a tax write off. Do not go above that number. If you take all 40,000 books, 30,000 will be drek. Be prepared for that. Also, do you have a place to put 120 long boxes? That's a lot more than you think. Just as a point of reference, 30 long boxes fit in a minivan. 120 long is four minivans full. Remember that.

Very exciting though. 40,000 books is an amazing find. You may want to ask if you can pay on time - that's what I did when I found mine. That allows you to get books slabbed and flip to make your monthly payment. We did $80K in seven months. Was a lot of work, but now I'm sitting on pure profit.

On 6/3/2017 at 11:01 AM, Bird said:

Okay, I talked to the guy with 40000 comics and talked and talked but no specific money talk yet. He is going to pull some titles for me to go look at, perhaps even next weekend.  He didn't think that he had some minor titles that I would have preferred starting with. Tons of lesser books as well but lots of good stuff. He knows his stuff ("Hulk? Oh that has first Wolverine right") but seemed open to making a deal a carload or so at a time. He stopped in 1996 from what he can tell. Every book is listed in his files. We had a very pleasant conversation about cons, art, Kree-Skrull War and the Buscema brothers (I am going to offer him a Big John Kang page from Avengers in trade although I think he will pass as he is a Sal fan). I told to go to Hawai'i when we are done and he said he wants a car for the wife. Maybe he'll take my Honda Fit!

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice.

Bird:

Since you are in NJ and it's 40k books I'll just warn you about this lead.  It's likely a fake.  Every store in Jersey has been contacted about this lead and it's been around for several months. The guy you spoke to absolutely, at one time, had a lot of comics.  Rambles and knows a lot about comics, knows a lot of dealers etc.  He sets up a time but it never materializes.  Where are these books being stored?  He claims things like "his girlfriend" or "his house" and if he hasn't mentioned it already, will mention his brother.  His brother is actually an orthopedic physician (legit) and is the one who revealed that there are likely no books (because he owes his brother a bunch of money and his brother would love for it to be real, but despite being told about the books, his brother has never seen them).  He revealed his brother is mentally ill.  He likes to talk and talk and the reason you never talk money is that it generally is all talk.  

I can't imagine there's two 40k collections out there in Jersey being shopped like this right now, but I don't want you to get your hopes up in case it's the one I'm referring to, which I think it is.  He's contacted several stores in the area.  One did the leg work to follow up extensively, and it turned out fake.  The guy has been contacting folks for a few months.