• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

Church rummage sale walking distance from my house. Didn't know about it - opened this morning at 8 AM. Was walking the dog. Asked the woman at the front jokingly if there were any comic books.

She says I think there are in the back.

largefeaturecomic009.jpeg

webofspiderman106.jpeg

Edited by FlyingDonut

22 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Yesterday was quite eventful. Was planning on taking a 3 hour trip to look at a collection with my buddy and I got a call that morning from another guy that had books along the way. Looked at over 40 large storage contains of comics yesterday between the two and bought around 2 longboxes worth + a bunch of treasuries. We left my house at 11 AM and returned at 3 AM exhausted. Here's some of the better stuff.

19074608_10209283428182096_1658725561_o.thumb.jpg.c1070d23ad7ca9a14fff0ae33ed91848.jpg19125404_10209283428022092_501903775_o.thumb.jpg.6d5d269405f02d714e47a974efbd8bc8.jpg19074523_10209283427862088_945605256_o.thumb.jpg.0f814b34b86a453161cc43cb5e74bd8c.jpg19104987_10209283427942090_283144824_o.thumb.jpg.5e6a29a5c13cbd7a7a0202136da98b21.jpg19073054_10209283427902089_2134576935_o.thumb.jpg.4b16d39b8922adec75bc3c1626939016.jpg19096140_10209283428142095_1556121439_o.thumb.jpg.d299b0d7ab63e9d76a04e47591427f23.jpg

Dayum nice haul!

Turns out the guy from last week runs a small antique store in the area and has amassed a huge collection over the years with a bunch coming from closed out comic shops who just sold off their excess inventory to him and he seems to find a lot of comics in the houses he is hired to clear out.  Needless to say he has 75 long boxes in his store and a store room filled with 250-300 long boxes.  The boxes in his actual store looked pretty well picked over but that storage room was a pickers paradise.  He said he spent a week sorting thru the boxes and picked out 30 long boxes of books he felt to be $10/$25/$50 books based on the guide and then offered 1/2 bulk discounts so that was the stuff I picked thru last weekend.  I called him on Monday and he was busy until Friday or Saturday but said I should come by.  He said a guy came and bought $3,000 from the storage room (only mentioned a couple MGN 4 that he sold for $25 each) so I'm sure I missed out on some prime stuff because I had to work and get my daughter (adulting getting in the way!).

I booked out there saturday morning and the guy was right on time and explained all the books left over from his sorting were $1 but he would have to check out the guide if he saw a book he knew was hot.  I started digging into the 1st box and in walks another guy who was at the sale last Sunday - awkward!  Turns out the Johnny Come Later was looking for single issue of the key books for his "son".  He was nice and since he wanted only 1 copy we got into a rhythm of sorting thru a box each and yelling out titles in the boxes and going thru 250 boxes went much quicker with two sets of eyes.  He really didn't know much of the new hot books so I told him to grab a New Mutants 14 and put it on his stack - he thought it was a strange book but I told him to trust me it was worth $1.

The owner kept coming back and checking on us and he even went to get us cokes since we were both dying from throwing around long boxes to and from the shelves.  Great guy all the way around but really just wants to get out of the comic book business due to back issues and I'm happy to help his transition lol.  He also kept grabbing the long boxes full of books I wanted and looking up books in the guide to see if anything "was good" and I kept thinking he was going to check e-bay on some of the New Mutants books I really wanted but the only books he hit on was the X-Force 2 and the Infinity Gauntlet 1 which he jacked up to $5 a piece.  I grabbed all the IG 1 but only took the 2 or 3 best X-Force 2s and put the 30 other copies back.  He was ringing me out and said he had made an offer for all 250 long boxes on Sunday to a local dealer for 10K but may take a bit less (especially after I paid him $800 for 750 of the best ones).  I'll probably go back next Saturday to pick the bone clean but he seemed very motivated to clear them out so let me know if you have any desire to go negotiate for the remaining 250 long boxes.  Lots of 80s books with about a quarter early 90s books but damn that is a lot of books!

Here is the pictures from the sorting this morning but I won't bore you with the pictures of the Maxx 1s and a stack of other books that were border line $1 books that I thru on the stack since I was tired.

Edited by 1Cool

Just now, 1Cool said:

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

Look at you. I am not the only one who had a good weekend hunting comics! Well done! So many Deathmate Black?...wait, I also bought two a week or two ago when I had the chance so good score there as well.  B|

Deadly IG score too! I hope you bought at flipping prices. :wishluck:

$5 each for those IG 1s but they looked untouched so I'm happy to buy up the batch at that price.  I've been looking all over for that stupid New Mutants 14 and he had 10 copies sitting there waiting for me.  Hopefully a couple will be high grade.  Not sure if I really neede 70 copies of New Mutants 100 but since they are mostly high grade and for $1 each I couldn't say no.  The guy had done a pretty good job of picking out the big gems (or the guy on Friday) but I was happy with my haul.  I've already order a case of new bags and boards so I know what I'll be doing this week while watch tv.  

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

He said a guy came and bought $3,000 from the storage room (only mentioned a couple MGN 4 that he sold for $25 each) so I'm sure I missed out on some prime stuff because I had to work and get me daughter (adulting getting in the way!).

Glad you ended up with a good haul, but may I suggest next time just dropping your daughter at work instead.  Just don't forget to stick the red nose on her so they don't notice.

10 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

i see so many deathmate black now that i stopped buying them

Yeah, I've got a pretty good stack of them myself. Even if Gen 13 does pop again one day, there's a ton of supply out there. 

I have been picking up the Gold ones when I see them though. 

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I've got a pretty good stack of them myself. Even if Gen 13 does pop again one day, there's a ton of supply out there. 

I have been picking up the Gold ones when I see them though. 

Gold are the exception. Always pick those up

19 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Gold are the exception. Always pick those up

Been thru hundreds of long boxes and never seen even one of the gold versions but I keep looking.

I still like grabbing high grade Deathmate Blacks for $1 unless you get buried in them.  Look what is happening to Spawn 1 ($10 - $20 books at this point) and you can't get more copies available then that book.  Gen 13 is a great concept for a tv show or movie so I'd be happy to store away 50 unread high grade copies for $50.

Edited by 1Cool

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Been thru hundreds of long boxes and never seen even one of the gold versions but I keep looking.

I still like grabbing high grade Deathmate Blacks for $1 unless you get buried in them.  Look what is happening to Spawn 1 ($10 - $20 books at this point) and you can't get more copies available then that book.  Gen 13 is a great concept for a tv show or movie so I'd be happy to store away 50 unread high grade copies for $50.

Yeah, I'm still picking up Blacks as long as they're super sharp and $1 or less. But they gotta be purty for me to pick 'em anymore.

I've only picked up three or four golds in my bargain digging, but I'm holding onto them tight! For me it's also not just a spec pick, I'm actually a huge Gen 13 fan. It still astonishes me how many copies of the mini series #1 I've picked up for $1 or less, when that was a $50 wall book back when it came out. Hoping the team has their time in the sun again!

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I'm still picking up Blacks as long as they're super sharp and $1 or less. But they gotta be purty for me to pick 'em anymore.

I've only picked up three or four golds in my bargain digging, but I'm holding onto them tight! For me it's also not just a spec pick, I'm actually a huge Gen 13 fan. It still astonishes me how many copies of the mini series #1 I've picked up for $1 or less, when that was a $50 wall book back when it came out. Hoping the team has their time in the sun again!

Yes that mini is in those bins all the time. I've only found one newsstand of that book 

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Yes that mini is in those bins all the time. I've only found one newsstand of that book 

Same here! I have grabbed a bunch of #1's out of dollar bins, and have only a single NS to show for it!