• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

well, I found something at an estate sale but I did not buy it. This was 3rd/last day and of course the 6 tubs of comics were down to loose Archie digests. On etub had a BA11 on top in the photo, so between that and this I figured it was worth a short drive.

DDGcgdLUIAE_Zan.jpg

DDGcgdHVYAAsS-Q.jpg

If you cannot read the blue tape price tag it reads $750. This was in a very affluent neighborhood and the estate salesman said they had a standing offer of $200. I drove back home empty handed but it was worth a shot.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

well, I found something at an estate sale but I did not buy it. This was 3rd/last day and of course the 6 tubs of comics were down to loose Archie digests. On etub had a BA11 on top in the photo, so between that and this I figured it was worth a short drive.

If you cannot read the blue tape price tag it reads $750. This was in a very affluent neighborhood and the estate salesman said they had a standing offer of $200. I drove back home empty handed but it was worth a shot.

You should of tried tree-fiddy

jk

but definitely not sevun hunnit and fitty

okay now I'm done------play that funky music

1 hour ago, Bird said:

DDGcgdLUIAE_Zan.jpg

DDGcgdHVYAAsS-Q.jpg

I would never buy a used-couch, but those chairs with the black throw cushions are nice.

Found these, and a few other odds and ends, and at local charity rummage sale this morning, which my wife and I just happened to stroll by on our way home from breakfast:

june24-1_zps8pwvhddr.jpg

june24-2_zpsekzoqtah.jpg

This too...

june24-3_zps8grheiir.jpg

The comics are all very low grade, obviously, but they're complete with decent paper, and the 10-centers and earlier 12-centers are actually in slightly better shape than the later stuff.

I donated more than I should have for the box, but it went to a good cause.  Plus I almost never find stuff like this "in the wild" anymore, and just can't walk away from a box full of 50-60 year-old comics that somebody out there felt were important enough to save...

Edited by jools&jim

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Found these, and a few other odds and ends, and at local charity rummage sale this morning, which my wife and I just happened to stroll by on our way home from breakfast:

june24-1_zps8pwvhddr.jpg

june24-2_zpsekzoqtah.jpg

This too...

june24-3_zps8grheiir.jpg

The comics are all very low grade, obviously, but they're complete with decent paper, and the 10-centers and earlier 12-centers are actually in slightly better shape than the later stuff.

I donated more than I should have for the box, but it went to a good cause.  Plus I almost never find stuff like this "in the wild" anymore, and just can't walk away from a box full of 50-60 year-old comics that somebody out there felt were important enough to save...

Amazing find for a "walk by" Stuff like that just doesn't happen very often congrats!

eststecomics_zpsdxchfzjh.jpg

Estate Sale Madness...My wife has an app on her phone for estate sales and garage sales. So, she showed me this picture and asked if they were any good? Boing! GA comics at an estate sale only a couple miles from my house? I have to say, I thought about it a minute. I'd been sick all week. Besides, the compettition at those things are fierce around here. I set my self up for the big disapointment but thought what the heck, I really should give it a shot. Sale started at 9:00 no numbers just a line up. So I dragged my sick butt up at 5:00 and took off.

I pulled up to the house and noticed there were two older ladies and an older guy. I thought, maybe, just maybe the good lord pittied me. I was soon crushed when a guy showed up and said he got there at midnight and there was a "list" I found out he was #1 and was there for the comics! I thought about leaving when I heard several other people were there for the same thing.

I do lots of stuff other than comics and it looked like maybe a promising sale. I talked up the #1 guy and soon found out he was there for the Green Hornet, Batman and Superman only. We were getting along great and he said if I wanted the rest he would pass them to me first. Hey sloppy seconds never tasted so good. And, we didn't know if there were more or not?

The door opens at 9:00 and I squeeked in with my new found buddy. The comics were right at the check out table. The guy running the sale was amazed at how much interest they had garnered. Mr. #1 had spent an hour or so bragging about his collection so I figured he was a "player" When Mr. #1 found out they were over $10. each, he handed me the whole pile and left in discust. They were priced at $15-20. each. They were fairly low grade other than a couple. What was in the picture is what there was. I threw back the Looney Tunes and pulled out my wallet. I paid the guy and then he said, "Oh, here are two more I figured wern't worth anything because of their condition. Another Superman and a Detective #118 (Joker cover). Since I bought the rest, he just threw them in! Wow, from the outhouse to the penthouse!

I then walked around. The lady was a picker who worked for these estate sale people and had TONS of mostly junk. I did manage to find a nice shape cast iron fire engine toy, an unused Mr. Potato Head toy, a couple of turn of the century beer tin tip trays and a couple other things.

I still hate the pushing, shoving, whining and very aggressive folks at these sales but might try another one one of these days.

mrpotatoehead1_zpskpxdpl7b.jpg[/mrpotatoehead2_zpstbggwzc1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

eststecomics_zpsdxchfzjh.jpg

Estate Sale Madness...My wife has an app on her phone for estate sales and garage sales. So, she showed me this picture and asked if they were any good? Boing! GA comics at an estate sale only a couple miles from my house? I have to say, I thought about it a minute. I'd been sick all week. Besides, the compettition at those things are fierce around here. I set my self up for the big disapointment but thought what the heck, I really should give it a shot. Sale started at 9:00 no numbers just a line up. So I dragged my sick butt up at 5:00 and took off.

I pulled up to the house and noticed there were two older ladies and an older guy. I thought, maybe, just maybe the good lord pittied me. I was soon crushed when a guy showed up and said he got there at midnight and there was a "list" I found out he was #1 and was there for the comics! I thought about leaving when I heard several other people were there for the same thing.

I do lots of stuff other than comics and it looked like maybe a promising sale. I talked up the #1 guy and soon found out he was there for the Green Hornet, Batman and Superman only. We were getting along great and he said if I wanted the rest he would pass them to me first. Hey sloppy seconds never tasted so good. And, we didn't know if there were more or not?

The door opens at 9:00 and I squeeked in with my new found buddy. The comics were right at the check out table. The guy running the sale was amazed at how much interest they had garnered. Mr. #1 had spent an hour or so bragging about his collection so I figured he was a "player" When Mr. #1 found out they were over $10. each, he handed me the whole pile and left in discust. They were priced at $15-20. each. They were fairly low grade other than a couple. What was in the picture is what there was. I threw back the Looney Tunes and pulled out my wallet. I paid the guy and then he said, "Oh, here are two more I figured wern't worth anything because of their condition. Another Superman and a Detective #118 (Joker cover). Since I bought the rest, he just threw them in! Wow, from the outhouse to the penthouse!

I then walked around. The lady was a picker who worked for these estate sale people and had TONS of mostly junk. I did manage to find a nice shape cast iron fire engine toy, an unused Mr. Potato Head toy, a couple of turn of the century beer tin tip trays and a couple other things.

I still hate the pushing, shoving, whining and very aggressive folks at these sales but might try another one one of these days.

mrpotatoehead1_zpskpxdpl7b.jpg[/mrpotatoehead2_zpstbggwzc1.jpg

Hey congrats on the pick-up. I actually came across this ad, but not until Friday night and the sale started on Thursday, so I didn't bother. Besides it would have been about an hour and a half drive for me. That's the biggest problem about where I live, Inland Valley about 50 miles from LA, all the decent comic sales are closer to LA and very little is ever offered for sale near where I live.

11 minutes ago, Comicdave said:

Hey congrats on the pick-up. I actually came across this ad, but not until Friday night and the sale started on Thursday, so I didn't bother. Besides it would have been about an hour and a half drive for me. That's the biggest problem about where I live, Inland Valley about 50 miles from LA, all the decent comic sales are closer to LA and very little is ever offered for sale near where I live.

I used to do estate sales all the time but just got to be too big of a hassle and I was usually disapointed at the out come. This was a fluke and I was VERY LUCKY! Besides, it was about a 15 minute drive from home. If I were you, I would have passed. What got me about this one was the possibility of maybe a lot more books. But this was it. As you know the competition is just cut throat for comics out here. I buy other things other than comics. Actually the two tin turn of the century beer tip trays was really the find of the sale for me.

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I used to do estate sales all the time but just got to be too big of a hassle and I was usually disapointed at the out come. This was a fluke and I was VERY LUCKY! Besides, it was about a 15 minute drive from home. If I were you, I would have passed. What got me about this one was the possibility of maybe a lot more books. But this was it. As you know the competition is just cut throat for comics out here. I buy other things other than comics. Actually the two tin turn of the century beer tip trays was really the find of the sale for me.

I used to go to Garage Sales every Saturday and even though I rarely came across any comics, every once in awhile I would find that single item or even a collection that made it worth while. As an example I was at a sale awhile back where the seller had 3 boxes full of unused Testors model paint bottles. Probably around 600-800 total (most likely old store stock. Now I normally wouldn't have looked twice at them, but I heard the seller give some cheap price quotes for a few other items and decided to ask him what he wanted for all 3 boxes. He quoted me $20 for all of them. Didn't need to think about it even though it's not normally what I deal in. I ended up making around $1000 selling the paints in smaller lots of 60-75 bottles.

Unfortunately the pickings have been pretty slim of late. Either the sellers have already sold anything of value or have decided to try and get more for their stuff by selling it elsewhere. Either way, most of the stuff I see at garage sales now a days is tons of clothes, baby items, books, CDs/DVDs or other junk that in most cases should have just been thrown away. I miss the thrill of finding that hidden treasure.

Dave, the problem is where you live is pretty modern. Not a lot of old houses. There is still some stuff that comes out of the Riverside/San Berdo area. The other problem even the older areas have is time... The old folks are dying off or moving away. Younger folks move in and all the old junk is gone for good. There will probably always be some of those places that survive time. Plus, with the Internet, everybody is a "dealer" now. It's a lot more work than it used to be but magic does happen once in a while. 

Awesome score Robot Man!  I'm glad it worked out for you!  There was a week last year that I was super sick and decided not to go to my LCS on Wednesday.  I go there every single Wednesday and then eat dinner at the same restaurant across the street.  Well, the one Wednesday I don't go is the day they put out about a half a short box worth of golden age that came in the day before, including several Timelys.  Missed out on a few Marvel Mysterys and top 20 Superman issues.  Sometimes it pays to go even if you can barely walk. Again, congrats!