• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Need some advice.  I finally got some free time this weekend and was very excited to hunt for some comics.  I went out driving and probably went to about 9 garage sales and found NO COMICs at any of them... is this common?  How often do you all find comics at garage sales, is it a rare thing?  Is there anything I can do to make it a higher yield or is it just random?

I became pretty dispirited by the end and just ended up buying some cheap furniture... 

You need to focus on where the nerds dwell

3 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
20 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You need to focus on where the nerds dwell

Not lurk?

Where the nerds dwell while they lurk.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Need some advice.  I finally got some free time this weekend and was very excited to hunt for some comics.  I went out driving and probably went to about 9 garage sales and found NO COMICs at any of them... is this common?  How often do you all find comics at garage sales, is it a rare thing?  Is there anything I can do to make it a higher yield or is it just random?

I became pretty dispirited by the end and just ended up buying some cheap furniture... 

Were they advertising comics?

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Were they advertising comics?

no, I just was randomly drive around and seeing garage sale signs... where do you go to see advertisements?   craigslist?

One of these helps immensely!

Image result for divining rod jpg

17 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I live in a town of 100k people and its rare that i ever see garage sales advertising comics on kijiji (canadian craigslist). What i do is email every person having a garage sale and ask them if they have comics. If they say no then i know to avoid that one. I also will ask while at the garage sale if they have any for sale. Sometimes people will disappear into their basement and return with a box of them! It's rare but it happens.

I've also started collecting old books that catch my eye. Books are usually sold really cheaply at garage sales (a qaurter each) and you would be surprised how old some of them are if you dig through them. Even if they end up not being valuable at least they will look good on a shelf or provide some entertainment if you were to read them. 

Just now, Shawnismaximus said:

I live in a town of 100k people and its rare that i ever see garage sales advertising comics on kijiji (canadian craigslist). What i do is email every person having a garage sale and ask them if they have comics. If they say no then i know to avoid that one. I also will ask while at the garage sale if they have any for sale. Sometimes people will disappear into their basement and return with a box of them! It's rare but it happens.

I've also started collecting old books that catch my eye. Books are usually sold really cheaply at garage sales (a qaurter each) and you would be surprised how old some of them are if you dig through them. Even if they end up not being valuable at least they will look good on a shelf or provide some entertainment if you were to read them. 

okay, great!  That is similar to me, so that's good advice.

I went to a garage sale in my town yesterday that advertised comics. I got there at 8:30 open and there was one other older male shopper, surprisingly not interested in the comics. They were ultra moderns, in sets. I got new 52 Batman complete 61 comics NM or better books for $10. I spent $10 more dollars to cover my tracks and throw the guy a bone. I almost went back late in the day for the Batgirl set and maybe one or two others but ended up sitting pat.

Edited by Bird

10 minutes ago, Bird said:

I went to a garage sale in my town yesterday that advertised comics. I got there at 8:30 open and there was one other older male shopper, surprisingly not interested in the comics. They were ultra moderns, in sets. I got new 52 Batman complete 61 NM or better books for $10. I spent $10 more dollars to cover my tracks and throw the guy a bone. I almost went back late in the day for the Batgirl set and maybe one or two others but ended up sitting pat.

What service do you use to find garage sales?  Craigslist or a garage sale app?  My problem is my town is so small that I don't know if that many people collect comics here.

18 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

A common problem at garage sales as well as thrift stores. They are hit and miss. Usually miss out here. And when you do find comics, they are usually moderns which I have no interest in. I do a lot of other stuff besides comics so my odds are better. But even then it's pretty sparse. I go to old areas mostly. Most of the "old folks" have moved out and the younger folks have moved in. A lot of times, stuff just dumped in the trash or given to Goodwill. You usually end up driving around wasting gas and end up buying something you really don't want anyway. I have scored but not for a long time.

I drive up and look at the people holding it. If they are older, that is a good sign. If there are lots of boxes, also a good sign especially if dusty. Usually is plastic kids toys, excercise equipment and hosehold junk.

I would rather go to estate sales and flea markets. More chance of a score. A lot more people selling "stuff". A lot of general dealers shop the garage sales. I would be much happier to pay them a little profit to spare myself the time and hassle. Most of the time, they don't really know what they have if they are general antique dealers. I do a lot better at those.

Consistancy and patience is the key. Patience is a tough commodity in today's world. If you do it enough, you will eventually score. Don't give up after one or two weekends of hunting.

9 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

no, I just was randomly drive around and seeing garage sale signs... where do you go to see advertisements?   craigslist?

I would save yourself the hassle going to garage sales that don't advertise comics unless you happen to literally by driving by them.  It might not take a lot of time to view a few here and there, but get snake-bitten 100 times and you've wasted a ton of resources. 

Did anybody tell him were to look so that he could see said advertisements? 

@Wolverinex try estatesales.net    for estate sales, I don't know where you'd fine advertisements for "garage sales", I'd be curious about that myself. I suppose craigslist but I wouldn't use that, somehow garage sales are safer hahaha

20 minutes ago, spreads said:

I would save yourself the hassle going to garage sales that don't advertise comics unless you happen to literally by driving by them.  It might not take a lot of time to view a few here and there, but get snake-bitten 100 times and you've wasted a ton of resources. 

where do they advertise?

40 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Score! Wait 'till you start putting it together which you just have to do.

I collect these and have built all of mine.

lol Yep getting ready to do just that!