• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,840 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@F For Fake

Congrats!! :) That looks like fun. I never could keep action figures on cards in "great" condition, those look pretty nice for the age.

Thanks! Yeah, they're pretty sharp. I'm not one to get toys graded, so these probably aren't up to that standard, but for my purposes (especially considering the prices) they were just right.

Another day another weird one.

Luckily continued to find another 'Bluey and Curley' - fair only, and of course, a head in a ball.

Who doesn't need one of these?

PB290002.thumb.JPG.b3e7f7a1f04d428a433f327a6bbcdf88.JPGPB290001.thumb.JPG.34e0ec6d73aa54f46652d4770306bf40.JPG

2 hours ago, Beige said:

Luckily continued to find another 'Bluey and Curley' - fair only, and of course, a head in a ball.

PB290002.thumb.JPG.b3e7f7a1f04d428a433f327a6bbcdf88.JPGPB290001.thumb.JPG.34e0ec6d73aa54f46652d4770306bf40.JPG

That crystal ball...there's a story there, surely!

Picked up a bunch of books from Craiglist posting Tuesday night, as it turns out, from a dealer I've bought from before. Around 11,000 by my count (38 boxes packed full) at under 10 cents each. All Indies, and I'm certain no keys or anything, as the guy is a part-time dealer. But at that price, I will still do well. I bought 3000 books from him back in the spring and did very well with them, and he said he thought this was "better stuff" (I specifically asked for no Valiants or Ultraverse) so I'm pleased. This won't be a home-run, but for what I paid I should be able to keep a couple of boxes for myself, sell a chunk at a nice profit, and dump the rest. It's a lot of work for this many cheap books, but this is the part of the hobby I enjoy, digging and flipping. 

Of course, the part I don't enjoy is lugging the boxes around. They've only made it to my garage so far, still to make the journey up the steps into the house, then down the stairs into my basement. Ugh. Oh well, that's what I signed up for!

Here's most of 'em (a handful of boxes that I've been too lazy to move are still in the truck.) If anything truly remarkable pops up, i'll post it, but I expect it to mostly be copper indies and a smattering of 90's stuff, lots of runs, which is usually where the money is for me. There were a couple of boxes of adult stuff, which seems to do well for me also. (Lots of pervs with money about, bless 'em!)

Photo Dec 13, 9 17 37 PM.jpg

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Whenever I see boxes full of Indy books I think of Hector for some reason

Ha, yeah, I think Hector and I have similar tastes for sure, I have definitely picked up a bunch of indies from him in the past.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:31 PM, Beige said:

Plus this.

And I'd like some advice here

A film canister with film in great condition marked "SVE Producers Of Visual Aids"

"Willie Mouse 'The Cat and The Bell' Walter Lantz"

Its from 1938

Anyone got any info, I'd be thrilled!

g.thumb.JPG.17ace034e900df92243a9605a2c544ce.JPG

Willie Mouse was originally named "Baby Faced Mouse", and was a star in a short lived series of Walter Lantz cartoons, that didn't really take off, but was renamed "Willie Mouse" by castle films, i guess, assuming that "Willie" would sell more films than "Baby face". I don't know, I like the original name.

These arew the titles of the cartoons :

Cheese Nappers
The Big Cat and the Little Mousie
The Cat and the Bell
The Sailor Mouse (a.k.a. Sailor Boy)
Disobedient Mouse (a.k.a. baby face Battler)

All five cartoons came out in 1938.

5 hours ago, topcat54 said:

Willie Mouse was originally named "Baby Faced Mouse", and was a star in a short lived series of Walter Lantz cartoons, that didn't really take off, but was renamed "Willie Mouse" by castle films, i guess, assuming that "Willie" would sell more films than "Baby face". I don't know, I like the original name.

These arew the titles of the cartoons :

Cheese Nappers
The Big Cat and the Little Mousie
The Cat and the Bell
The Sailor Mouse (a.k.a. Sailor Boy)
Disobedient Mouse (a.k.a. baby face Battler)

All five cartoons came out in 1938.

Thankyou - that's why I love this place.

I was struggling to find much info, so this is a great starting point

You are a star (unlike Willie apparently!)

17 hours ago, Beige said:

That's kinda creepy 

15 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Picked up a bunch of books from Craiglist posting Tuesday night, as it turns out, from a dealer I've bought from before. Around 11,000 by my count (38 boxes packed full) at under 10 cents each. All Indies, and I'm certain no keys or anything, as the guy is a part-time dealer. But at that price, I will still do well. I bought 3000 books from him back in the spring and did very well with them, and he said he thought this was "better stuff" (I specifically asked for no Valiants or Ultraverse) so I'm pleased. This won't be a home-run, but for what I paid I should be able to keep a couple of boxes for myself, sell a chunk at a nice profit, and dump the rest. It's a lot of work for this many cheap books, but this is the part of the hobby I enjoy, digging and flipping. 

Of course, the part I don't enjoy is lugging the boxes around. They've only made it to my garage so far, still to make the journey up the steps into the house, then down the stairs into my basement. Ugh. Oh well, that's what I signed up for!

Here's most of 'em (a handful of boxes that I've been too lazy to move are still in the truck.) If anything truly remarkable pops up, i'll post it, but I expect it to mostly be copper indies and a smattering of 90's stuff, lots of runs, which is usually where the money is for me. There were a couple of boxes of adult stuff, which seems to do well for me also. (Lots of pervs with money about, bless 'em!)

a long box of "adults" can only yield something special

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, F For Fake said:

Two years ago I helped a friend sort through 20k independent books; he asked for my help since I know a lot more about indy books than him.  The take-away was it ended-up being a colossal waste of time, and I'm pretty sure he still has the bulk of them left.  He admitted to me later on that it was a mistake and he wouldn't have bought the lot (even though it probably only cost him 1-2k).  

I don't mind buying a collection of indys if it was a collection, that's where you see more obscure (horror) or popular stuff (dawn, caliber comics, dark horse, quality vertigo, popular chaos comics, gore, rare indys from the 80s, etc.) that you can sell, but an old store stock or former dealer makes me think they weren't able to move it.  I hope that's not the case for you, but man going through 20k books and not even seeing more than a few hundred that had any kind of demand was super devastating.  I just bought a small collection the other day that had a bunch of Indy garbage: Now Comics, First Comics, Eternity Comics, stuff like beauty and the beast - straight to the recycling bin!  lol 

I'm curious why you wouldn't want Valiants?  With that collection of 20k comics, the only saving grace was early and late issues Valiants.  At 10 cents each, assuming the Valiants aren't all Turok 1s or Rai 9s, good runs of any of those titles (even the commons) and especially later issues are books that you can actually move (granted it might be at 50 cents or 1 each) but people do want them.

Edited by spreads

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Two years ago I helped a friend sort through 20k independent books; he asked for my help since I know a lot more about indy books than him.  The take-away was it ended-up being a colossal waste of time, and I'm pretty sure he still has the bulk of them left.  He admitted to me later on that it was a mistake and he wouldn't have bought the lot (even though it probably only cost him 1-2k).  

I don't mind buying a collection of indys if it was a collection, that's where you see more obscure (horror) or popular stuff (dawn, caliber comics, dark horse, quality vertigo, popular chaos comics, gore, rare indys from the 80s, etc.) that you can sell, but an old store stock or former dealer makes me think they weren't able to move it.  I hope that's not the case for you, but man going through 20k books and not even seeing more than a few hundred that had any kind of demand was super devastating.  I just bought a small collection the other day that had a bunch of Indy garbage: Now Comics, First Comics, Eternity Comics, stuff like beauty and the beast - straight to the recycling bin!  lol 

I'm curious why you wouldn't want Valiants?  With that collection of 20k comics, the only saving grace was early and late issues Valiants.  At 10 cents each, assuming the Valiants aren't all Turok 1s or Rai 9s, good runs of any of those titles (even the commons) and especially later issues are books that you can actually move (granted it might be at 50 cents or 1 each) but people do want them.

Pretty crazy that he can't make his money back when only paying 5 to 10 cents a comic!  Really sounds like a cautionary tale for buying indie comics. I'm new to buying collections (I'm going to set up a booth at my towns local comic-con this summer), and I really don't know much about indie. Any advice on what to look for when looking through indie books? Any titles that are big sellers?

57 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Pretty crazy that he can't make his money back when only paying 5 to 10 cents a comic!  Really sounds like a cautionary tale for buying indie comics. I'm new to buying collections (I'm going to set up a booth at my towns local comic-con this summer), and I really don't know much about indie. Any advice on what to look for when looking through indie books? Any titles that are big sellers?

Hot scantly dressed women covers are always good sellers

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

More pouches on cover = more money in your pouches.

14 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Hot scantly dressed women covers are always good sellers

I think you should be able to make the money back, but its just a matter it being worth the time and effort.  If have a regular set-up at local shows or flea markets, it should be doable to have dollar boxes or quarter boxes (or fill up a long box for $X), or if you itemize your tax deductions, you can donate X books per year for a few years to maximize your deductions.  But yes, at some point it may not be worth storing the comics or lugging them around to shows, at which case hopefully you can put out a craigslist ad and minimize your losses selling by the longbox (or group of longboxes). 

If you just do online sales....you're boned.

Edited by revat