• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Whoa those are some wicked books. 

How did you and the seller come to an agreement on price? I always find that to be the hardest part of the deal so I'm interested in how people do it, especially when there are some real books of value involved. 

Doing the dance can be a little tricky sometimes

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

How did you and the seller come to an agreement on price? I always find that to be the hardest part of the deal so I'm interested in how people do it, especially when there are some real books of value involved. 

That's like asking a top salesman, 'how do you close?'.     All part of the learning curve.  :gossip:

33 minutes ago, spreads said:

That's like asking a top salesman, 'how do you close?'.     All part of the learning curve.  :gossip:

Meh, no harm in asking. I know some people keep their methods close to the chest, but I tend to think an open discussion about would really just benefit everyone involved. Plus I just find that part of the transaction really interesting.

1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

I don't mind sharing info.

The guy used to buy comics from me at shows years ago....hasn't been buying for quite a while now.  He called me cause he needed some money and knows I would be honest with him on evaluating the books.  Key books I paid 75% of guide...non-key 25% of guide.....miscellaneous stuff I paid $1-$5 each depending on what I thought I would charge.  Wasn't going to look up everything in the guide when I know if I'm just going to put it in a $5 box or whatever.

Won't get rich buying this way but it's fair and the seller is almost always happy when I do a deal like this....

37 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

The guy used to buy comics from me at shows years ago....hasn't been buying for quite a while now.  He called me cause he needed some money and knows I would be honest with him on evaluating the books.  

That would be great if you had your original condition stickers, this isn't NM....more like a F+.  (:

Edited by spreads

Geeze, ease up on the ladies Drak!

Save some for us.

Almost got a complete run now for a buck a book.

Got a 3, 10 and 13 for 5 bucks each or less. Passed on a low grade 2 but I know I am gonna have to pay $$$ for a #1.   Maybe.....

drak3.jpg

About a month ago a lady had a long box of Marvels, FM Daredevils, Iron Man in the 40-60 range (No 55) all nice flat glossy with water damage at the bottom staple. Rusted almost to dust and paper almost disintegrating or sticking to the other books.  :cry:

19 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

The guy used to buy comics from me at shows years ago....hasn't been buying for quite a while now.  He called me cause he needed some money and knows I would be honest with him on evaluating the books.  Key books I paid 75% of guide...non-key 25% of guide.....miscellaneous stuff I paid $1-$5 each depending on what I thought I would charge.  Wasn't going to look up everything in the guide when I know if I'm just going to put it in a $5 box or whatever.

Won't get rich buying this way but it's fair and the seller is almost always happy when I do a deal like this....

Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like the guy who sold them to you got a pretty good deal himself (for not having to put in the legwork to sell them). A good deal all around!

12 hours ago, jcjames said:

lol when Baldwin drifted into "Always Be Closing" instead of "Cobbling". Probably has that whole speech still memorized.

Ya the whole scene is gold (my all-time favorite SNL scene).  When it aired those who are familiar with the skit were dying with laughter, the rest of the audience didn't know what was going on.