• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Where was this?

Never you mind. lol  He offered $10 a book for a long box of Avengers Annual 10 but I passed for now.  

Edited by 1Cool

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Hit up the flea market/consignment store yesterday that almost crushed me 6 months ago.  I let the dust settle (literally) so the store owner could get stuff situated and forget about all the chaos.  I spent 6 hours digging thru 300 long boxes and we still couldn’t agree on a price for the stupid overstock extravaganza (he was at $7,500 and I couldn’t justify more then $5,000).  Oh well - I did grab 4 long boxes of choice stuff that I either missed the 1st time or the books have gone up since.  I can’t believe how sore I am after moving around 300 long boxes but I’ll eventually get up and post some pictures.  I did have a smile on my face all day yesterday - just is nothing like flipping thru books all day.

Longboxes are heavy, no doubt about it.  I'm a very active male, play all kinds of sports/exercise and moving them around tires me out too.  I don't think we'd put ourselves through that unless we really loved this hobby.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Never you mind. lol  He offered $10 a book for a long box of Avengers Annual 10 but I passed for now.  

Oh, was it the guy who had a long box of water damaged ones that he was saying were NM?

14 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Oh, was it the guy who had a long box of water damaged ones that he was saying were NM?

Probably.  I think he stopped quoting grades after people started complaining.  There are some nice ones in the mix but half did look to have some staining to the upper edge.  That's why I passed on the box but hopefully he will let me pick out 100 of the best ones for $1,000 next time.  Not a race with that guy.

5 hours ago, spreads said:

What's the deal with that Marvel Team-Up?  You loaded up on those...

I was thinking the same thing lol I think the cover is great and with it being a Miller cover and story - the price was right for me to grab a stack. They seem to be easy add on sales item if someone is grabbing a few other books.

Got this lot today. My favorite part is the Indiana Jones figures. The Disney stuff looks interesting. The Mickey Push-Up Puppet is (c) 1977 and still works. I didn't see a copyright date on the Minnie bank. I never collected or had any of the 12" Joes, but they came with the Indiana Jones figures.

20180512_162807.thumb.jpg.4a5b3a842600bc4b686c292482d7e578.jpg

20180512_163148.thumb.jpg.f1b5ef7b98330998b4f72ce39193df58.jpg

20180512_163817.thumb.jpg.7635281349d37fa6c3cc3e7ea68a7582.jpg

20180512_164149.thumb.jpg.42ee25b19616dd29c6c55aeb1d94d185.jpg

3 hours ago, srezvan said:

Got this lot today. My favorite part is the Indiana Jones figures. The Disney stuff looks interesting. The Mickey Push-Up Puppet is (c) 1977 and still works. I didn't see a copyright date on the Minnie bank. I never collected or had any of the 12" Joes, but they came with the Indiana Jones figures.

20180512_162807.thumb.jpg.4a5b3a842600bc4b686c292482d7e578.jpg

20180512_163148.thumb.jpg.f1b5ef7b98330998b4f72ce39193df58.jpg

20180512_163817.thumb.jpg.7635281349d37fa6c3cc3e7ea68a7582.jpg

20180512_164149.thumb.jpg.42ee25b19616dd29c6c55aeb1d94d185.jpg

Congrats on the Marion in the dress!  The only Indy fig I could never get.  Well done!

On 5/6/2018 at 6:21 AM, mysterio said:

I’ve heard this said about boats in particular, but I think it applies to damn near everything: “The two happiest days in a boat owner’s life are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.”

My fathers spin on this was that buying his boat was the 2nd happiest day of his life and selling the boat was his #1 happiest day

Huge score to kick off the first great yard sale day of the season! It was a beautiful, sunny, 90 degree day here on Saturday, so I thought I'd hit up some garage sales. Found an ad on CL that advertised thousands of dollar comics for sale, sale kicking off at 8am. Got there at 7:59, and the comics, of course, had all been sold. Ah, yes. Gotta love those early birds.Jerks.

At any rate, the kid was apparently a flea market seller who was getting out of the game, and was getting rid of EVERYTHING. I noticed that he had a large stash of Joes, and he was very motivated to move them all. I only had enough cash on me to pick up about half of them at first, but then I ran to the bank and went back for the rest. Aside from the box of junked vehicles for $10 (should be able to make more than that on the various missiles alone) these are all later Joes. What I really wanted were the 2001 RAH Two-Packs, as I believe these were the last Joes to feature the original molds and O-rings. Most of them are just repaints of older figures. So those are pretty cool. I think I picked up pretty close to a complete set, plus lots of dupes. Those will move easily.

Less interesting to me were the GI Joe vs Cobra 2-packs, as I never liked that big shouldered body style, and some Spy Troops. But he made me a pretty great deal on them if I'd agree to haul them all out, so away they went. Shouldn't have any trouble moving those either.

SO, at this point I was junk drunk on my first major score of the 2018 garage sale season, and decided to head to another CL advertised sale that also mentioned comics. When I arrived there were just a couple of long boxes and a bunch of Funko Pops. At first I believed that I was going to have to be satisfied with the Marvel Tails #1 for 25 cents, but then I spotted the Teen Titans 12 for a buck, so that definitely made the trip worthwhile!

Man, it's the most wonderful time of the year!

Photo May 12, 11 17 04 AM.jpg

Photo May 12, 11 14 21 AM.jpg

Photo May 12, 11 12 30 AM.jpg

Photo May 12, 11 11 21 AM.jpg

Photo May 12, 11 09 18 AM.jpg

Photo May 13, 7 46 19 PM.jpg

Glad you made a good haul. Always fun to make a score. I know nothing of these personally as they seem quite modern. 

But, I have to take a bit of offence at your term "early bird jerks" I am probably one of those folks myself. In all the years I've been doing this, I have learned how early you need to get up and how hard you have to work to make a good score. If I don't someone else will. Would I be disappointed? Sure. Would I call them "jerks"? Heck no. What makes you think that nobody should buy anything until YOU get there? Want the good stuff? Better work a little harder and get there a lot earlier.

By the way, how much did you expect to find from a dealer getting out of the business? I doubt you missed much...

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Glad you made a good haul. Always fun to make a score. I know nothing of these personally as they seem quite modern. 

But, I have to take a bit of offence at your term "early bird jerks" I am probably one of those folks myself. In all the years I've been doing this, I have learned how early you need to get up and how hard you have to work to make a good score. If I don't someone else will. Would I be disappointed? Sure. Would I call them "jerks"? Heck no. What makes you think that nobody should buy anything until YOU get there? Want the good stuff? Better work a little harder and get there a lot earlier.

By the way, how much did you expect to find from a dealer getting out of the business? I doubt you missed much...

I love the people who say "no early bird sales" and then you show up and its all sold.  Guess their no sales rule went out the door when people are throwing cash at them.

I expect to show up while the seller is putting stuff out.  I even help sometimes.  My beef is with people who buy stuff the night before the sale. I missed a Spidey 3 for $200 that way not long ago.  That's not cool.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Well, for one, the "jerks" was a humorous aside, but perhaps that doesn't translate on a message board. I call everyone jerks, even people I love. Jerks, one and all.

However, I do think that if a time is set for a sale to start...then that's when the sale should start. So maybe my problem isn't with the early bird jerks, it's with the sellers who let stuff go before their advertised time. Sure, I probably didn't miss much, but if you state a time, you should stick with it.

Edited by F For Fake
jerkstore

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

So maybe my problem isn't with the early bird jerks, it's with the sellers who let stuff go before their advertised time. Sure, I probably didn't miss much, but if you state a time, you should stick with it.

I think the sellers care more about selling than being fair to future customers that may or may not exist. Bird in the hand kind of thing. Stinks for us but it's human nature, their goal that day is to sell, and if they can they will. Yard sales probably don't care about repeat customers, word of mouth, etc.

I agree, it's in poor taste to show-up super early.  I've ran garage sales and put stuff out exactly when advertised, so there is seller responsibility but getting there a few hours early or the night before has nothing to do with 'hard work or motivation', it's just a bit sleezy.  :P

59 minutes ago, spreads said:

I agree, it's in poor taste to show-up super early.  I've ran garage sales and put stuff out exactly when advertised, so there is seller responsibility but getting there a few hours early or the night before has nothing to do with 'hard work or motivation', it's just a bit sleezy.  :P

I agree but if you wait for the disclosed opening you will miss out on 90% of the good deals.  People will call and ask for a couple pictures and give the person a 50% deposit sight unseen.  Or they will say they will pay 50% more then the asking if they can come to see the books that evening (mother is sick or some other excuse why they can't make it the following day).  I hate breaking down the door before a sale but similar to getting in early at a Con during set up - 1st person gets the goods no matter how you got there.

Edited by 1Cool

10 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I agree but if you wait for the disclosed opening you will miss out on 90% of the good deals.  People will call and ask for a couple pictures and give the person a 50% deposit sight unseen.  Or they will say they will pay 50% more then the asking if they can come to see the books that evening (mother is sick or some other excuse why they can't make it the following day).  I hate breaking down the door before a sale but similar to getting in early at a Con during set up - 1st person gets the goods no matter how you got there.

I've offered more than what was asked to lock-down an item; I'm not arguing with you just saying it's a bit sleezy.  There's a well-known comic reclycer that uses the 'these are for my son line'....I would never go that far, intentionally lying to low-ball someone on something that's already priced very-attractively.

Edited by spreads