Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
54 54

11,348 posts in this topic

607 posts

Picked up some books for a dollar each.

Mads are from 1972 to 1982. Classic Illustrated are from the late 50's. A lot of the Mad's are subscription copies - they have a brown wrapper that is basically an outer cover. The staples for the book go through the brown shipping wrapper too. In some cases the mailing label is still on them. Whoever had the subscription got lucky as none of them have a subscription fold.

The ones that I didn't take looked like 1990's Marvel drek (although I could be wrong on that). Some Marvel series called Life Force or something like that, I'll do some looking and see what they are about.The only older Marvel is the Invaders and Wolverine you see in the picture. There were two lone Charlton comics and one Whitman which I picked up.

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
741 posts
18 hours ago, ThreeSeas said:

Picked up some books for a dollar each.

Mads are from 1972 to 1982. Classic Illustrated are from the late 50's. A lot of the Mad's are subscription copies - they have a brown wrapper that is basically an outer cover. The staples for the book go through the brown shipping wrapper too. In some cases the mailing label is still on them. Whoever had the subscription got lucky as none of them have a subscription fold.

The ones that I didn't take looked like 1990's Marvel drek (although I could be wrong on that). Some Marvel series called Life Force or something like that, I'll do some looking and see what they are about.The only older Marvel is the Invaders and Wolverine you see in the picture. There were two lone Charlton comics and one Whitman which I picked up.

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

With 25c covers, those Classics are from the early 1970s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
607 posts
30 minutes ago, Brock said:

With 25c covers, those Classics are from the early 1970s.

Thanks for the info. I only looked inside one, and it had a date of 1957. I'll have to check the rest. The HRN's on the back were all 169. The HRN's for the Junior editions was 576. I'll have to see if the Overstreet guide gives a published date. I never knew they were still printing them in the 70's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,661 posts
Just now, ThreeSeas said:

Thanks for the info. I only looked inside one, and it had a date of 1957. I'll have to check the rest. The HRN's on the back were all 169. The HRN's for the Junior editions was 576. I'll have to see if the Overstreet guide gives a published date. I never knew they were still printing them in the 70's.

That's why you have to use the HRN, they never changed the indicia.  169 Negro Americans came out in 1969, and without looking, I think there were no 2nd prints.  I'm unaware how long they kept printing afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
741 posts
27 minutes ago, ThreeSeas said:

Thanks for the info. I only looked inside one, and it had a date of 1957. I'll have to check the rest. The HRN's on the back were all 169. The HRN's for the Junior editions was 576. I'll have to see if the Overstreet guide gives a published date. I never knew they were still printing them in the 70's.

HRN 169 are generally 1969 through 1971, though there may be some outliers. They're great books, though not super valuable... My recollection is that the Tale of Two Cities and the Soldiers of Fortune are a little tougher than the others here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36,361 posts
Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, Brock said:

With 25c covers, those Classics are from the early 1970s. 1971.

 

Edited by FlyingDonut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
457 posts
On 5/19/2019 at 7:07 PM, Robot Man said:

Cold, wet and rainy at the flea market today. Who would bring out paper? No comics but was happy with these.

4DA33942-D531-47D0-AB0F-061D806E3DD0.jpeg

79A77983-CAC7-427D-8DC3-23327921806B.jpeg

Those startling covers are fantastic. Great finds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,992 posts
1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Stopped by a new 2nd & Charles store that just opened up in Owensboro. We don't have them here in Louisville (yet?) but they appear similar to HPB. Nothing notable comic wise, but dug a few keepers out of the dollar box, including a dollar Dave book and a few 50 cent AH covers. 

The big win was the two copies of the Hickman Avengers Omni. $45 each. These sell for $250-$300, so I was pretty surprised. 

IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7729.JPG

was wondering if you'd get on the boards today lol i assume you have the day off :wishluck: 

congrats on the finds and :wishluck: on the "yet" since you since you need more dolla bins 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,672 posts
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

was wondering if you'd get on the boards today lol i assume you have the day off :wishluck: 

congrats on the finds and :wishluck: on the "yet" since you since you need more dolla bins 

Thanks man! Yeah, I was off today, we've actually been out of town since Friday, went down to the lake, where we have no internet or cell reception, which is very relaxing. We usually run over to Owensboro for BBQ during these trips, which this time included a trip to a new strip mall development, lots of discount stores like Ross, Tuesday Morning, Gabes, etc. I'd never heard of 2nd & Charles before, but I was stoked because they had tons of comics. I spent an hour or so digging, but 99% of it was drek, unfortunately. Still, enjoyed the digging!

Edited by F For Fake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,992 posts
4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks man! Yeah, I was off today, we've actually been out of town since Friday, went down to the lake, where we have no internet or cell reception, which is very relaxing. We usually run over to Owensboro for BBQ during these trips, which this time included a trip to a new strip mall development, lots of discount stores like Ross, Tuesday Morning, Gabes, etc. I'd never heard of 2nd & Charles before, but I was stoked because they had tons of comics. I spent an hour or so digging, but 99% of it was drek, unfortunately. Still, enjoyed the digging!

awesome! glad you had fun! LCS got in a YYUGE collection, so i went to pick up scraps, that comic con wiped me out :eek: 

owner talked to me and was cool about it and excited to get in so many books.....

so of coursei had to buy "something" :foryou: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,172 posts
10 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I think I lost my mind. I have not bought books like this for a lot of years, lol...but I couldn't help myself. I have not even gone through all the boxes yet. There are lots of Richie Riches.

Supposedly 1400 comics

20190601_131307.thumb.jpg.c856d3c4c256d94c53fb16d853768fc6.jpg20190601_135034.thumb.jpg.123fd82a2e07283ebc9656b98b991418.jpg20190601_135102.thumb.jpg.d4be91773b12e431b0264cae0f32740f.jpg

20190601_135046.jpg

:applause: I'm glad you're buying again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,955 posts
2 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

:applause: I'm glad you're buying again

Can you please call my husband and tell him that;) ?He said something about putting them on the dining room table, lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,172 posts
14 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Can you please call my husband and tell him that;) ?He said something about putting them on the dining room table, lol 

lol I've got boxes in my kids closet, our closet, in the bedroom, living room, dinning room :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,955 posts
2 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

lol I've got boxes in my kids closet, our closet, in the bedroom, living room, dinning room :facepalm:

Before my daughter went to college (and freed up her room for comic books;) I had boxes lining the hallway;) Thankfully we've moved and instead of downsizing like normal people, we upsized, I have more closets ...but I just realized that might have been  a joke, we don't HAVE a dining room table, I converted that room into a den, we  just have a big kitchen table;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
54 54