Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
53 53

11,645 posts in this topic

1,056 posts
10 hours ago, Eddragon said:

Here are pics after swapping out the old bags for new bags and boards...

32 books in the pics with another dozen or so books not shown ( Image, 80s Jonah Hex, wizard 0s, and a origins of marvel comics tpb)

 

ACCD24AD-1554-4086-B9AA-5A3A18075C95.jpeg

08000507-5674-4F05-9DC9-24A03392B30C.jpeg

3BEC4A9A-55B9-4FA1-A9FE-63F732250E04.jpeg

D6D3D188-F8E2-42D7-BD1C-D83F92FED056.jpeg

1FB01F64-5AFA-4B50-9D69-604951BB1182.jpeg

Very cool! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,693 posts
2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Ok not at ALL comic related, but just pretty cool I think -

1958 Schaub-Lorenz Primaballerina radio/phonograph, found in working condition at Goodwill. Sputnik-era West-German electronics!
20190611_192844-1.jpg

20190611_193152.jpg

FM works great, AM tuner doesn't go full bandwidth, record player is not original and needs replacing anyway. 

Warm, rich, full vacuum-tube sound. :cloud9:

Will probably do some work restoring it (I think most caps and pots are original). Love the magic eye! And it works!

Check those power supply capacitors.  They can cause a lot of damage when they go and being that old, they probably are ready.  Had an issue with a 1961 Fender Bassman Amp, took out the output transformer when they went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157 posts
17 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

Check those power supply capacitors.  They can cause a lot of damage when they go and being that old, they probably are ready.  Had an issue with a 1961 Fender Bassman Amp, took out the output transformer when they went.

I've never worked on an amp or set like this. But I am eager to learn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,693 posts
Just now, jcjames said:

I've never worked on an amp or set like this. But I am eager to learn!

If you never have worked on something like this, be very careful.  Those old capacitors can hold a big charge that can injure or kill.  You are dealing with a lot higher voltages than the electronics today use.  If you have no electronics experience, you may want to find someone who works on these to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157 posts
9 hours ago, aszumilo said:

If you never have worked on something like this, be very careful.  Those old capacitors can hold a big charge that can injure or kill.  You are dealing with a lot higher voltages than the electronics today use.  If you have no electronics experience, you may want to find someone who works on these to do it.

Yeah, I know. I found an antique radio club in the area I'll contact for help. I have some electronics experience, at least enough to know I need a bit more when dealing with 2-400v caps! Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65 posts

Curio and junk store with a ton of eighties comics close to my place had this Eclipse Miracleman hardcover. Not one of the super rare ones but still a steal at $25 Canadian in near perfect shape. 

IMG_20190614_175214.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
349 posts

Picked up these books today at 2 local antique stores, for $30 total, pretty stoked about the Thor 390, Green Lantern 201 and Howling Commandos of Shield 1. The others filled holes in my collection

20190615_155857.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,155 posts
Posted (edited)

My kid and I made our 10th Annual Father's Day road trip to the flea markets and antique malls in central PA today.  Here's what I came home with:

A no-brainer $20 flea market lot of SA & BA readers (click on the pic below for a larger and non-blurry image)...

2vdpmiw.jpg

...and, unexpectedly!, two '60s DC war books for my Full Date Stamp Collection from an antique mall across the street from the flea market...

6nwcxc.jpg

2wf4qvq.jpg

All in all, a good time was had by all...!!!  Happy Father's Day, lads, to all the dads out there!!!

 

Edited by jools&jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,175 posts
On 6/7/2019 at 9:32 AM, spreads said:

Is that an original cover?  The colours look almost too good not to be.  

Yes, best golden age I have seen up close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,999 posts
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:03 AM, rlextherobot said:

Curio and junk store with a ton of eighties comics close to my place had this Eclipse Miracleman hardcover. Not one of the super rare ones but still a steal at $25 Canadian in near perfect shape. 

IMG_20190614_175214.jpg

I've seen the TPBs a few times, I'm guessing they're a lot more common?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65 posts
Just now, spreads said:

I've seen the TPBs a few times, I'm guessing they're a lot more common?

Yup, although still not easy to find. Volume 3 ("Olympus") still goes for $100+ in softcover in worn shape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,999 posts
4 minutes ago, rlextherobot said:

Yup, although still not easy to find. Volume 3 ("Olympus") still goes for $100+ in softcover in worn shape. 

It's good to know these things, I buy and sell Trades all the time....there's only a handful I can think of that are rare or valuable enough, not to blow out at 70% off retail....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,023 posts
33 minutes ago, Bird said:

Here are some books at the estate auction I am at today. These major comics start at 4 pm with a nice AF15! They have JIM83, ToS39, Spider-Man 1 and a bunch more. The Hulk 2 has some tears in the cover but I may try for it anyway. This place usually gets strong prices. I will try to get a picture of the AF15 upload and will come back and edit tonight with final prices if I remember to write them down. They have 2 Avengers 4s as well and one is pretty nice.

D9hIP9lXUAMf8_8.jpg

D9hIP9pXkAAKNki.jpgD9hIP9jXYAUgmZz.jpgD9hINRpXYAQgh_v.jpgD9hINRrXoAUo-jm.jpgD9hINRsXkAURFbg.jpgD9hINRsWsAAyl15.jpg

Nice,  what are you going to pick up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,937 posts
54 minutes ago, Bird said:

Here are some books at the estate auction I am at today. These major comics start at 4 pm with a nice AF15! They have JIM83, ToS39, Spider-Man 1 and a bunch more. The Hulk 2 has some tears in the cover but I may try for it anyway. This place usually gets strong prices. I will try to get a picture of the AF15 upload and will come back and edit tonight with final prices if I remember to write them down. They have 2 Avengers 4s as well and one is pretty nice.

D9hIP9lXUAMf8_8.jpg

D9hIP9pXkAAKNki.jpgD9hIP9jXYAUgmZz.jpgD9hINRpXYAQgh_v.jpgD9hINRrXoAUo-jm.jpgD9hINRsXkAURFbg.jpgD9hINRsWsAAyl15.jpg

Damn, hope you brought your checkbook!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,842 posts

Good luck, Bird! Even if you don't win anything, make sure the bastards pay good for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
53 53