• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,806 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

These books have prices on the bags... how could he not know that some of them were worth more than 10 cents? 

(shrug) 

Hadn't opened the boxes for years?  Didn't care?  Who knows?

Most comics didn't have prices....No pics forthcoming of the boxes of that drek....

Most likely he knew that several comics had more value....he was just expecting that by selling everything at once to have to sell them at bulk prices I guess.....he was happy that didn't end up being the case....

26 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

(shrug) 

Hadn't opened the boxes for years?  Didn't care?  Who knows?

Most comics didn't have prices....No pics forthcoming of the boxes of that drek....

Most likely he knew that several comics had more value....he was just expecting that by selling everything at once to have to sell them at bulk prices I guess.....he was happy that didn't end up being the case....

Totally ...  As long as both parties are happy... it's a good deal for all involved.

Congrats on the great haul.

dude on facebook marketplace has graciously offered his collection of "mostly marvels" to me for $650. I have yet to be provided with (1) how many books are involved; (2) titles; (3) age or any of the above as the picture was meaningless. Are we in a world where everyone thinks a random pile of drek is worth $650 and they need not bother describing it? As I had not heard back from him for 2 weeks my guess is that some other people have looked at his pile and offered him $6.50, so he figures 100X that is FMV.

Edited by the blob

22 minutes ago, the blob said:

dude on facebook marketplace has graciously offered his collection of "mostly marvels" to me for $650. I have yet to be provided with (1) how many books are involved; (2) titles; (3) age or any of the above as the picture was meaningless. Are we in a world where everyone thinks a random pile of drek is worth $650 and they need not bother describing it? As I had not heard back from him for 2 weeks my guess is that some other people have looked at his pile and offered him $6.50, so he figures 100X that is FMV.

This appears to "how all the kids are doing it" nowdays... I can't believe some of the blurry, badly cropped photos full of reflections books that are offered on Instagram with a "make an offer LOL" and no grade or description on decent money GA books. And, I guess people bite. (shrug)

Not how I buy or sell. I don't give my good money to lazy or sloppy sellers.

48 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This appears to "how all the kids are doing it" nowdays... I can't believe some of the blurry, badly cropped photos full of reflections books that are offered on Instagram with a "make an offer LOL" and no grade or description on decent money GA books. And, I guess people bite. (shrug)

Not how I buy or sell. I don't give my good money to lazy or sloppy sellers.

I guess I could spend Saturday mornings driving around and inspecting collections. OTOH I have about 30,000 comics already and would like to sell about 27,000 of them.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Lmao you never know tho maybe he has a key that he or she does not know about

Edited by silversufer27

22 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

The small show that I was at Sunday turned out better than I could have hoped for.....of course I picked up the Superman fan club stuff and the Marvelmania posters at the show (earlier post) which was awesome but I also got a lead on a collection.  

Guy came to our booth and said he had about 25 long boxes of comics from the late 80's to the early 90's he wanted to sell.  I told him that I buy that stuff but don't pay a lot except for a few key issues.  That was sort of what he expected.  

The show was a couple hours from my place but I still wanted to look at the collection so when setting up a time to view them he said "well, I don't live close to here".  No problem for me I travel to look at books.....however it turns out he lived only 10 miles from my house....lol.

Went last night to evaluate the collection and the 1st box I looked in had some 70's comics so I told him that it looked like he had some older/better stuff than he had told me at the show....

After I finished looking at everything and writing down my notes on the collection I asked what he was looking to get....he said that he figured the best he would get was around 10 cents each....at that point I told him he was in for a very pleasant surprise because I would be offering him a substantial amount more than that!

I gave him my offer which he immediately accepted and 26 boxes came home with me.....

A couple highlights....

20191105_195625.jpg

20191105_214503.jpg

20191105_212154.jpg

20191105_212137.jpg

20191105_201829.jpg

You met him at a Con where people were selling books he owned for hundreds of dollars but he thought he only had $0.10 per book in value.  Maybe he completely forgot what he had which is even stranger since every collector I meet at Cons has a photographic memory of the books in their collection "Just checking on prices since I have two of those".  Regardless - great score and good on you for offering a fair price.

I saw something that looked good on FB marketplace, but would involve a drive to NJ, and I KNOW the reasonable # being quoted for the pile of decent comics would change by the time I got there. Even with the distance shots the pile definitely looks worth the amount demanded (plus the drive). But if they suddenly want $500, I am out gas and tolls and 6 hours of my life.

20 hours ago, the blob said:

I guess I could spend Saturday mornings driving around and inspecting collections. OTOH I have about 30,000 comics already and would like to sell about 27,000 of them.

I'm with you.

13 minutes ago, Gravin said:

Hi all! I love the hunt and really enjoy all these stories - They give us hope to keep scouring the wild for great books that have lost their way

Here is my most recent entry - Garage sale (actually a barn sale if you believe that) 

Nabbed these for $25 - Certainly can't complain

49029358487_144687c8d3_z.jpg20191107_062242 by Stephen Gardner, on Flickr

Awesome :) I had a shot at the Thor not too too long ago, but I ponied up for JIM #89 since they had both :) 

Congrats!

On 11/6/2019 at 9:23 AM, Bearcatcoach said:

The small show that I was at Sunday turned out better than I could have hoped for.....of course I picked up the Superman fan club stuff and the Marvelmania posters at the show (earlier post) which was awesome but I also got a lead on a collection.  

Guy came to our booth and said he had about 25 long boxes of comics from the late 80's to the early 90's he wanted to sell.  I told him that I buy that stuff but don't pay a lot except for a few key issues.  That was sort of what he expected.  

The show was a couple hours from my place but I still wanted to look at the collection so when setting up a time to view them he said "well, I don't live close to here".  No problem for me I travel to look at books.....however it turns out he lived only 10 miles from my house....lol.

Went last night to evaluate the collection and the 1st box I looked in had some 70's comics so I told him that it looked like he had some older/better stuff than he had told me at the show....

After I finished looking at everything and writing down my notes on the collection I asked what he was looking to get....he said that he figured the best he would get was around 10 cents each....at that point I told him he was in for a very pleasant surprise because I would be offering him a substantial amount more than that!

I gave him my offer which he immediately accepted and 26 boxes came home with me.....

A couple highlights....

20191105_195625.jpg

20191105_214503.jpg

20191105_212154.jpg

20191105_212137.jpg

20191105_201829.jpg

I’m trying to get my head around this.....

The owner of these books was at a comic convention where all of the books posted above would be highly visible wall books with hefty price tags, and yet they still chose to liquidate the entire collection at 10 cents a piece????

The owner could sell the 181 alone and get more than his $650 ask price.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

5 hours ago, the blob said:

I saw something that looked good on FB marketplace, but would involve a drive to NJ, and I KNOW the reasonable # being quoted for the pile of decent comics would change by the time I got there. Even with the distance shots the pile definitely looks worth the amount demanded (plus the drive). But if they suddenly want $500, I am out gas and tolls and 6 hours of my life.

hook me up bro!

13 hours ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Here are a few group shot pics of some X-Men and Wolverine (and a few others) from the collection.....nice to get a decent amount of good books all together at one time.....

20191106_202008.jpg

20191106_201906.jpg

20191106_183655.jpg

20191106_183808.jpg

20191106_183928.jpg

What's the deal with the blank box X-men 118? 

Kind of cool with no spidey or UPC. 

Patrick

8 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

What's the deal with the blank box X-men 118? 

Kind of cool with no spidey or UPC. 

Patrick

I think comics like that are Marvel Whitman variants....

There is an old thread around here somewhere that gives a detailed explanation on them....