• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Today a buddy and I were driving to check out a thrift store where the owner told me he just got a few boxes of comics arrived. So I took a look to see what I can find catching my eye fancy. Lots of modern derks, some older marvel, DC... nothing I see. Then I found a few ones that got me curious and interesting. One book I did have to pay as I’ve never seen before and the two others - Golden Arrow #3 low grade and a coverless Mutt and Jeff comic as free with my other cheap comics.

Anyone ever seen this comic book? It looks to be a Canadian edition with white pages. Far as what I figured ... it seem to be a collection of few stories from Active Comics bundled into a thick 68 pages. No number, no date but I assume to be late 1940s maybe?

1C969573-2F16-419E-A541-43B46E8F514F.jpeg

66E55868-B8EF-417E-83DD-C496A2C1F482.jpeg

Wow, thrift stores damn I miss ‘em...:sorry:Still locked down here. My favorite flea market would have been tomorrow. If staying home helps to end this, I can deal with it,

Yes a Canada book. Post it in the Canada thread over in the GA section. You will find out anything you want to know. 

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, thrift stores damn I miss ‘em...:sorry:Still locked down here. My favorite flea market would have been tomorrow. If staying home helps to end this, I can deal with it,

Yes a Canada book. Post it in the Canada thread over in the GA section. You will find out anything you want to know. 

Thanks, will do that the GA section

On 5/14/2020 at 11:05 AM, Comics-n-ERB said:

Okay, I'll play.

Several months ago I found a guy that had some comics he wanted to sell.  (I ended up getting them).  This man was a true hoarder.  Paths through his house, couldn't even get in the kitchen, doors wouldn't open fully; truly the worst cluttered place I had ever been in.  Anyway.........

He also had a near complete collection of Arkham House books.  For those not familiar with Arkham's, they are a specialty publisher of books starting in 1939.  He was missing less than 20 books from 1939-2010.

I was able to talk him into letting them go.  Here they are in my house.  Chronological order.  The last two shelves are stacked two deep.

He also had a real nice paperback collection.  Took another trip, but I got that too.

IMG_4758.jpg

That's a great score! You rarely see these Arkham books for sale anywhere; I love old book stores and these are far and few between. I've been reading a Penguin books collection of Lovecraft these past couple of weeks. I'm in the middle of The Shadow Over Innsmouth which is a seriously Weird Tale!! Congratulations on an incredible purchase.

52 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Does anyone think there will be any deals after the various antique stores and flea markets open again? After a couple of months of no income I would think these folks would be looking to get some cash flowing.

I actually think stores will sell at premium.. I'm treading going to comic shows because I know dealers know that comic guys are "itching for a fixing" .. and they know the comic online market is hot so I don't expect any deals whatsoever just the usual. balance

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Does anyone think there will be any deals after the various antique stores and flea markets open again? After a couple of months of no income I would think these folks would be looking to get some cash flowing.

Maybe, but I doubt it on the better stuff. The good stuff always sells healthy. Most are doing sales online anyway. 

Frankly, I can’t even imagine when flea markets will open up around here. Or, how well attended they will be when they do. Most of the attendees (buyers and sellers) are older folks. I know I won’t be setting up for a while. I might not even attend for a while. 

Actually, for the first time in my life, I have no plans and am not even trying to set any dates. 

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Most antique stores are used to little to no income. lol

2 hours ago, spreads said:

Most antique stores are used to little to no income. lol

Yesterday-1.jpg?resize=1920,1080

Since 1976, the leaning, yellow shack has sat at 1143 W. Addison St., just a block from Wrigley Field. The shop was known for its expansive collection of relics and oddities, as well as its rejection of modern technologies like credit card readers, computers and cash registers.

Tom-Boyle.jpg?w=620 Tom Boyle, founder of Yesterday, died in December at 88 years old.

Yesterday closing - Chicago/Wrigleyville --full article

case in point - never been there but it has old school comic shop written all over it

Edited by 01TheDude

Yesterday was one of those fun days.  I looked and my honey hole antique shop had just opened up on Tuesday so I thought it was a good time to go hit him up.  It's a bit of a drive but never disappoints when I make the trek.  This is the same place that almost crushed me in a mountain of long boxes so it was good to give the owner some much needed cash and I got some sweet books.  Here are some pictures of my grabs from the first 100 long boxes - hoping to go back next Saturday and grab another couple long boxes.  I'd love to grab the whole thing but he quoted me $50K for the whole 300 long boxes and I was more in the $15K range so I'm happy to get my couple grand worth of books and keep him happy.

I really, really wanted to check to see if he still had that long box of AVengers Annual 10s he had last year but I didn't want to be too eager.  Talked about several other books and talked about buying the whole thing and I kind of casually mentioned the Annual 10s and if he still was swimming in copies.  He had quoted me $20 a piece last year with maybe a slight bulk price break for bulk - this year he was a bit more wiling to entertain a whole long box offer and the deal was done.  Quite a few (70% or so) have some old water damage to the top edge but nothing too bad especially since they look high grade otherwise.  I'll squirrel these away and sell them off maybe 30 - 50 a year and see where Rogue goes over the next couple years.

The Two-In One was another long box book and I grabbed about half of a box of the nicer stuff.  Lots look to be a press away from the 9.4 - 9.8 range and it will be fun to see how many 9.8s I get out of the batch.  Thinking about it now I probably should have grabbed the whole long box since I like Champion and at $1 a piece you really can't go wrong.

Oh - the Moon Knights are a funny story.  I'm digging thru long boxes and he comes back and asks me what is up with Moon Knight.  A guy keeps coming in and grabbing short boxes full of Moon Knights and only grabs the absolutely highest grade copies.  Fill him in on the show rumors and how the cool covers have really caught on.  Even with that info he lets me grab quite a few at his bulk prices.  All the really hot issues were of course gone but I'm loving the shape of the issues I was able to grab.

Got to get back to planting some flowers for the wife - hope you guys have a great day!

8 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Yesterday-1.jpg?resize=1920,1080

Since 1976, the leaning, yellow shack has sat at 1143 W. Addison St., just a block from Wrigley Field. The shop was known for its expansive collection of relics and oddities, as well as its rejection of modern technologies like credit card readers, computers and cash registers.

Tom-Boyle.jpg?w=620 Tom Boyle, founder of Yesterday, died in December at 88 years old.

Yesterday closing - Chicago/Wrigleyville --full article

case in point - never been there but it has old school comic shop written all over it

I've been there.  When I was in college I lived about 2 miles from Wrigley. As well as comics, I was into sportscards, and autographs.  I remember I got a Mitch Williams autograph (the eccentric Cubs reliever, who later as a Phillie infamously gave up a homer to Joe Carter and a Blue Jays walk off World Series win).  He too had a Mitch Williams autograph in a case (looked absolutely nothing like mine, that I just got from the real person).  The one in the case looked like a 5 year old wrote the name on it, and he had some jacked up price on it.  So I assumed he knew nothing of autographed sports cards, and never bought any thing from this store. 

4 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I've been there.  When I was in college I lived about 2 miles from Wrigley. As well as comics, I was into sportscards, and autographs.  I remember I got a Mitch Williams autograph (the eccentric Cubs reliever, who later as a Phillie infamously gave up a homer to Joe Carter and a Blue Jays walk off World Series win).  He too had a Mitch Williams autograph in a case (looked absolutely nothing like mine, that I just got from the real person).  The one in the case looked like a 5 year old wrote the name on it, and he had some jacked up price on it.  So I assumed he knew nothing of autographed sports cards, and never bought any thing from this store. 

was the comic selection anything of interest? Lot of back issues and how well was it organized? Give us an idea what the place was like-- I'm assuming it had that old comic book smell-- along with possibly a cigar smell.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

was the comic selection anything of interest? Lot of back issues and how well was it organized? Give us an idea what the place was like-- I'm assuming it had that old comic book smell-- along with possibly a cigar smell.

Unfortunately, this was 1990, so I don't really remember much about the inventory in the store, although 'dusty', and 'sticky' come to mind,

4 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I went there as a kid. The owner recently sold his personal stash to a comic shop in Chicago, and it contained some nice stuff. Action 2 in sharp midgrade, etc.

22 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's a great score! You rarely see these Arkham books for sale anywhere; I love old book stores and these are far and few between. I've been reading a Penguin books collection of Lovecraft these past couple of weeks. I'm in the middle of The Shadow Over Innsmouth which is a seriously Weird Tale!! Congratulations on an incredible purchase.

Awesome Lovecraftian swipe !