• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,807 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Garage sale pickups from this morning. I've visited this guy and his son several times, they get good stuff at real good prices. They're holding onto the Thor 2 & 10 to send to CGC, but I got a good price on the rest. Super stoked about the Milk and Cheese 1 first print, it's  really nice. (Scans over in the this week in your collection thread.)

IMG_2342.JPG

My, I saw this in "this week in collection" first, and I understand why you put it there first 

Sweet!

53 minutes ago, cabinboy said:

Picked this up at an estate sale this morning- wasn’t cheap, but was able to bundle with lots of other stuff so that the total price for everything I purchased was very reasonable.  The estate had literally tens of thousands of books - but very little in the way of comics (although it was day 3 of the sale).

What’s interesting about this (to me) is that it appears to be a reviewer copy - but the bibliography is still cut out - although the classified ad inside said it was intact. 

4B3740BF-C27E-45F1-8BC4-6E5EE279A5A2.jpeg

Thats pretty cool! Since its an advanced copy, I'm assuming that it's a first print?

On 10/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, spreads said:

I'm just waiting for a seller to have a massive haul of books, invite someone over, have them spend all their time cherry-picking and grabbing books and then at the end say "thanks for telling me what I should look up!  Have a goodnight!"  :D 

I had this happen with a couple of guys. The last one I accidentally dropped the stack of books in the parking lot we were in. I told him I'd still buy most of the books at the price we had agreed on, but he passed. He was mad, but didn't do anything about it because I look really mean. 

Edited by Real Elijah Snow

39 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I had this happen with a couple of guys. The last one I accidentally dropped the stack of books in the parking lot we were in. I told him I'd still buy most of the books at the price we had agreed on, but he passed. He was mad, but didn't do anything about it because I look really mean. 

It almost happened in that buy I posted.. the seller really wanted a lot more. closer to $100-150.. he said anything less than $100 wasn't considered a sale to him and he said he was fine if a sale didn't happen. I was already uncomfortable paying $80. So a friend I was with (who was friends w the seller) offered to buy him dinner. Then the sale was closed. The seller had the feeling about valuable key modern issues based on how they standout from the rest of the runs.. but he knows Overstreet doesn't really price modern fair market values well

On 10/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, srezvan said:

I have fond memories of a much younger me going to the skating rink with my friends and buying the unauthorized Marvel prism stickers from a vending machine (I still collect these if anyone is looking to sell any). So, I've had a sticker vending machine on my want list for a while now. The machines are readily available online for a few hundred and used on eBay, but shipping is always a beast. I was visiting my family, and this popped up for $25, or $20 if I could get it today, I was told. Traveling with two kids, we had a lot of stuff in the back of the SUV, but we made the room. I'm told it works, but I haven't tried it yet. No keys, so I'll probably need to replace the locks. It'll be a fun project to do with the kids - clean it up, paint it a fire hydrant red, and put some better advertising on the front. The second picture is my shirt from loading this into the car - the machine was caked in dust from sitting in storage for years.

Vending Machine 01.jpg

Vending Machine 02.jpg

I tested the vending mechanism and it still works. So now the fun begins. One lock was open and the other was not. No keys included. I just googled how to pick a vending machine lock and it was as simple as drilling a few holes. Took about 2 minutes. Then I took the machine apart and hosed it down, after taking out my 4 quarters, of course. Used a razor blade to remove tape and other junk. Used a wire brush to clean up the rust spots. About 20 minutes worth of cleaning. The red paint will arrive tomorrow. Still need to order keys and clean the chrome parts, like the quarter mechanism, then do some touchup around the pulls and make a new advertising sign.

Clean 01.jpg

Clean 02.jpg

21 hours ago, littledoom said:

It almost happened in that buy I posted.. the seller really wanted a lot more. closer to $100-150.. he said anything less than $100 wasn't considered a sale to him and he said he was fine if a sale didn't happen. I was already uncomfortable paying $80. So a friend I was with (who was friends w the seller) offered to buy him dinner. Then the sale was closed. The seller had the feeling about valuable key modern issues based on how they standout from the rest of the runs.. but he knows Overstreet doesn't really price modern fair market values well

So instead of giving the guy more money, you let you friend pay him via dinner?! lol. 

First, I have to thank @mrwoogieman for passing this estate sale information to me. 

I have never gone to anything advertised as an estate sale or things like this so I did not know what to expect.   It turned out to be more of a garage sale with the way things were run, which I am guessing was due to current social distancing practices.  

I got there at 10am and there were people already looking over the high end Lego sets.  Here is the thing, the more recent a lego set the more likely you are going to find a sealed copy of that set.  All of these sets had the boxes and were taped shut with the all of the pieces and instructions supposedly inside.    When it comes to newer Lego sets the pieces are often very exclusive to that set.  Back in the 80's and 90's there were fewer variations and a smaller color palette.  So... long story short... the risk is always high when it comes to buying opened lego sets from the past fifteen years.  If the pieces are missing it is not likely that some of those pieces are always easy to find.  

On older sets though... the boxes are harder to find.  The pieces are easier to source since Lego sets were a little more simplified.  The value in the older sets are in the boxes.  So... without being able to check the contents I paid for the sets knowing I was getting at east mostly complete sets, the instructions and the boxes.   I peaked inside each of them.   Worse case scenario if there was a piece missing, that part would be easy to replace. 

So... all this from the late 80's - very early 90's + the more recent Indiana Jones set for $45.  I picked up any of these older sets that were on the table. 

I just finished checking the contents.... and true to the seller's words... all complete.   Very pleased picking this up.  

Thanks again @mrwoogieman

I also wound up hitting up two Targets, a Walmart and three comic shops while I was in the area.  

As far as comic shops, 

Picked up a NM 9.4/9.6 copy of Star Wars Kanan 1 for $20 at Fourth World Comics in Smithtown - You are not really finding GA or SA here but they have such a big selection. 

Picked up a NM copy of ASM 850 and 851 at Lost Planet Comics in Bayshore - very nice store for new stuff. 

Picked up ... nothing at Next Generation Comics & Cards in Islip Terrace since despite being advertised as being open... when I went by they were closed. 

IMG_0517.jpeg