• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverton (?) on ebay...

8 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180390068091

This caught my attention a few days ago, and to my very very untrained eye looked reasonable.

But my lack of experience with Wolverton originals, the creative wording in the auction description, the apparent inexperience of the seller with original art, the "no returns" policy and the pictures the seller chose to display (the huge blow-up in the "art gallery" and the crazy frame vs. anything more useful) made me think better of getting involved.

The fact that it only got one bid and went for $99 seems to point to it being a bit fishy, right? Anyone with a better eye for Wolverton care to chime in?

based on the wording alone I wouldn't touch it.

Also, it doesn't look like wolverton to me. Look at the bow in the girl's hair. That doesn't look at all right IMO although I'm not an expert and am just 'eyeballing' it without reference to other BW works in front of me

I think the seller went out of his way to let you know he didn't think it was either.

"Drawn in the style of R. Crumb, Basil Wolverton and Ed Roth (Rat Fink Illustrator) this is an incredibly detailed, unique piece of art, regardless of its actual creator."

Big flag right there, IMO.

-e.

it looks reasonable to me and I've had lots of and still have 12 or so Wolvertons

however that doesn't mean it can't be a copy or who knows what

$99 is a fair price to take a chance I guess

of course the text in the listing doesn't make you comfortable